PDA

View Full Version : Which 686?

mattd
07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
I’ve always wanted a SW 686, and have been keeping my eye out lately. I’d like to use it to hunt deer at some point and I’ve always thought a 6” barrel would be the way to go. But the 4” is starting to grow on me. I already have a SBH w a 7.5” barrel that I hunt with and it is kinda difficult to carry/maneuver/draw when holstered. So I guess the 6” would maybe have a little better accuracy and higher velocity, and the 4” would be easier to carry holstered around the farm, not necessarily concealed. Which would you get?

SteveUSP
07-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I have a SW 586 4", that is easy to open carry, too big IMHO to conceal. If I were to hunt with it, I'd get the longer barrel. So obviously you need both ;)

NSB
07-25-2013, 12:04 PM
I have a 6"bbl 686+ which has accounted for around twenty or so whitetails. I much prefer it over the shorter bbl. I've been handgun hunting for around forty years and don't really understand how one or two inches of barrel causes any problems drawing, aiming, or shooting. With iron sights it's easier to shoot a longer bbl accurately at longer ranges. With a dot or scope it makes no difference at all. Also, for carrying the shorter bbl makes no difference either. It's not the bbl that's difficult to conceal, it's the bulk of the frame and grip. I'd suggest you just get which ever you like the best. You'll be happier in the long run no matter what anyone tells you.

27judge
07-25-2013, 01:00 PM
I like the 4 ive had one for many years with a 2 power leupold I just passed it on to my son. It is a very accurate 4 inch handgun and easy to carry tks ken

Clay M
07-25-2013, 02:28 PM
I have the 6" 686. It is very accurate. I wouldn't say a 4" is less accurate, just maybe a bit harder to shoot accurately. If you are wanting to carry the gun in a belt holster, I would go with the 4".If you want it for hunting, I would go with the 6"

km101
07-25-2013, 03:27 PM
I have the 686 in both 4" and 6", and I love them both. If you are carrying in a hip holster, the 4" will be more comfortable when sitting in a vehicle or equipment. The 6" is uncomfortable sitting for very long, even with a high ride holster. And the extra 2" will make a difference drawing from a hip holster. Having said that, the 6" will be more accurate when shooting with iron sights because of the longer sight radius. Using optical sights, I don't think you would be able to tell much difference.

Unless you are going to be sitting a lot while carrying the gun, I would recommend the 6" as being a bit more versatile with iron sights. But in the end you should get what is most comfortable and practical for you. You are the one that will be carrying and hunting with it, so you don't have to please anyone else with your choice.

375supermag
07-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi...

I have a S&W 686 Silhouette Model with the 8-3/8" barrel in stainless steel.
They are stunningly accurate handguns.
Mine is used to shoot both jacketed and cast bullets...it particularly likes Hornady HP/XTPs in 125,158 and 180 gr weights.
The adjustable front sight is a worthwhile addition...the 4 settings are repeatable and are a great help.

They don't make them anymore, so you will have to search for one, but it is well worth the time and money invested.

9.3X62AL
07-25-2013, 07:32 PM
I have a 4" 686 that is among my most-carried handguns. It is THE sideiron for back-country excursions in my view. I can hit well with it, to 50 yards and beyond on rats and jackrabbits. For deer, 50 yards would be a hard limit owing to cartridge power more than anything else. I would prefer to be closer, actually. I came VERY close to downing a muley forker in 2007 when he stopped and turned after I flushed him while driving. I was able to stop--get out--fill the cylinder from an HKS loader.......and as I brought the sights to bear he leaped into some chamise and was out of view. Range was about 30 yards. Close call for him!

GP100man
07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I know the feelin !!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0333.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/102_0333.jpg.html)

But really loosin only 25-30 fps with the 4" ain`t no big deal, but I like how the front site is closer & fills all of the rear .

On the 6" I have just enuff daylight on each side to distract my eye .

GL49
07-26-2013, 02:17 AM
I've got a 4" 686, I'd pick it over my 6" revolvers if I had to choose to keep only one. Same with my model 29 44's, if I had to pick just one, it would be my 4" barreled Mountain Gun. They're easier to pack, and they just feel better and balance better in my hands. Like GP100man said, you give up a little velocity, but it "ain't no big deal".

Lloyd Smale
07-26-2013, 06:49 AM
hard to beat a 4 inch smith for a holster gun. Unlike others i have used them for ccw carry too. It takes a bit of selection for clothes over it but it can be done.

shorty500M
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
was a hard choice for me. had a few Kframes over the years and still have one that got cheap because of cracked forcing cone, that i repaired. couple of Nframes in 4 and 8&3/8 rounded it out. last year found a distributer run 686, 7shot, 7inch full lug barrel, and grips i liked. am well pleased and hope to hunt it this season

mattd
07-26-2013, 09:59 AM
this is what i was looking for, thanks guys. the furthest out i've ever killed a deer was 35 yards, rifle or bow, so long range accuracy isnt a big deal. probably be carrying it around more then shooting it = 4". and probably will be drawing it a lot less then shooting = 6". maybe i need to stand in the LGS with one of each in each hand.

