PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on best mold for 250 grain RNFP boolits suitable for CAS

07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Gentlemen,

Okay, I know these “which is the best” questions can be a pain, but I don’t know of any other way to approach this.

I’m new to casting. I’m a long time shooter and re-loader, but the casting game is a whole new game to me.

I want to cast slugs/bullets for CAS shooting. Specifically, I want to cast 250 grain RNFP slugs.

There seem to be a number of options out there for molds ranging from cheaper factory (bulk produced) molds such as Lee, to more expensive molds from custom makers.

I don’t mean this to sound as if money is no object, because it is, but I’d rather pay more for the mold to start with and have a good one than buy a cheaper one, not be satisfied, and end up buying another one anyway.

One I’m contemplating right now is made by Accurate Molds. I don’t know anything about them, but they seem to be a very reputable company. Other names I’ve heard are Mihec and NOE. Again, I know nothing about them, and I don’t even know if they make molds for the 250 grain RNFP slug.

I'm sure there are a number of makers offering good quality molds - I just don't know where to find them.

Can some of you more experienced casters offer advice on this? If you wanted to get the BEST mold you could lay hands on for that style of bullet – what would you get?

I’d prefer a 5 or 6 cavity if possible as I assume that would speed up production.

Thanks in advance for your help

'74 sharps
07-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Lyman's # 454190 is a copy of the original bullet for the 45 Colt. I only shoot real black powder in my Colt Single Action Army and it works great. I don't do any cowboy shooting, but have heard of some folks using a lighter bullet to help tame recoil and keep on target. The 250gr and a heavy powder charge is going to make the pistol jump.

Larry Gibson
07-24-2013, 11:43 PM
If you are serious about CAS shooting you will find the 250 gr bullet too heavy with too much recoil. Suggest the Lee 45-200-RF for your CAS shooting or even a 160 or 180 gr cast bullet. Less recoil and more bullets per lb of aloy.

Larry Gibson

GLL
07-25-2013, 12:19 AM
The NOE 45-210 BD is a great choice if you want something lighter !
It was available in PB or GC (with or without Hollow point).
The PB solid would be a good one for your use.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/54CCEF5FE79FF90/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/14E2B23ABE10D19/standard.jpg

07-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys. That's the kind of information I was wanting. So it sounds as if I'm better off (for CAS) with a lighter bullet. I'm going to talk to Tom at Accurate Molds and see what he recommends in the 180 to 200 grain range.

gray wolf
07-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Definetly a lighter bullet for the CAS Also if you are new to casting get a cheep Lee mold, even one that is not the bullet you want. Practice with it, get some of the first time caster mistakes out of the way. I can almost promise you if you start with a great looking brass mold you stand a good chance of trashing it.
You need to put some things between your ears before you put something in a mold.
It's not rocket science but there is a learning curve.
I just Re-read your post, a 5 or six cavity mold ??? Better think in terms of a two cavity to start. I have seen it done but IMHO you will be way over your head, and do you understand how heavy a six hole Brass mold is.
You can make 4 or 5 hundred good bullets with a two hole in a couple or a few hours.
You just don't melt metal and it magically jumps into a mold and make s boolets.
How about the rest of your equipment ? what have you got in mind ?
JMHO don't want to see you get discouraged.

07-25-2013, 01:48 PM
I appreciate the advice Grey Wolf, and I'll take it. Good plan to start with a smaller cheaper mold and get the feel of it. Re-loading is not an issue. Been doing that for more years than I care to mention. Casting however, is going to be a whole new game. So far I've acquired a new Star Magma sizer luber with air lube feed, heated base, and have a bullet feeder for it on order. Have not got a melting pot as yet and am trying to figure out what to get there. If anybody has a suggestion as to a good melting pot to buy I'd like to know. I certainly don't need the biggest and baddest, but would like something capable of "reasonable" production. I think I'd like to stay electric if possible.

Lead is no problem. I have more of that than I'll ever be able to use.

novalty
07-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Not sure if this will be of interest to you, but the Mihec RCBS Cramer HP mold (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?151445-MiHec-2-or-4-cavity-brass-45-RCBS-Cramer-HP/page10) Group Buy recently ended, and Miha indicated he still has plenty available. This might be a good bullet for your needs. Excellent timing as it can take awhile before a GB can be complete--so you won't have a long wait. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43647&stc=1&d=1334932262

fredj338
07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
The Lee 200gr RNFP is a perfect CAS bullet in 45colt. It should feed fine in most rifles too, does in my 1866.

07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
fredj338 - do you have a number for that Lee mold? I looked at their site but could not find a 200 grain. I may have been looking in the wrong place.

novalty
07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
fredj338 - do you have a number for that Lee mold? I looked at their site but could not find a 200 grain. I may have been looking in the wrong place.

I believe that Lee mold is #90697. MidwayUSA has 6 cavity ones in stock.

Slow Elk 45/70
07-27-2013, 02:41 AM
YA need to listen to the advice These folks are giving you. You can trash a Lee mold and you haven't lost much, you might be better off with a 2 cavity for starters, learning curve you know...much easier
to learn what this game is all about, before you start biting off custom molds, IMHO:guntootsmiley:

bigboredad
07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I would grab the Lee 2 cavity in 200 and 250 and see which works the best for you then grab a 6 cavity and crank out some bullets. That is how I would go about it. You will be surprised how fast you can crank out bullets with a 2 cavity

Changeling
07-27-2013, 05:07 PM
GLL, you need to make a calendar, once again the photography is awesome!

Greg G
07-27-2013, 05:44 PM
I would just get a good mold to start with. It was easier for me to learn on a good mold that worked like one should. The Lee's I have, while I use them and they do work, aren't as smooth in operation as better mold.

Accurate Molds would be my first choice. You can get one from the guys make them for group buys, but only if it is an over-run mold and was ready to ship. If you're in a position to cast a particular bullet now, not in a year or two, go with Accurate Molds.