PDA

View Full Version : Why you just can't stop casting.

BBQJOE
07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I recently heard that lead poisoning affects a part of the brain that triggers OCD. (Obsessive compulsive disorder)

Folks, we're screwed.

ShooterAZ
07-24-2013, 06:30 PM
As long as I have lead...I will keep casting. Problem is...I keep getting more lead. And no...I am not poisoned, but I might be OCD.

dragonrider
07-24-2013, 07:18 PM
I really don't know what it is about casting but after I have a enough boolits cast up for the shooting I intend to do I just keep going. I say to myself I will stop after this cast............but I don't, I just keep going and usually end up with at least twice what I need. It's almost Zen like, there is nothing else going through my mind, just the nest pour, pause, open, drop, close, pour, pause, open drop, close, etc, etc etc. It's so easy to get lost in it. And even then I need a reason to stop, like it's bedtime, or I have an appointment I can't miss. I don't keep a lot of boolits on hand because then I would have no reason to cast, so I just cast up what I need, or I try to at least.

Hawkeye45
07-24-2013, 07:31 PM
OCD --obsessive CASTING disorder.

Mr. Ed

375RUGER
07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm told I have OSD-obsessive shooting disorder. It's under control due to my IFD-insufficient funds disorder

williamwaco
07-24-2013, 09:19 PM
It is not obsessive!

I am not Obsessed!

I am not OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I am not OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I am not OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I am not OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

( Am I ? )

leeggen
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
We the casters are not obssed, we have brain disorder and its not lead poisoning. It comes from the gas and wood fumes!!! Atleast that is what my doctor says. Although he casts also.
CD

randyrat
07-24-2013, 10:08 PM
The last shortage of components fed my compulsion even more..77059
I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I am not OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

I AM NOT OBSESSED!

Bigslug
07-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Not sure I'm an obsessive CASTER yet, but I'm certainly becoming an obsessive SMELTER. Scrounging the lead, sorting out the hardness and useful applications, and segregating all the different sub-categories, warm in the knowledge that I can, on a whim, generate purpose-build projectiles tailored to any need. . .gives me a serious case of the warm fuzzies.

DrCaveman
07-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Sweet mercy randy. That there is a nice load. are there four stacks like the one shown? Whats that, a ton per mini-pallet?

I think with the right combination of beer and wood & lube fumes, one can temper the OCD side and relegate the casting to just another simple addiction.

Then again ive never started a 12 step for any of this stuff, so i am probably in denial

Ill go with the Zen take on things, and be happy

randyrat
07-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I hope there is more than 4 mini pallets77061
Just over a ton each...I didn't buy it. It was up for bid. One of those days when the cash flow was not on my side and my bid didn't impress anybody

popper
07-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Wife says I'm OCD, OSD & ISF. I tell her I could gain 75#, get a head scarf & a Harley. Problem solved.

Bzcraig
07-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Ok, I'm just sayin......
If we can prove we have a disorder, we can all apply for SS Disability. I funded it, I should get something back instead of just letting those who don't contribute take it. This also means that there should be billions available for research from the pharmaceutical companies, NIH, etc. more than enough for all of us on cast boolits to live out our lives casting and shooting for a living. Now if that plan fails, about 10 of us need to plan a heist at that place Randyrat hangs out.

Four-Sixty
07-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I'm happier coming home from the range with empty brass that I can reload, than I am with going to the range to shoot.

DeanWinchester
07-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I'm happier coming home from the range with empty brass that I can reload, than I am with going to the range to shoot.

You're not alone. I've finally come to grips and been honest with myself. I prefer casting and loading to shooting. I'd much rather be at home casting and reloading than out shooting. God have mercy if I ever get out of the 'burbs and into the country where I can shoot at home anytime I want.

Some people load to shoot. I shoot to load.

mdi
07-25-2013, 11:53 AM
I found myself dropping good cast bullets back into the pot 'cause I'm running out of storage space. If I haven't used a specific bullet in a while, I'll drop them back into the pot and cast some that I need right now...:cool:

ShooterAZ
07-25-2013, 06:39 PM
I found myself dropping good cast bullets back into the pot 'cause I'm running out of storage space. If I haven't used a specific bullet in a while, I'll drop them back into the pot and cast some that I need right now...:cool:

I thought I was the only one one that did that! My name is John, and I have Obsessive Casting Disorder. Yeah, I can quit anytime I want.

Donor8x56r
07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
I like casting.I have enough bullets made to last me couple of years but what the hell,I make more :)

(Come to think of it maybe i should sell some )

Cane_man
07-25-2013, 10:40 PM
casting is OK, but stay away from swaging as it is far more addictive!

Nickle
07-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Cane man is sooooo right. Get hooked on swaging, you'll soon realize you can swage lead bollits too. I do.

retread
07-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Don't mention swaging, I am broke enough feeding my casting habit.