Petrol & Powder
07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I can't address much on the hunting side of the question but I can talk about the barrel length part. As others have said, the 4" is easier to carry and they shoot just as well as the 6". What you're giving up more than 2" of barrel is 2" of sight radius. At ethical handgun hunting ranges that's just not going to matter when "minute of deer" is what is needed. In terms of bullet energy, I seriously doubt you're giving up anything significant, if anything at all.
I prefer 3" barreled revolvers ;-), so the 4" would be my choice! I had a 4" 681 (fixed sight version of a 686) that shot like a rifle! Two more inches of heavy steel wouldn't have made that gun better. For all around use, a four inch tube is probably your best bet.
I remember a barrel length test from some article years ago that addressed the accuracy vs. barrel length question. They took a long barreled revolver, shot it from a fixture, measured the groups and velocity, then they cut 1" off the barrel and repeated the process in 1' increments. The groups remained roughly consistent and the velocity dropped off slightly with each reduction in barrel length, but not by much until they got down to about 2" IIRC.
What you're really losing is sight radius and some "muzzle forward" weight.

07-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Some States require a 6" or better barrel length to hunt with. Check your local requirements. I like the 4"er's for what it's worth, but then I like anchovies, too. Some do - some don't.

9.3X62AL
07-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I am greatly fond of the S&W 586/686 revolver series. I've owned several, both 4" and 6" barrel lengths. These are my favorite revolvers, chambered in my favorite revolver cartridge, and I've felt this way about them since they first came out c. 1981. Since then, I have always had at least one in the safe--perhaps more often on my person. That's not to say that other revolvers aren't hellacious-good, too--the Colt Python is a Cadillac, and their old Mk III Troopers were every bit as strong as the Smith L-frame, if not quite as highly refined. And the old Ruger Security Six and newer GP-100 are superb handguns as well. American gunmakers "get" the 357 Magnum, and generally build them right.

Belt/hip holsters while seated in a car or truck are a PITA regardless of barrel length. I use plain-jane Hunter strong-side holsters for both 4" and 6" barrels, and drawing from a seated position with them or just about any of my Sam Browne duty rigs was a gymnastics effort--the grip buries itself in the juncture of the vertical and horizontal seat cushions.

This isn't a problem for hunting venues--in CA, you had better not be rolling around in a game area with a loaded firearm in your vehicle, and you sure as hell better not fire at critters from a ride, either. I step out, load up, and might still have a shot from time to time when I surprise game or varmints.

Defensive venues are another matter. If you carry in harm's way in a vehicle, that belt holster carry can get your a-- killed. I had a back-up gun in a shoulder rig under a car coat when in uniform, or when on a plainclothes gig I had a primary iron on board in that fashion. MUCH easier and less obvious to shinny that critter out when needed, esp. when in a hurry. Good shoulder rigs aren't cheap, but are worth every dime spent in this dangerous world we live in.

To conclude this mess.......no handgun design ever crafted does more things well than a well-made double-action 357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel. The things just plain WORK. My 686 x 4" would be the absolute LAST handgun I would ever part with, period.

Silver Jack Hammer
07-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you need to buy two 686's and a new holster for you SBH. What kind of holster do you have for your SBH now? Sometimes the 7 1/2" is best carried in a cross draw, the belt is very important to distribute the weight of the gun evenly about your waist. Fancy floral tooling also reinforces the saying life is too short to kiss an ugly girl or shoot an ugly gun.

Changeling
07-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Want a solution? Get the 4 inch like you want, have it tapped for a base that will accept a "Good dot scope".
When you don't want the dot scope on, remove it and put in some revolver matching screws for looks. Problem solved.

GP100man
07-27-2013, 12:09 AM
725 brought up a good point , the legalitys of handgun hunting .

Some states have a power factor limit & some go by barrel length/caliber.

Here in NC the last I knew of for big game hunting it had to be larger than 24 caliber & center fire , yeah rite ! Bear hunting with a Jennings 25cap. ????

Small game 22caliber & barrel no shorter than 5 1/2" , I assume for the Rugers 5 1/2" Single Six ???

Seems to me these were put in place by someone other than sensible, yeah that was a nice word for it .

Petrol & Powder
07-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Oh- and by the way, I almost forgot to put in my shameless plug for the GP-100.
The 686/681 series revolvers are good guns but don't overlook those Rugers. They shoot as well as S&W L frames (maybe better ;-) Often cost a bit less, have good sights, use the same speed-loaders and are tougher than anvils.

OK, there, I feel better now.