PDA

View Full Version : New to CB - Start with 357 mag

tesquenure
07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

Im new to CB, after read this forum i decide to start cast my bullets.

Firearms : Rossi 92 357 mag

Equipment :
LEE pot
Caliber RCBS .358
Mold 2 Cav. RCBS .358 158grs RN
Lub RCBS

Lead :
I have WW and from range + tin.
My 1st alloy is : 49% WW + 49% Range + 2% tin. (quantity 280 bullets)
Harness is 9 (the same day i cast) for water drop.

Primer : normal (not magnum)

Powder : universal

I do reload test from minimum to maximum and over maximum with great attention. ( I already reload rifle but with coper bullet, lead is an other world).
I start to be accurate to 25 m with 1400 fps to 1500 fps. i can go faster and be safe.
My problem is than the barrel lead a lot in the 1st " from chamber.

At less fps its totally not accurate.

At this point, i dont know if its because im to fast or if im to slow (not pressure needed).
Or if the problem come from the barrel dimension, than is close to .3555 and bullet at .358.
Or else ?

Thx.
Tesq.

tesquenure
07-24-2013, 02:31 AM
Hi all,

I think i find one my lead problem.

I use LEE dies.
The full die reform case at .376 with thickness of .01 (some time .012) - .01X2=.02 - .376-.02=.356
Its mean for me than .358 lead bullet became .356 by swagging.
The seating die have the same problem.

Do you think it can be the explanation off leading ?
In this case, i can, do harder lead or work on die.

Thx,
Tesq.

knifemaker
07-24-2013, 03:50 AM
If your bullet is being swagged down to under the barrel groove size, that is more likely your leading problem as the bullet is undersize and allowing hot gas blowby. I am shooting a 158 gr. cast RNFP in my Rossi 92 at 1400 fps for a plinking load. As my bullet is 1 thousand over barrel groove, I am getting no leading of the barrel and very good accuracy. I am using a 50/50 mix of wheel weights and pure lead with 2% tin added. Pretty close to the alloy you are using.

tesquenure
07-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Knifemaker,
It what i think, i happy to know than it's work for you in same rifle and alloy. And its mean i can do it.
What kind of die are you using ?
What is your external diameter of ammo at bullet level after bullet seating and crimping ?
What is your external diameter of ammo after full size die ?
What is your AOL ?
Do you crimp bullet ?

A lot of question.

Thx,
Tesq.

tesquenure
07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Hi all,

I do test with fresh shot case, .380. I put bullet on it with seater and crimping.
The bullet fall in the case.
Before modified the full die, does hardness of 10 can resolved my problem of swagging bullet at seating step ?

Thx,
Tesq.