PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Buttes North (The Wave) lottery- Has anybody hiked it?

Love Life
07-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I really want to hike to "The Wave." "The Wave" is a rock formation that looks like...well...waves. The only bummer is that it is an incredibly popular spot so you have to apply for permits through a lottery. The next 4 months are booked for hikes, but I'll keep an eye peeled and enter the lottery as soon as there are spots!!!

Has anybody here ever been to the place? Amy tips? Was it worth it?

ShooterAZ
07-24-2013, 03:35 PM
I have hiked to "The Wave". It is an awesome spot, and truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It is worth the wait if you can "win the lottery". They let only a very limited amount of permits for this place to keep the experience the best possible. In other words, you are not likely to see many, if any other people there. One word of caution though, it is crazy hot there in the summer. Fall would be the ideal time to go. It is primitive only...marked by landmarks only. A gps is a must, and bring plenty of water!

starmac
07-24-2013, 07:56 PM
I am a technological fuddy duddy, but I have to ask, why is a gps a must to go on a hike???

Wayne Smith
07-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Depends on how far into the wilderness one goes, especially without good landmarks. If you can follow the wave forms, OK, but that's unlikely. I would guess it's a lot like caving, it's not that far in but everything looks different, it is easy to get turned around, and being lost within a mile or two isn't fun!

This is sandstone that is hardened into rock in exactly the same form it's laid down by the waves. You can even see ripples in it. I've not been there but similar formations are seen close to Zion National Park.

dragonrider
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Is that not the place where two people recently died hiking to??? Sure is awesom looking.

Love Life
07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Correct Dragon rider, but I am not the kind of person who dies hiking. These hikes are relatively safe as long as you

A) Know where you are
B) Know where you are going
C) have a map and compass
D) Are in the right physical condition
E) Carry enough water to last longer than you expect to be out there

A daypack with minimal gear would get you there and back safely, and well hydrated.

popper
07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
I always wanted to do Havasu canyon when I was younger. You need a satphone and a good GPS. Need at least a party of 3. A map of that area will only give you start and target points. Compass won't lead you around obstacles very well.

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2013, 11:24 PM
We are so fortunate here in America to NEVER run out of beautiful natural wonders to see.

How about a location in Utah where petrified LOGS are sticking out of the walls of canyons every where you look.

Or Turner falls in Oklahoma.

Then there are the sandstone formations around St George Utah and I could fill page after page of the many locations I have visited YEARS AGO if my memory were still that good.

BUT you must be in good enough condition to go there.

Many will say yes I am only to find out NO YOU WERE NOT.

When you can say you did the south rim to the Phantom Ranch and back in a single day carrying a single U S Army canteen in October (yes it was over 90 degrees) and can drink the water available you ARE in good condition.

That was over 40 years ago. Would I try it today?

I would love to but age takes its tole to.

Love Life
07-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Were the petrified trees still alive and green when you 1st saw them Bad Water Bill?:bigsmyl2:

waksupi
07-24-2013, 11:40 PM
I heard he planted them!

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2013, 11:54 PM
I heard he planted them!

Yes sir I did.

Each and every one was carefully hand planted using a stick to push the seed into the soil.

My rhumatiz was acting up at that time.

jj850
07-25-2013, 12:25 AM
read this just before I loged on herehttp://news.yahoo.com/anniversary-hike-ends-tragedy-near-scenic-spot-080809948.html

popper
07-25-2013, 12:15 PM
BWB - I thought the rim to the river was pretty much a 2 day round trip.

Bad Water Bill
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
For most people it should be.

When we were coming back up 3 very tall young folks passed us (in formal wear) jogging down the trail laughing and singing.

A couple hours later here they came back up still jogging and singing in French. Well my wife was fluent in French so she found out they were from a town on top of a 12,000' peak in Haiti.

I am glad i made the trip (even with the aches and pains the next day) but NOW I would need at least a week each way. :bigsmyl2:

If anyone is thinking about the hike just make sure you have the best footwear you can buy. It will be money well spent.

ShooterAZ
07-25-2013, 05:58 PM
The Wave is not a difficult hike, only a few miles. We did it with a 7 year old boy, and 11 year old girl with no problems. The terrain is what gets some people confused and lost. There are no trail markers at all, only landmarks given by NPS. 3 people have perished there this month alone (July 2013) from getting lost. There are lots of side canyons and slot canyons everywhere. Everything is all twisted, bent, and contorted. The best analogy I can come up with is being in the house of mirrors at the carnival, where everything is all distorted and bent. With the gps you can way-point each leg of the trip, and not worry about getting mixed up. Of course map & compass are fine too. It is one of the coolest spots on the planet in my opinion. I hope you can get a draw and be able to make the trip. Very well worth it.

MtGun44
07-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Havasupai Falls is an easy, but dry 10 miles, darned near impossible to get lost
there. Follow the VERY obvious trails, and don't get run over by the pack
trains and riders.

No comparison with the Wave - but it is a really nice place to visit.

Bill

Love Life
07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Wow. Havasupai, Beaver, and Mooney falls all look stunning. There is just so much to see in this country!!! My wife asks me every now and then why I never want to travel to other countries, and I always reply "Why? We have enough to see here."

starmac
07-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Love life, my dad told me when I was a little kid, that I wouldn't live long enough to see all there is in this country, I have given it a good go, but believe he knew what he was talking about.

Love Life
07-26-2013, 02:18 PM
I believe your dad was 100% correct. maybe if I was a bo-zillionare with nary a care in the world I could see it all, but alas that is not the case.

I still get surpised by stuff when I do my long range hikes where I live.

waksupi
07-26-2013, 02:30 PM
I've lived in Montana most of my life, and have not see everything in the state. Heck, I haven't even seen all the nooks and crannies in the county I live in!