PDA

View Full Version : Traditions Deer Hunter percustion .50

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-23-2013, 09:59 PM
I bought one online , hopefully it will be here next week

It is an older one , but looks to be in good shape

I know it's not the fanciest muzzle loader but should be a decent enough shooter and hunting gun

does anyone else have one

with a 24 inch 1:48 barrel it seemed like it would be a handy length

rodwha
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm curious as to what you think about it. I almost got one.

mooman76
07-23-2013, 10:26 PM
I have one but it's a 32 cal. Fun little gun too shoot. I used to have a CVA Frontier rifle that was a 24" and it shoot really good. Wish I had never sold it. I also have a CVA mountain stalker. Its about the same as the Deer Hunter except it has a 28" and it is a good shooter too and I haven't hunted with it but would be a handy one with it's size and weight.

Lefty SRH
07-24-2013, 05:22 AM
I have one but its a LEFTY .50 cal FLINCHLOCK. No, its not the faciest but it does shoot well! Ignition is quite fast on my rifle eventhough its a flint. Best advice I can give you is stick with true blackpowder and clean well when you are done shooting it after each session and it will serve you well.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-24-2013, 09:26 AM
I use FFFg black for most everything , if you can get a few freinds to go in on a case of 25 it is only about 14 dollars a pound shipped

I definitely clean well with hot soapy water after every use , then re-oil well

this isn't my first I also have a CVA Kentucky long that a friend put together from a kit back in the 70s , the lock on the traditions looked the same , and if i recall for a while they both imported parts and barrels from Spain. I also have an inline.

I started with the Inline NEF huntsman so that i could hunt a archery and muzzle loader only area thick with deer about 3 miles south of the state capital building , I got a few deer then people with a lot more time than i had set up on the state land adjacent to the apple orchard my aunt owns , and then the deer only came in after dark. but it was too late i was hooked , and when I started helping with 4h then i was really hooked.

my son 10 asked me about getting a muzzle loader so i started looking , i found this one for a fair price and then my son found other interests for his money so I figured maybe i needed another caplock

it looked like this one was old enough to have a dove tail slot rear sight , the newer ones have a plastic rear sight , I like the Marbel's bulls eye sight in the rear i like not covering up half the target with the sights

I am a 4H muzzle loading instructor , and muzzle loading day is a blast , I wish we could get more muzzle loading events thru the year , it would be a lot of fun , shooting muzzle loader silhouettes is one of my favorite things to shoot

Hanshi
07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I got a Traditions DeerHunter .50 around 1991 and only traded it recently. Don't sell them short; those barrels are as good as any and those little rifles are reliable. I killed a truck load of deer with mine; all one shot. It's hard to do better than the DeerHunter.

mooman76
07-24-2013, 08:10 PM
my first I also have a CVA Kentucky long that a friend put together from a kit back in the 70s , the lock on the traditions looked the same , and if i recall for a while they both imported parts and barrels from Spain. I also have an inline.

For quite awhile they did use the exact same parts. About 20 years ago I wanted to covert one to flintlock. I had a catalog and was wanting to make it as painful as I could. That's when I noticed all the CVA and Traditions part numbers were exactly the same. I got a Traditions Flint- lock for my CVA and it droped right in after I replaced the drum with a flashhole liner. Eventually they started making their own or having someone here in the states make their parts, that is when they changed. Now CVA doesn't even make traditional MLs any more.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-24-2013, 10:44 PM
I know my cva is early 70s , before they even had the "read the manual stamped" on the barrel

i think the Deer hunter is also older , as it looked to have a dove tail front and rear sight , and the new ones have had screw down plastic sights for a while

KyBill
07-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Traditions Deer Hunter 50 Cal is the first Black powder Rifle I bought new in 88or89 still have it and has dropped many deer over the years . It loves Hornady Great Plains and the Thompson Center maxi-hunter . Hodgdons Pyrodex RS works well .My hunting load is 80g pyrodex rs, felt ,385gr hornady G P Conical . 70gr pyrodex rs,felt ,T/C maxi-Hunter . (used Goex for years no problems 4th or 5th shot brushed the barrel )Targets with a round ball its a 10 I have a scope on mine , my ole eyes are tired Have some parts if you need anything shoot me a Pm

KyBill
08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
added a couple photos
1st is the 50 cal DeerHunter Stainless parts of my junk 54 DeerHunter the other from top down DeerHunter,T/C smoothbore 56 ,another 56 sb , T/C 36 Seneca in need of correct hammer ,T/C Hawken

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I got it , bummer that the tang was lost in shipping but the seller is reimbursing me for the one i just order from traditions , so all is good.

Otherwise i don't think it has ever been shot , the bore is bright and shiny including the breech plug face , the bluing is like new , a small nic in the trigger guard and a few scratches near the but plate makes me think safe queen.

it is light and short and easy to handle and point , i could see more of these for the youth program

when i get the tang i will take it out and put it through the paces and see how she looks on paper

this looks like an older one , as it has a metal rear sight dove tailed in to the barrel , the newer ones have a plastic rear sight elevation adjustable

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-18-2013, 11:21 PM
I got the new tang Friday and today i got it to the range.

I also realized i need t cast up a bunch more .490 RB the kids cleaned me out earlier this year and i had forgot.

so I shot the last RB i found in my box dead center and about an inch or 1.5 low at 25 yards , then i loaded up some lee reals i had cast up , same point of impact made a nice group overlapping holes so i ran the target out too 50 yards , then realized i was out of powder and had to call it quits. so much for only bringing the horn and not grabbing a can also

I plan to change the back sight rather than lower the front sight any more I like a peep any way , then i might have to get a taller front