PDA

View Full Version : Need help with S&W model 629

pharmpoke
07-24-2013, 10:00 PM
I have a Model 629-6 with 3" barrel, fluted cylinder, magnaported, stainless, black hogue finger grooved grips, etched/lazered 1852-2002 on left side of barrel and Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum on right side of barrel, serial # CFE3XXX. The number 661 is engraved on the cylinder crane. I assume it was manufacured in 2002?? The sticker in the blue carrying case it came in just says "trail", not "trail boss". Is it a Trail Boss? How many of these were made? NIB value? Tell me about shooting cast with the magnaporting- is it a problem? thanks

dougader
07-27-2013, 12:54 AM
My 454 was ported and would spit lead with plain base bullets, but not with the gas checked slugs.

rintinglen
07-27-2013, 02:09 PM
According to The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, it seems as though you have a 3" Trail Boss, one of several special runs commissioned by RSR. I am not sure exactly which version you have. I assume it has the internal lock, and was made in 2002-2003. I am perplexed, in that it should have a Target Hammer, a smooth Target Trigger, White Outline Rear and Red-Insert Front Sights, "Altimont wood combat grips", and come in a locking aluminum case, not a blue box. It is a relatively rare gun, near as I can determine, with perhaps as few as 100 guns manufactured. However, if it is not completely original, with all accessories, I'd forget the collector aspect and just consider it a shooter, albeit a nifty one.

I am not a fan of ported barrels and cast bullets. Lead can shave off in the ports and is the devil's own job to remove. My own experience with a Taurus Tracker and a Marlin Guide gun tends to affirm the common wisdom in this regard.

MtGun44
07-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I have several ported .44 mags. Small amount of lead deposited over time alongside
the front sight, other than that, absolutely no issues.

Bill