PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Jam

richhodg66
07-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I know this has been beaten to death, but the problem usually is letting two in instead of one and that isn't the problem.

Rifle is an old .32 Winchester Special, 1948 vintage according to the serial number check. I loaded one round in the loading gate and opened the lever. It locked up in the fully rearward position and wouldn't budge any way. Couldn't get the round out or even get it to move much on the carrier.

I disassembled the rifle all the way down. Nothing seems worn or broken and everything seemed tight, in fact, I needed an impact driver to get some of the screws out even after soaking in Kroil for a while.

Everything in it looks good to go, no real wear, the rifle wasn't rusty or even very dirty.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Most of the threads on fixing Marlin jams center around stoning a radius on the cam on the lever and replacing the carrier. This does not appear to be the problem, although I have an old .35 that it probably is (that one will be next).

I think for starters, I'll just scrub everything squeaky clean and reassemble and see what that does.

RickinTN
07-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Sounds like the cartridge was too long. If I remember correctly the maximum COAL is 2.550" to function properly. It seems 35's are the worst offenders for the true "Marlin jam" but I've never worked with a 32 Special. I'm thinking it shouldn't be any different than a 30-30 because of the same case, or at least no difference that would effect the action cycling.
Good Luck, and I would be curious what you find.
Rick

richhodg66
07-24-2013, 10:07 PM
I may have to go check that, the bullet in question is pretty long, though Lyman listed it in their data for the .32 Special. I may just get hold of some factory ammo for it and try. I have the rifle disassembled now, so I'll scrub and polish things, but for the most part, the rifle appears in good shape.

If the ammo is the problem, guess I'll be buying another bullet mold.

popper
07-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Seat some dummy's short and see what works.

W.R.Buchanan
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Rich: the Marlin jam is caused by either a sharp edge on the cam or a worn area on the lifter (where the sharp edge rides.)

This action is pretty forgiving on OAL as long as you are on the short side. However by moving the cartridge stop on the lifter back some the gun can be made to feed longer rounds.

On an 1894 moving it back .125 will allow the gun to feed rounds as long as 1.710-.730 and maybe 1.750. depending on the gun.

it will also feed shorter rounds like .44 specials and even .44 Russians.

The 336 action works EXACTLY the same way.

one thing I found out with my guns is that opening the lever half way and then closing it will induce the jam as well. Best to use one continuous motion all the way open and then shut.

In any event you will gain valuable experience by taking the gun apart and putting it back together many times. This experience will help you diagnose any problems you have.

There is a wealth of Marlin information at www.leverguns.com under Marlin Resources. I would suggest downloading and printing out the action rework info and the "Fixing the Marlin Jam" articles and stowing them in a binder for convenient bench usage.

These are simple actions and once you have played with one for a few nights you'll understand perfectly how they operate.

Randy.

Blammer
07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I had that happen because I was using a pointy bullet and the cartridge go cocked sideways in the tube and as a result it "missed" the hold back part an jammed it up tight! Nothing was broken, just can't use pointy bullets in the mag, unless I get a better mag follower that had a 'divot" in it for the pointy tips to rest.

tawastom
07-26-2013, 09:37 PM
My 336 in 35 Rem, (1953 model) does that with FTX "j" bullets. just cant digest them without a jam, corelols and cast, loves those. My solution was cast 210 gr. with LVR powder..happy days.

smkummer
08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
My 70's vintage 1894 44 mag. has to have ammo at near the max. recommended OAL or it will try to double feed. It won't even feed a 44 special long round nose. So is it possible that it can be adjusted to feed shorter cartridges?

W.R.Buchanan
08-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I have never heard of a 70's 1894 in .44 magnum? Are you sure it is not a 336 in .44 magnum?

Does it have a round bolt? If that is the case then you are stuck with factory length .44 magnum style ammo.

As stated above go to www.Leverguns.com and download the instructions for "Modifying the Action for Cowboy Shooting, and fixing the Marlin Jam.

By putting about a .030 radius the tip of the cam that operates the lifter located on the lever you will most likely fix the problem.

Mine will feed Specials or Magnums or even Russians interchangeably.

Also the 39A will cycle .22 shorts, longs, or long Rifles interchangeably.

