PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Forum Sent Me....

steveo
07-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi All,

I've been reloading for about 20 years and now planning to get into casting my own Boolits,,, ya I know I spent way too much $ on projectiles.

I came here looking for information as well as any used casting equipment for sale.

Lee 10 but would prefer a 20 lb. furnace,
Lyman 45 or 450 Luber Sizer or RCBS Lube-a-matic

at this point I plan to start casting for .38 Sp./ .357 Mag. and .45 ACP so I will need a.358 and .452 sizing die's.

For the .38 I would love to find a mold for 148g. HBWC,, I don't know if there is such a mold,, if not I will be looking to cast WC.
For the .45 I plan to cast a 200g. SWC.

anyway I am glad to find your site (thanks to the great folks at Ruger Forum)

Thanks,

Steve

nagantguy
07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Welcome steveo, you have come to the right place. Yes there are molds for 148 hbwc. And if its ever been made as far as casting, loading gear an tools you will be able to find it here. Make sure to vet a notebook there is so much info here you cannot hope to remember it all. Learned more here in a few months than years casting alone lost in the wilderness.

dbosman
07-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Welcome.
IF you put in the time, read the stickies (lots and lots and lots and lots..... of stickies) and use search, you will find more useful information here than you'd get in years of working at it yourself.

One hollow base wad cutter would be the Ideal #358395, but it's a single cavity and probably not readily available.

The better option would be a 4 Cavity Mihec 38 Brass Hollowbase Wadcutter
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?99991-4-Cavity-Mihec-38-Brass-Hollowbase-Wadcutter

JeffinNZ
07-23-2013, 11:35 PM
We snared another one guys. Yeeehaaa.

Welcome along.

RobS
07-23-2013, 11:38 PM
You can post what you want in the want to buy section once you have enough posts or have been a member long enough (30 days).
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

Rules are at the top regards to posting etc.

I would also look at these two online resources:
http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm
and
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

The advise to read the sticky's at the top of each section is a great help as well and will reduce the chances of asking a question that has been answered already.

I think you are going to like it here steveo...........it's a great place here on Cast Boolits. Welcome aboard!!!

steveo
07-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Thank's for the link's,,,, I can tell this is the tip of the iceberg,,, Looking forward to getting my equipment and getting started casting!!

Dean D.
07-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Welcome Steveo, you've come to the right place if your wanting to learn to cast boolits!

smoked turkey
07-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Welcome! I would also suggest you get a copy of the Lyman cast boolit handbook. I think they spell it wrong in their title. They spell it bullet instead of what we call em here-boolit. Oh well glad to have you and I am sure you will find your way around soon enough. As stated I also highly recommend you read the stickys. You will find enough info there to give you a knowledge level equivalent to a doctor's degree in cast boolits.

jmort
07-24-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm from the Ruger Forum, take me to your leader. I spent the better part of two weeks reading everything I found to be interesting. Threads, stickies, all of it, including the links in post #5.

gmsharps
07-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Welcome to the site. MIHEC has made a 38cal HBWC mold on a previous group buy. He may still have some available. Send him an e-mail to find out at http://www.mp-molds.com/ He is located in slovenia but he makes one of the best molds around.

gmsharps

gray wolf
07-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Welcome to cast bullets, take it slow and all will be well.
You will find some of the best people here, --- folks that will go out of the way to see you safe and happy.

mdi
07-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Hold on, this ride can last the rest of your life! I don't think there is a more satisfying aspect of roll-yer-own ammo making than casting your own bullets. I would suggest you keep it simple so casting will be much less frustrating that way (unless you've got a bunch of cash laying around just waiting to be spent). Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a good source of info (get the 3rd Edition if you can if not a 4th will do especially if you get into black powder cartridge shooting) as well as Cast Bullets For Beginners and Expert http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm (also a bunch of good stuff on the LASC website). The info you find at these sites or books will also lead you as to the equipment that will suit your casting needs. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/188-7763162-1323540?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Lyman%27s+Cast+bullet+Handbook%2C+3rd+Edi tion

FWIW, I started 19 years ago with a 2 qt. stainless steel pot, a Coleman stove, a Lee mold, a Lee dipper, and a slotted spoon. I had access to a lot of wheel weights and just used sawdust as flux. I tumble lubed with alox and learned about pan lubing and made enough bullets to keep my .44 Magnums barrels' hot for several months before I started "upgrading" and bought a bottom pour pot...

steveo
07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks All,
My Lyman 4th edition just showed up!

