PDA

View Full Version : Why is Lee Cast Boolit Load Data non-existant?

MaryB
07-24-2013, 03:24 AM
I haven't found a reloading manual yet that has data for the Lee cast boolits. Sure the Lyman designs are close but there are differences. Hardest to find is OAL it seems.

dragon813gt
07-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Because Lee does not perform any testing to develop load data. They just reprint data from others. I would not expect other companies to spend the time and money doing it for Lee.

That being said, the data in Lee's manual is still what I use the most. Largest selection of powders but there is some experimenting with OAL. Which for the most part isn't hard to figure out.

sthwestvictoria
07-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Isn't it insensible!
You can piece the data together from other sources - the Lyman cast or reloading books, the single action data from ADI or Hodgdon. You can also use the Richard Lee 1grain reduction method with their cast data.

Lead Fred
07-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Get an OAL gauge, use the boolit you want to get the OAL for.
Insert the dummy case and boolit, push it forward until it hits the lands.
tighten the lock on the gauge, pull it and the case out, sometimes the boolit gets stuck.
A 1/4 inch wooden dowel down the muzzle will free it.

Put the boolit back in the case. Measure the OAL. Deduct .020
Thats the custom OAL for that boolit, in that rifle.

We dont rely on SAMMI specs, we get our own

http://www.hornady.com/store/OAL-Gauges/

jlchucker
07-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Why not go to the bottom of the page of this website and click on the white box that says "castpics". That will bring you to a lot of information and a place where you can search a huge amount of load data for all sorts of boolits using all kinds of powder.

Smoke4320
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I just make up a slightly loose fitting boolit in a sized case . close the action, open action, measure and subtract .010 ..some as mentioned subtract ..020.. That's almost always my best functioning OAL.
Next make sure it will feed thru a mag and adjust if needed
Minor OAL adjustments either way to confirm best accuracy

RobsTV
07-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Why not go to the bottom of the page of this website and click on the white box that says "castpics". That will bring you to a lot of information and a place where you can search a huge amount of load data for all sorts of boolits using all kinds of powder.

Not seeing a white box (or anything) that says castpics on this page or main page.

EDIT: WOW, amazing what you see here when you turn off ad muncher! Very busy webpage.

Is there a setting for that castpics load data to go to 10ths of grain? Seeing a load from 3 to 4 grains, with no .x, isn't getting it.

07-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition, has some Lee moulds listed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I set the OAL to the individual gun.
for rifles: as LeadFred presribed.
Pistols: remove barrel and drop loaded round into chamber...or insert into cylinder for revolvers.

popper
07-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Because Lee is not a commercial bullet maker, nor are Lee moulds used by commercial makers. My cast will be different from yours. All load data is experimental. Powder companies publish it as a suggestion and an aid to sell powder. In this case it does take a village.

HangFireW8
07-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Lee published a procedure for turning jacketed load data into cast in his reloading book. I don't use it.

MtGun44
07-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Because it isn't necessary. Just use any other similar weight boolit data, or even
similar weight Jbullet data.

Bill

fredj338
07-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Loading manuals are guides, that is it. There is no manual that has data on every bullet & powder combo. So you have to learn to extrapolate, start low & work up. A chronograph makes this a lot easier to do. OAL? It is ALWAYS GUN & BULLET specific, regardless of data, always. It must fit your gun.

HangFireW8
07-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Because it isn't necessary. Just use any other similar weight boolit data, or even

Bill

Yup!

HF

MaryB
07-25-2013, 02:09 AM
I load 9mm for 3 different guns so I need to settle on one OAL for the three. Friends may grab the wrong box and I don't need problems.

robpete
07-25-2013, 06:06 AM
I load 9mm for 3 different guns so I need to settle on one OAL for the three. Friends may grab the wrong box and I don't need problems.

Measure all three and go with the shortest!

ku4hx
07-25-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: "I load 9mm for 3 different guns so I need to settle on one OAL for the three. Friends may grab the wrong box and I don't need problems."

I load for seven, and I base all my cartridge OALs firstly on boolit profile. A 124 grain RN will generally have a longer OAL than the same weight boolit in TC. Other than that, you need the boolit to not impinge on the rifling and you need the neck size such that no binding happens there either. Whatever works in an individual gun of yours consistently and reliably is the proper OAL for that gun. It may, or may not, fit other chambers since all chambers are not the same for a given caliber regardless of published and accepted specs.

