PDA

View Full Version : To get the right weight bullet

bulet shotter
07-25-2013, 09:32 AM
The way I have been getting the right hardness on my lead is.buy weighing my bullets that I cast. Ok I have a 175gr die. I casy a bullet and weigh it. It is 184gr. I add some of my harder lead to the mixture.Till I get it real close,most of the time I will get 177 to 179 gr. Realy happy to get 177gr.once in a while. I weigh all my cast bullets and no matter how I mix them you never get a perfect weight.. I have worked and worked trying to get cast bullets that look as good as some of the ones that are pictured on this sight. Till one day I discovered how to do this. Any way I might not be the most accurate caster but I can hit what I am aming at. Lots of fun and a good hobby. Jerry

chboats
07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Many molds that say they cast 175 gr boolits do not drop 175 gr or you must use something like linotype to get the stated weight. It doesn't matter. If you are getting the desired hardness and they shoot the way you want them to, it doesn't matter. You may need to use good load development practices, start low and work up.

The RCBS 30-180 FP is supposed be a 180gr boolit but in the RCBS cast bullet book they list it at 187gr.

Carl

fredj338
07-25-2013, 03:19 PM
I think I have 1 mold that drops to the marked weight +/- 2gr. It's just never gonna happen unless you use the alloy the mold was designed around & that is often Lyman #2. IMO, doesn't matter if the bullet is 200, 201 or 205, as long as it shoots.

375RUGER
07-26-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm elated that my 6mm-100 RCBS mould drops heavy at 108g. 102g with hollow point option (107 checked and lubed).

mold maker
07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Does a few gr either way really matter as long as their consistent?
If they drop heavy start the load development at a little lower charge. If they drop light use the lowest and expect to add a bit more for the same fps.
Case capacity, and oal can make more difference, than a grain or two of lead either way.

casterofboolits
07-27-2013, 11:58 AM
When I had my casting business, I wanted the product I sold to vary no more than +- one grain. I would modify the molds by removing material from the top of the mold or by adding a bit more tin to the alloy. I matched quite a few pairs of Lyman molds that varied no more than one grain between the molds.