PDA

View Full Version : 460 Rowland, another question

roysha
07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I recently spoke with Clark about putting a 460 conversion on a Para P-14, figuring that would be the ultimate "bear be good stick". They said it would not work because of feeding issues. I asked what they were and they said that the double stack magazine would not feed fast enough, or something to that effect, even with a high power magazine spring.

I just don't understand why that should be, because except for the power, the difference, physically between the Rowland and the std. ACP is really rather minimal.

Rather than listen to a batch of smoke I thought I would ask for a clearer explanation from someone here.

fishhawk
07-24-2013, 12:04 PM
The speed of the slide in the Rowland is greatly speeded up. Thats really the main reason for the compensator on it to slow the slide down. Would bet the slide is coming forward way before the double stack mag pushes up the next round to be picked up.

No_1
07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
They do a lot conversions and are the experts when it comes to Rowland conversions. I would call back and ask more questions.

Hunter
07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
The 460 Rowland is a very powerful cartridge. I would be concerned of how badly the slide would batter the receiver during the recoil in a conversion.
There are things you can do such as a reduced radius firing pin stop matched with a stronger mainspring housing, recoil spring, and such to minimize the battering but you also run into the lower barrel lugs batter the slide stop with an over sprung pistol.
If it were me I would seek out a dedicated pistol built to handle the pressure. If you are looking for an auto loader with capacity and trail stopping power look into something like the Glock 20.

Gun-adian
07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I've wondered about the .460 Para conversion, too. The only thing I could come up with is, even though the .460 cartridge OAL is the same as the .45 Auto, the case is still longer. Is it possible that the case mouth hangs up slightly on the radiused corners/sides of the double stack magazines, slowing down the follower??

roysha
07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
The only reason I would ever get a glock is that I desperately needed a club or something to throw and all the rocks and sticks were already used up. Other then that, the glock idea isn't too bad.

dougader
07-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Glock 21's are used for 460 Rowland. I know several who have done the conversion, but double extra power mag springs seem to make them run right even though you lose a round or two in mag capacity by going this route. The comp is essential in slowing down the slide velocity.