I'd like to have a "one size fits all" too, but the nature of customized ammunition is that it's customized. And it's customized for our guns only. I can't satisfy all other shooters and, frankly, I don't try too. If my friends were to "grab the wrong box" that's not a failure in loading, that's a failure in communication.

btroj
07-25-2013, 07:54 AM

Bill

Yep. Shooting cast isn't cookbook stuff. Sometimes ya gotta do some experimenting and learn on your own.

waksupi
07-25-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't expect a load to shoot well in all guns. I have two different loads for my 1911, and my Combat Commander. Also two different loads for my .44 mag. Winchester and M29 S&W. The loads CAN be shot in the other firearm, but not to their best potential. We are handloaders, so take advantage of what we are capable of, rather than just "getting by".

Shiloh
07-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Yep. Shooting cast isn't cookbook stuff. Sometimes ya gotta do some experimenting and learn on your own.

I have emailed both Alliant and Accurate to get starting data.

Shiloh

MGySgt
07-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Bill

You do need to be careful here to match boolit profiles. Example the RCBS 45-230-cm and the Lee 45-230-TC are the same weight - however a max load for the RCBS is too much for the Lee. Different profiles means different seating depth.

While we can interpolate from one design to another we need to think about what we are doing and ensure our starting loads are safe - I.E. how much space is left in the case when we seat the boolit!

Note on jacketed - due to the better seal of Cast better drop the starting load a little if you are comparing a 230 RN to a 230 RN

Drew

390ish
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Richard would have thought it a waste of money when there already was usable data.

Mohillbilly
07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I purchased Richard Lee book and learned how to use his loads and calculate for cast .

MaryB
07-26-2013, 12:07 AM
AT the range it would be way to easy for someone to grab the wrong box even if told otherwise, I am not expecting perfect loads to fit all 3, it will be a compromise load for a day of plinking at whatever. Not going for max accuracy, just fun shooting.

dragon813gt
07-26-2013, 06:35 AM
AT the range it would be way to easy for someone to grab the wrong box even if told otherwise,

That's why you don't let anyone touch your stuff. These aren't factory rounds. Make them to suit a dish them out to others. Otherwise there is to much risk. I personally don't let others shoot my reloads so this solves any of the potential problems.

MtGun44
07-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Agreed, Gunny! I was thinking of getting the starting loads that seems to get everyone
so wrapped around the axle.

Bill

MaryB
07-27-2013, 01:40 AM
I have been shooting hand loads with these guys since 1980, I trust them and they trust me to do it right. I did a lot of reloading back then and just getting back into it.

MGySgt
07-27-2013, 02:59 PM
MaryB - you can produce excellent general purpose loads that will work in 95% of all guns of that caliber. That is the way I load - I am not looking for max loads that can kill a buffalo with a 380 ACP.

Normally I load 44 mags in high mid range (260 grain at 1,150 - 1,200 FPS). Easy to develop, easy to load, easy on the gun and easy on the shooter - yet they will still kill game cleanly. Note: Backup in big bear country takes a special loading for all you can get out of it)

I load 1 load for 3 44 mags, one load for 2 45 Colt's, one load for 6 different 38 specials, one load for 5 45 ACP's (my 625 does have a roll crimp added, but it is the same boolit/powder/primer/case). They all group better than I can hold and there is no issues with any of them.

Char-Gar
07-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Cast bullet data for the same caliber and similar weight bullets can be interchanged. UNLESS you are pushing the red line with top end loads, but it takes a special kind of stupid person to do that anyway. Those folks should not be allowed around a loading press anyway.

Therefore it makes no difference if their is no load data specific to Lee bullets, for data for similar bullets by RCBS, Lyman or whoever can be used with no risk.

MaryB
07-27-2013, 11:44 PM
I don't need top end loads for paper punching or can shooting. For critical use I weigh everything and tailor it to my pistol. Worst wildlife I encounter are the overly brave coyotes that use my backyard as a highway on the way into town for cat snacks. They have finally learned to stay clear of me, especially if I draw a gun, they scatter fast.

Char-Gar
07-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I haven't found a reloading manual yet that has data for the Lee cast boolits. Sure the Lyman designs are close but there are differences. Hardest to find is OAL it seems.

OAL is determined by your firearm. I have been at this for well over 50 years, and have yet to look at the OAL numbers in a loading manual. Be it revolver, autopistol or rifle, I set the OAL for best function and/or accuracy in the individual firearm.

btroj
07-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Yep, OAL is ignored by me too. If I crimp then it goes in a crimp groove unless the firearm dictates otherwise.
I use a manual as a guideline. Experience is my guide.

MaryB
07-29-2013, 01:50 AM
I have 5 years experience from the early 80's, getting back into it to save me money on target rounds. So I am not an expert, sure basics are basics but back then I reloaded mainly commercial cast that came with the parameters.

dverna
07-29-2013, 11:25 PM
It is not rocket surgery. Plinking loads are really very forgiving. Heck, most factory ammo works in most pistols. Use that as a guide. Some people make this more complicated than it needs to be.

AABEN
07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
One of the big reasons is not all lead is the same and not the same hardness!