PDA

View Full Version : AR15, help me remove the bolt.

boltons75
07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Ok, I have been slowly assembling an AR, I have the lower complete with a stripped upper, well today I got my BCG and just had to put it in place, but I don't have a charging handle yet. So now the BCG is stuck in my upper, and won't come out. Any tips or tricks on how to remove it? I tried just pushing it out, but it only has a little movement, maybe a quarter inch.

Larry Gibson
07-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Is there a barrel in the "stripped upper"?

Larry Gibson

nagantguy
07-24-2013, 12:52 PM
A very advanced technique I learned in the Corps, hold it vertically over a folder towel and smack the sh&#% out of the side of your upper until it falls out. I know its very hi speed but I'm also in Mi and I can talk you through it if need be. And don't feel alone every ar build I've done something strange has happened and when I ask advice everyone says "o that shouldn't happen."

xacex
07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
In that case I would use your lower without a buffer and spring. Attach it to your upper, and treat it like you would if you had a stuck cartridge or jam. Smack the butt on something hard like a log, and it will drop into your buffer tube. Without the spring and buffer you should have enough clearance to open your upper from the lower without the BCG in the way. Basicly, you are using inertial force to unlock the lock lugs on the bolt to the barrel extension, and pulling the BCG back.

Edit: Just saw you said it was in a stripped upper assuming you have no barrel in it put a piece of 5.56 brass in the bolt, and smack that lightly with a hammer.

boltons75
07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks, no barrel installed yet, since I haven't found the barrel I want yet.

MOcaster
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't feel bad. A few months after I first got my AR, I decided I needed to clean my trigger group. Well that didn't turn out well. Armalite doesn't have trigger assembly instructions in their manual and my Internet was going about 1 mile an hour then so I couldn't YouTube it. My military friend never messed with his trigger group(of all people!) so I finally go it fixed after a 30 minute or so call to my gunsmith. So I make you look completely sane and knowledgeable. And a free life tips: Always know people smarter than you but always hang out with people dumber than you to make you look smarter.

kevindtimm
07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Is the upper attached to the lower? If so, separate them first.

garym1a2
07-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Push a small rod thru the gas tube port

xacex
07-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Lots of ways to skin a cat. Did you get them separated?

DCM
07-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Pull hard on the lip on the lower rear of the BCG.
Unless it is one of those blasted colt BCGs with that cut off this is all you need to do for most of them.

grampa243
07-24-2013, 07:43 PM
don't ever put a bolt in your upper with out the firing pin :)

boltons75
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Lots of ways to skin a cat. Did you get them separated?

Not yet, posted the question just about an hour before heading on a weekend canning trip to Ohio. Will give it a try on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Larry Gibson
07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
With no barrel in the upper the BCG should slide back out easily unless you pushed on the bolt from the front and rotated it. Use a small tool and push the bolt forward while holding the bolt carrier. The bolt must be in the extended position to go into or out of the upper.

Larry Gibson

boltons75
07-28-2013, 06:54 PM
With no barrel in the upper the BCG should slide back out easily unless you pushed on the bolt from the front and rotated it. Use a small tool and push the bolt forward while holding the bolt carrier. The bolt must be in the extended position to go into or out of the upper.

Larry Gibson

Thank you, this was the problem. Slid the bolt forward and the carrier came right out. Learn something new every day.