PDA

View Full Version : Heavy full bore slugs in 18" cyl barrel information?

AnthroHunter
07-25-2013, 06:04 PM
New here and lots to digest and read over - and been having fun looking it all over I might add.

So far I got the impression the 700 grain and larger cast slugs are being used in rifled barrels. I was wondering if I could load up something like an Accurate Mold #73-900S and use it safely in an 870 with 18" cyl. barrel(3" chamber)? I am not so much looking for superb accuracy or hot loads as much I just want to throw large chunks of lead down range with out having the gun blow up in my face.

Thanks for advice in advance.

AnthroHunter
07-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Is there any large foster style slug molds out there? Would it be possible to drill out the base of a heavy solid slug and get something that wouldn't tumble?

Although I keep coming across posts here that have round ball preforming quite well out of smooth bores.

I guess what I really getting at is what is the biggest projectile that I shoot out of a smooth bore with somewhat decent accuracy?

littlejack
07-26-2013, 01:39 AM
AnthroHunter:
Welcome to he CastBoolits sir.
If you are set on using a slug, the Lyman 525 grain Sabot Slug would be the best for accuracy from a smooth bore IMHO.
You can just drop it in the proper wad, seat it on top of the powder charge in your hull, crimp and you are finished.
This is the slug that looks like a great big pellet. They are weight forward with a hollow base. That would be the first one I would
try. Heck, I will even send you a few to try if you are interested?
Regards
Jack

littlejack
07-26-2013, 01:50 AM
As stated by excess650, the big slugs will tumble if not spun. I was out trying my new loads on Monday. The slug is the .69 caliber musket conical. I am shooting an 870 with a Hastings rifle barrel. The slugs, I had to size down from .688 to .677 to fit into the shot wads. These slugs weigh out at 754 +/- .6 grains respectively. My brother and I tested the first batch, (10) just to check for pressure signs. All was ok, now I can raise the powder charge up a little, and fire for accuracy at the range. Probably be next
week.

Regards
Jack

Greg5278
07-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I have the Rapine 735600 mold. It casts at 615gr with my alloy, as it is a Rapine screwup. They recut the mold using another precut set of blocks. It has the same profile, but an additional band on the conical nose that shouldn't be there. The band also isn't concentric with the rest. It will shoot just fine in a smoothbore, as long as you create a proper wad Column.
Greg