PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Decsion: Check Maker, a year after the fact

milprileb
07-24-2013, 08:38 AM
For those in the decision cycle of value added by a check making tool:

You can and probably have done the math of materials purchased, cost of tool
and compared number & cost of checks made vs cost of factory Lyman or Hornady checks.

Is the investment worth it? Not if you don't shoot much. Not if you don't like to
do things for yourself and you don't have time .

Like bullet molds, tools pay for themselves and if one has a longer view of life and use,
tools are a bargain.

In respect to the check maker, you gain not only checks, you eliminate supply issues as you control supply
and at some point in time , your production of checks will pay for tool investment and then you are in the green.

For me , I am a year into use of the tool to make checks and my tools are paid for a few months ago. The market today is bare of bullets for rifle shooting but casting solves that and gas checks allows me to shoot accurately out to 300 meters with accuracy and no leading. The investment of check maker can only continue to add to my independence to shoot all I want and not let market shortages of bullets or checks stop my shooting life.

Choice is a wonderful thing and so is control of factors so you do have a choice to shoot.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-28-2013, 02:49 AM
thanks for the heads-up. What brand and caliber...?

milprileb
08-06-2013, 07:32 AM
thanks for the heads-up. What brand and caliber...?

I will email you that answer. I purposely wrote my comments generic to avoid the tribal food fight of This vs That maker feud of check makers entering this thread.

The focus is making your own checks is a good investment and I certainly do not regret
the investment to do so.

nhrifle
08-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I agree 100%. I have had my check maker for a few months now, and while the dollar value of the check I have made with it are not even close to balancing the purchase price, the fact that I will never again be dependent on factory supply for me is priceless.

milprileb
08-07-2013, 07:26 AM
I agree 100%. I have had my check maker for a few months now, and while the dollar value of the check I have made with it are not even close to balancing the purchase price, the fact that I will never again be dependent on factory supply for me is priceless.

That will change over time but the first time you hit Midway or Grafs (I prefer Grafs) and gas checks are "Out of Stock" and you are dead lined waiting on a production run to fill you needs ... the value of your own check maker and tons of checks strikes home runs .

Make my own checks, my own cast bullets and my own ammo: This independence is priceless !!!

Shooting less is not an option ! Shooting for less money (my cast bullets and my gas checks ) and shooting all I want, anytime I want and highest accuracy ammo to my needs: Home Run !

Dannmann801
08-07-2013, 10:17 AM

To me that's the most important reason of all to engage in reloading and casting.
I'm currently in the infancy stage as a caster/reloader, but I can't describe the feeling of satisfaction/relief when I finally got all the equipment up and running in the calibers I want/need. Now that I'm casting/reloading my own and have adequate stock of powder and primers, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Needs are done; now it's on to the "wants". $$$$$$$$
Oh well :-P