PDA

View Full Version : Go Ruger!!!

robpete
07-25-2013, 07:45 PM
A little while back, I picked up an early three screw, flat top, Blackhawk. I decided to send it back to Ruger shortly later for updating and refinishing. What do we think?? I'm very impressed(though I think I'll put the original grips back on). I want to add that my only cost was $15 for shipping it up there. That's what you call customer service!

crawfobj
07-25-2013, 07:49 PM
That the same gun!?!?

GP100man
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
This is why I support Ruger & buy there products!!

Ruger has our 6s.

robpete
07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
That the same gun!?!?

I said the same exact thing when I opened the box! Definitely a head scratcher. The best part is that I have less than $300 total in this beautiful thing.......

dvnv
07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Did they give you the old parts back? Or was it already converted?

robpete
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Did they give you the old parts back? Or was it already converted?

All of the old parts were sent back me. To my surprise, so was the grip set in the second photo. I took the original ones off to prevent potential shipping damage. I guess the nice Smiths at Ruger felt she was a little cold and naked :smile:

jhammer
07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
That is a very nice six shooter you have there. If you don't mind me asking what was the turn around time?

white eagle
07-25-2013, 08:35 PM
This is why I support Ruger & buy there products!!

Ruger has our 6s.
I'm with you 100 %

Bzcraig
07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Amazing......I just became a Ruger customer, customer service like that is unheard of but I have to admit I hear more good stories of excellent customer service coming from many of the 'main stream' gun manufacturers. I'm not sure exactly how to interpret that, but do know in any case it is good for us.

robpete
07-25-2013, 08:43 PM
If you don't mind me asking what was the turn around time?

Believe it or not, it was a little less than a month. I wasn't expecting to see until sometime in the fall. This was just overall an amazing experience. Makes me feel better about having so many Rugers!

Outpost75
07-25-2013, 08:47 PM
That has been my experience with Ruger Customer Service as well.

You would not have the same happy feeling dealing with HK!

jhammer
07-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear it. They are a great company that makes great products. I am looking for my third Ruger revolver now. Love those flat tops

dougader
07-26-2013, 12:19 AM
So, you sent in a 4-digit flat top, 2nd year production made in 1956, to have the gun "converted" and the original finish glossed over?

To each his own, but I imagine the value of the gun has tanked.

It's great that you only have $300 in this gun (that's an incredibly low amount), but I can't stop gritting my teeth.

You have an awesome revolver. Shoot it and enjoy the heck out of it! I'd give you $500 for it as is.

robpete
07-26-2013, 07:19 AM
So, you sent in a 4-digit flat top, 2nd year production made in 1956, to have the gun "converted" and the original finish glossed over?

Yep!!

Tatume
07-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Yep!!

I'm with you Rob. The value of the gun to you is much greater, I'm sure. I'm not a collector, and I'd like to have a revolver just like yours.

Take care, Tom

Silver Jack Hammer
07-26-2013, 10:43 AM
To each their own and I do not want to rain on your parade...but... The way a Ruger gets my heart pumping is to have that purple hue in the frame of a three screw. You can make or fake that, it comes from an old metallurgy and a finishing process that is no longer used and then the gun must age by use, not just sit in a safe. I wished you hadn't have done that. Keep the gun the rest of your life and shoot and you can say what you did to your Ruger is nobody else's business.

gofastman
07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Dang, I'm impressed!

Their customer service is almost as good as Kel Tec! (but Rugers guns are better;-) )

starmac
07-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a stupid question. When you send one back to the factory (any brand) does it have to come back to you through your FFL??

9.3X62AL
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
I have a stupid question. When you send one back to the factory (any brand) does it have to come back to you through your FFL??

No such thing as a stupid question, sir. So far, the answer is no--but the week isn't over yet. :)

Ruger customer service.......sent my Redhawk on 12/21/12 to have an issue corrected, I received it on 01-08-13 at no charge--Ruger even fronted the FedEx freight inbound. SUPERB.

robpete
07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
it comes back to the customer.

dilly
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
A year or two ago I picked up an old used security six. It was a beautiful old gun and in excellent condition, but with about 30 rounds of FACTORY ammunition the barrel blew right off it! Funny thing, it happened in front of where the barrel meets the frame, not what I would have expected and I'm still a little mystified about why it happened.

