PDA

View Full Version : Lee Old Army 45 boolit through a Marlin 45-70 microgroove

pull the trigger
07-25-2013, 10:46 PM
In the interest of conserving lead has anyone successfully used the Lee mold for a ruger old army 45 in a marlin 45-70? Lee says they are .456 but I think they could be beagled a little. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

Geoff

jh45gun
07-26-2013, 03:02 AM
To me all of the charm of shooting a 45 /70 is shooting a heavy lead bullet.
I guess if it was me instead of beagling and messing around with that I would buy a 300 grain mold made for the 45/70

Nobade
07-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Those Lee boolits have a rebated base and are not the best choice for what you want to do. But paper patching 45 ACP boolits works extremely well in my 1895 CB, although accurate they don't hit anywhere close to the sights. But 230gr. going 2600 fps kind of turns it into a 444.

-Nobade

pull the trigger
07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Those Lee boolits have a rebated base and are not the best choice for what you want to do. But paper patching 45 ACP boolits works extremely well in my 1895 CB, although accurate they don't hit anywhere close to the sights. But 230gr. going 2600 fps kind of turns it into a 444.

-Nobade

I like that idea alot, I have been curious about the paper patch too. Thanks!!!

Geoff

pull the trigger
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM

-Nobade

I guess I should ask what is your system, what kind and how much paper and powder? Do us a certain table for powder loads?

Dan Cash
07-26-2013, 09:41 AM
In my experience, the Lee Old Army mould does not work satisfactorily for what it was intended. I doubt it will render satisfaction for anything else.

Nobade
07-26-2013, 11:11 AM
I guess I should ask what is your system, what kind and how much paper and powder? Do us a certain table for powder loads?

I would recommend reading the stickies in the smokeless paper patching room before proceeding - they will explain this way better than I could here. For powder, I was using a compressed load of AA2230. If you have paper patch questions, ask there and you will get lots of good advise. The 45-70 is one of the best calibers for patching, just because 45 caliber pistol bullets are already the right size to patch up and the pressures are low enough that most people have good results almost immediately.

-Nobade

pull the trigger
07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
I would recommend reading the stickies in the smokeless paper patching room before proceeding - they will explain this way better than I could here. For powder, I was using a compressed load of AA2230. If you have paper patch questions, ask there and you will get lots of good advise. The 45-70 is one of the best calibers for patching, just because 45 caliber pistol bullets are already the right size to patch up and the pressures are low enough that most people have good results almost immediately.

-Nobade
I will, again thanks a bunch for the idea!!