35 shooter
07-26-2013, 01:17 AM
I feel sorry for all you guys with this casting problem. Personally i've got it down pat.
Casting boolits....casting my flyrod....casting arrows from my longbow.

Uh-oh my name is buddy and i MAY have a casting problem!!!

ku4hx
07-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I can stop any time I want to; done it hundreds of times.

casterofboolits
07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Perhaps I have a casting problem? Unless I have two thousand each of my favorite calibers loaded and two thousand boolits cast and ready to be loaded, I get a bit antsy!

10mmShooter
07-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Ha!! Casterof,

I was gonna say the same thing, I just loaded up 200 rounds of 98g .32 SWC this morning and l was looking my .32 cast bullet can and thinking on no!!!! I only have 800 left. I need to cast more.

Seriously my target inventory level is 1000 cast bullets on standby for any of my calibers that I shoot. Anything less and I get figgiditty. between .32/.357/10mm/.44 I like to have 5000-6000 cast bullets on hand at all times.

I worry that I may come home from work and think ****, I need to load 1000 rounds of .44 today...(even though I have 3000 rounds already loaded)

No I don't think I have a problem

Crash_Corrigan
07-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I have thousands of boolits cast for a .45 Colt which I traded off a few months ago. I cannot utilize these boolits. I cannot bear to part with them. I may sometime in the future buy another .45 Colt firearm for which these boolits are just perfect.

I am a sick dude.

Then again I traded off a .380 ACP Llama with the .45 Colt for a SKS which is now residing behind my front door with a 40 round magazine and ready to repel boarders etc. yet I still have a few hundred empty cases in .380 ACP that I cannot bear to part with.

I am a sick dude.

I live in a tin trailer with a cat and a dog. It is hot here in Las Vegas. Yet I persist in casting very hot boolits inside the trailer during June and July when it is too hot to go outside to shoot them off. The last time I went to the range I was removed by an ambulance to the local hospital with sun stroke and an internal body temperature of over 105 degrees. The hospital security staff was really upset when I arrived on a stretcher with a .41 Magnum strapped to my waist and another 12 boolits in carriers on my belt. Upon discharge I went back to range to retrieve my Honda. A few shooting buddies had cleaned up my shooting station and had packed all my firearms and ammo and range detritus into my car and covered them with a blanket. I owe them. Nothing was taken. I even ended up with more brass than I started out with. A great range day!

I am a sick dude.

Now I am home in the little tin trailer in which I live and trying to get along with COPD and a few other handicaps and I am still wanting to go the range to fire off some rounds in order to have more to cast for and to reload for.

I am a sick dude.

On most days I would rather cast and reload than eat. That does not speak well of my culinary skills. My dog, Sgt. Rambo eats anything I cook. The cat George is a mite more particular and generally prefers what came in a bag from Pets R' Us. That is one smart cat.

I am a sick dude.

In my will I have a provision for a firearms executor. He is charged disposing of my firearms and to maximize the funds generated for my spouse. His fee, named in the will, is an M-1, a vintage S&W Model 57 and a Winchester 50-90 Sharps rifle. He is my shooting buddy and I want him to have those guns cuz I know he will shoot and enjoy them and pass them on to deserving relative when he goes on that last journey.

I am a sick dude.

I presently own some 25+ firearms and a untold number of molds for boolits and other reloading stuff that are stuffed into a 55'x10' tin trailer. Also inside are a pile of smokeless propellant way in excess of what I should have and also a shelf or two of primers which amount to over 100,000 primers. If this thing should ever catch on fire then the flames would be visible from 40 miles away and burn me and my two critters well beyond identification.

I am a sick dude.

I began this quest in order to feed my two .38 caliber revolvers to save money. So far I have spent over $50,000 over the years in order to save money. I failed.

I am a sick dude.

Recently I got back into fishing. I obtained a fly rod and reel and all the flies etc, a kayak, fishing license etc., but it is too blasted hot to fish any where around here. I am going to have to wait until October to do some fishing. So in the meantime I will be casting some alloy into molds for boolits to shoot when I can get around to it.

I am a sick dude.

There is no cure.

Rooster
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Do we get good parking and a cool license plate too?

JeffinNZ
07-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Odd though it may sound I cast a lot more boolits than I shoot. Primarily because I won't cast with one mould so I run 2 or even 3 moulds at the time. As such, I have great stocks of some varieties.

koehlerrk
07-30-2013, 06:09 AM
I cast boolits... Since I started this journey four years ago, I have found something to be true.

Cast boolits are like potato chips... you just can't stop after the first one.

The process of smelting, turning otherwise useless scrap, into ingots of useful raw material, is therapeutic.
The process of casting, turning ingots of raw lead into exquisite, hand made boolits is therapeutic.
The process of loading, custom-fitting each of your delicate, hand made boolits into it's own cartridge, is therapeutic.

I cast boolits because it relaxes me. Using them proves that I did a good job in all phases of their construction, for which I can be proud of what I have accomplished. Human beings are thing makers and tool users.

I cast... therefore, I am.