I already started a note book with a lot of good tips and links you fine folks have shared with me!

Steve

john hayslip
07-24-2013, 04:43 PM
I'd recommend a straight double ended wadcutter to start off with as the casting production rate will be much greater than one with a hollow base.

jmort
07-24-2013, 05:44 PM
"I'd recommend a straight double ended wadcutter to start off"

Me too

knifemaker
07-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Steveo, I think I am the guy on the Ruger site that first reccommended you to become a member here. You should enjoy it. I also reccommend that for the 38 wadcutter you select a double end mold. Far easier to cast with then a hollow base and the accuracy with them will be excellant.

Hunter
07-24-2013, 07:13 PM
I put this article together sometime back, it may help you a bit getting into casting.

http://www.gunclassifieds.com/blog/the-evolution-of-the-wheel-weight/

lonewelder
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
I would start with a 20lb pot.And a hot plate.The lee six cavity molds are a good deal for the money.Don't over look the tumble lube.For fairly little money you can get started and build as you go and learn more.There is more knowledge here on casting and shooting than you will find anywhere.Welcome to the forum

Abenaki
07-24-2013, 07:58 PM
STOP!
You don't want to do this. It's very dangerous!
You could get burned really bad! Not to mention lead poisoning!
And it also means less lead for me! There is only so much lead on this planet!

Welcome aboard!
Abenaki

PS Paul
07-24-2013, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=Abenaki;2318002]STOP!
You don't want to do this. It's very dangerous!
You could get burned really bad! Not to mention lead poisoning!
And it also means less lead for me! There is only so much lead on this planet!
Pretty funny, dude.....

Welcome, SteveO. you should post the area where you reside in your profile as well...... Lots of folk find others who share our interest by partnering with others who live in and around their home States. Just a thought, FWIW.

you've discovered the very BEST forum on the planet, bar NONE.
PSP

steveo
07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks again about the WC for starts, it makes sense that as my experience progresses so will the degree or difficulty I will be successful with...:D

steveo
07-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Steveo, I think I am the guy on the Ruger site that first reccommended you to become a member here. You should enjoy it. I also reccommend that for the 38 wadcutter you select a double end mold. Far easier to cast with then a hollow base and the accuracy with them will be excellant.

Yes you are and thank you for the recommendation!

leadman
07-25-2013, 05:39 AM
For a person just starting out the Hi-Tek Supercoating would be a very good thing to investigate. There is a sticky in the Boolit Lube section.
Not a hard process and start-up costs are very reasonable.

gwpercle
07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Better late than never...but twenty years ago you could actually find casting gear and it was cheaper. I can't even find a mould handle. When the manufacturer says out of stock..things are bad. Don't give up though , keep beating the bushes for what you need and welcome to the addiction.

Gary

olafhardt
07-26-2013, 03:55 AM
If you do something really stoopid be sure to post it. We love stoopid. Actually ocasionally something stoopid turns out to work. Might stoopidity be one of the mothers of invention?

gofastman
07-26-2013, 11:00 AM
If you do something really stoopid be sure to post it. We love stoopid.
Agreed! Well go easy on ya, promise :bigsmyl2:
also, its not if its when!

Welcome aboard!

429421Cowboy
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Welcome aboard, from another Ruger Forum.net user!

I know it was said by one over there that we are "very opinionated" but no one here will ever lead you astray I promise that! This is the best family a guy could ever have to learn from!

Char-Gar
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Welcome...Lots of folks here to give you a good start.

Cherokee
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome ! I'm from the Ruger forum as well, lots of good folks and knowledge here and all willing to help ya out.