PDA

View Full Version : back from the range with my ruger frontier in 358 w

canuck4570
10-09-2007, 09:12 AM
whent to the range with my frontier ruger rifle in 358.....
result with five different load
40 gr of IMR 4064..... 39 gr of Varget....40 gr of IMR 4895...35 gr of H 4198 and 14 gr of Universal
well good news ... was surprise not to get any leading at all with all 5 loads
bullet used was Saeco 250 gr. with alox (ww air cooled)
bad news is that the best group was 4 inches... but at the end it was always improoving (ran out of bullet)
had a few jam with the blunt nose of this bullet hanging on the rim of the chamber
question for you..... would it be good to round up this part of the chamber like the winchester model 70 cone breach....
next summer will have the chrono and all the bell and wisthel at the range because now all the hunter are there adjusting there gun and you canot do serious work....

waksupi
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Canuck, the last .358 Win I built, I did do some relief work on the chamber mouth, ot enable it to feed the Bator heavy easily. You will have to unbreech the barrel to do it properly.

shooter93
10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Just a thought here..might be worth a try....I shoot a 35 krag....that would be a 358 rimmed...just a bit more capacity and a long neck. Anyway.....when I was shooting J bullets I only ever got what I call decent accuracy then one day I tried 3031 and the rifle came alive...it will shoot 1/2 inch five shot groups all day and a very little increase in 10 shot groups. Another interesting thing is...we built 2 identical rifles and it worked with both of them and when working a load for a friends 358 again 3031 had a distinct improvement. Did you ever get the mold canuck or do you need some more bullets?

canuck4570
10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Just a thought here..might be worth a try....I shoot a 35 krag....that would be a 358 rimmed...just a bit more capacity and a long neck. Anyway.....when I was shooting J bullets I only ever got what I call decent accuracy then one day I tried 3031 and the rifle came alive...it will shoot 1/2 inch five shot groups all day and a very little increase in 10 shot groups. Another interesting thing is...we built 2 identical rifles and it worked with both of them and when working a load for a friends 358 again 3031 had a distinct improvement. Did you ever get the mold canuck or do you need some more bullets?

yes I got both 351 and 352 and they cast very good bullets...
will try 3031 powder at the next range sessions....