Randy

digger44
08-09-2013, 07:40 PM
I have never heard of a 70's 1894 in .44 magnum? Are you sure it is not a 336 in .44 magnum?

1894 44mag was reintroduced in 1969 up through 1983 when it became the 1894S
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/spokkandsequoia/hh_zps372cbe01.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/spokkandsequoia/media/hh_zps372cbe01.jpg.html)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/spokkandsequoia/jj_zps9f3e5149.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/spokkandsequoia/media/jj_zps9f3e5149.jpg.html)

LeftyDon
09-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah, they sure were making them in the '70's. Mine's a 1971 1894 in 44 mag that I bought new back then. It suffered from the Marlin jam after a few years and I found that it had a deep groove on the carrier. A bit of grinding and a piece of hard steel held on with JB weld cured it. Don't loose the ejector from one of these '60's - early '70's production guns, they are hard to find and the later ones won't work.

pietro
09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I know this has been beaten to death, but the problem usually is letting two in instead of one and that isn't the problem.

Rifle is an old .32 Winchester Special, 1948 vintage according to the serial number check. I loaded one round in the loading gate and opened the lever. It locked up in the fully rearward position and wouldn't budge any way. Couldn't get the round out or even get it to move much on the carrier.

I disassembled the rifle all the way down. Nothing seems worn or broken and everything seemed tight, in fact, I needed an impact driver to get some of the screws out even after soaking in Kroil for a while.

Everything in it looks good to go, no real wear, the rifle wasn't rusty or even very dirty.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Most of the threads on fixing Marlin jams center around stoning a radius on the cam on the lever and replacing the carrier. This does not appear to be the problem, although I have an old .35 that it probably is (that one will be next).

I think for starters, I'll just scrub everything squeaky clean and reassemble and see what that does.

FWIW, the "Marlin jam" doesn't apply to your Winchester problem - I agree that most likely the OAL's too long.

When Winchester 94's "jam" (release the next cartridge in the magazine out/under the lifter), the cause is a worn cartrige stop finger/protrusion that's located on the upper/inside tip of the Winchester 94's lower link - repairable either by replacing the link or elongating the stop via welding/filing or swadging/filing.

Char-Gar
09-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I am taking it your Rifle is a Marlin 36/336 in 32 W.S.. I am not an expert on these things, but I am thinking the dreaded "Marlin Jam" is an issue on the 1895s in pistol calibers and not the 36/336.

richhodg66
09-06-2013, 12:44 PM
FWIW, the "Marlin jam" doesn't apply to your Winchester problem - I agree that most likely the OAL's too long.

When Winchester 94's "jam" (release the next cartridge in the magazine out/under the lifter), the cause is a worn cartrige stop finger/protrusion that's located on the upper/inside tip of the Winchester 94's lower link - repairable either by replacing the link or elongating the stop via welding/filing or swadging/filing.

I thought the thread topic made it self explanatory, but yes, it is a Marlin 336 of 1948 manufacturer. I do know enough to be able to tell the difference between it and a model '94 Winchester as I own both.

pietro
09-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I thought the thread topic made it self explanatory, but yes, it is a Marlin 336 of 1948 manufacturer. I do know enough to be able to tell the difference between it and a model '94 Winchester as I own both.

I didn't mean to insinuate you couldn't (tell the difference).

Except for the title, your OP didn't mention that the rifle in question was a Marlin, and when you said ".32 Winchester Special" ILO just ".32 Special", I mistakenly presumed the rifle in question was a Winchester 94, thinking you were referring to the known Winchester 94 double-feed issue as "The Marlin Jam".

Sorry - my bad....

Dan Cash
09-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I may have to go check that, the bullet in question is pretty long, though Lyman listed it in their data for the .32 Special. I may just get hold of some factory ammo for it and try. I have the rifle disassembled now, so I'll scrub and polish things, but for the most part, the rifle appears in good shape.

If the ammo is the problem, guess I'll be buying another bullet mold.

Scrub. DON'T polish. Unless this rifle is new old stock, it is as polished as it needs to be. It is an odds on bet that since the ammo is hand load, ammo is too long.
Dan