The point I'm trying to make is that I told ruger about it, sent the handgun in, and they sent me a brand new SP101 4 inch as a replacement. Here I bought this 30 year old gun off gunbroker and blowed it up and they sent me a new one for free. They did treat me very well. Probably would have sent me a GP-100 but at the time I thought I'd want a smaller one. In retrospect it turns out I wanted both. :)

Outpost75
07-26-2013, 08:31 PM
In the mid-1980s they had a guy at Newport NH working nights who used a cheater bar to turn barrels into frames when they wouldn't quite line up using the standard barrel wrench. Instead of unscrewing the barrel and putting the frame aside to take another light pass across the face of the frame on the Blanchard grinder, he forced them on. The overtightening put a stress at the root of the thread, which was a class UN-3A force fit anyway. The guy was using a nonapproved for use on stainless improvisdd lube, high sulphur, high fat, chlorinated paraffin base. Textbook case of stress corrosion cracking.

They later changed to a looser thread spec which was easy to turn on without torqing or having any stress on the threads. An aircraft grade Loctite product was used as a thread sealant to keep the barrels tight, and to prevent any migration of cutting fluids, solvents or lubricants into the threads.

This is the way most barrels are assembled in the industry now

Lefty SRH
07-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Personally I'd never send a 3 screw Ruger back for conversion. That being said I have sent nearly ALL my Ruger New models back for one reason or another. NONE of them has stayed away from me more than 3 weeks! A .44spl Bisley BH was ent back for a bent front sight. Ruger called me and asked if it was ok if they replaced the barrel and re-blued the whole so everythign would match. I responded that I couldn't afford that, they answered back saying "we didn't ask for payment...."
I'll continue buying/supporting Ruger!

9.3X62AL
07-26-2013, 09:55 PM
I'll continue buying/supporting Ruger!

Oh, me too. There's good reasons the company was "backed up" one million units on order at the first of the year.

GP100man
07-26-2013, 10:22 PM
In my neck of the woods I see very few sp101s ,GP100s or SRHs in any models .

The last GS I went to a vendor had a new GP tagged at $725 & I traded for this 1

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_1269.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/102_1269.jpg.html)

I booted too much , but I`m happy & satisfied & the trigger has massaged very well into a buttery smooth & crisp 3# sa break.

It`s now ready for the reliability test to go into the SD/HD line up!

Go Ruger !!!

Opening a plant in NC to up production of Redhawks & Super Redhawks !!

GP

PS : I pulled down the ammo in the pic, & was wondering if the primers were mag or standard, the powder looked like 2400 but smelled funny ,don`t worry it`s gonna make some really red roses with mamma`s rose bushes !!

RobS
07-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Nice.........very nice!!!

contender1
07-27-2013, 07:43 AM
To those of us who collect OM Rugers, especially the rarer ones, it's hard to see a rare version "modified" from it's original condition. I have a "Ross" variation that has more wear than the "before" picture above & I've turned down $1200 for it. My lowest numbered OM Flattop 357 is also a low 4 digit, and I felt like I got a nice deal at $700 when I bought it.
So, to see one modified, to a collector, we will not spend as much $$$ to own one like it.
But the current owner is the happy one, and if he were to sell it, he could make a little money. If it had been left alone, and he had to sell it, he could have made MORE money. But, it's his to do as he wishes.
Personally, my nice OM's like that just went up in value a bit. As more of them are modified, the value of un-molested guns just rises. So in that respect, I smile when I see these types of posts. My collection just gets more valuable!

Tatume
07-27-2013, 08:16 AM
At the same time, shooters benefit. Collectors drive up the prices of good shootable guns, often out of reach of people who want to own and shoot them. When the guns are refurbished at the factory as this one was, if it is eventually sold it will more likely be purchased by someone who wants to shoot it. The shooter will get a better gun at a more affordable price.

I would like to own a six-inch Colt Python. I probably never will because so many are residing in the gun safes of collectors, and the prices have gone to $2500 and more as a result.

In short, I agree with you. If you wish to collect original guns, it's your money, your guns, and your privilege. As long as you're happy, it's none of my business. If someone wishes to restore a good gun and shoot it to his heart's desire, again,....

Take care, Tom

Salmoneye
07-27-2013, 08:29 AM

To each his own, but I imagine the value of the gun has tanked.

It's great that you only have $300 in this gun (that's an incredibly low amount), but I can't stop gritting my teeth.

You have an awesome revolver. Shoot it and enjoy the heck out of it! I'd give you $500 for it as is.

IMNSHO, there was not much 'collector' value in it with a turn line like that...