PDA

View Full Version : smith 625jm trigger is yucky

ratboy
07-23-2013, 09:55 PM
recently acquired a 625jm. it wasnt what i was looking for but i figured it was worth a test drive at least. bought it used.
the trigger is, how do you say?, awful.:sad: the double action has a distinct step in it. it is where the trigger picks up the hammer off the sear. i think it could be fixed with a new sear but i am not sure if i can get the right one. it has a mim hammer in it and everywhere i look, the listed sear has no picture so i may verify it is correct before ordering. i am also curious at to why it is awful to begin with. i realize it is a rhetorical question but this shouldnt be required of a reasonably new pistol.had i bought it new i would have sent it right back. i poked around and it does not look like anyone has been inside modifying anything? anyhoo..... does anyone know where i can get the correct mim sear to fix this thing? would a call to smith be worth it?
this is the newest smith i have and have never even thought of calling them before.
im kinda lost......:confused:

357Ruger
07-24-2013, 07:14 AM
I would call Smith, they will probably send you a UPS call tag and you can return it on their dime. That is what they did with my very poor shooting 10 shot 617. Now it shoots great.
You don't even have to call, I did it over the internet and received my call tag via email.
Use this link: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_761651_-1_757814_757812_image

ratboy
08-04-2013, 11:05 PM
thank you 357ruger for that. i looked into it and decided to call and talk to a person.
problem turned out to be a botched trigger job by the previous owner. i missed the evidence.
closer inspection revealed stoning of the sear surface of the trigger. i dont know why the previous owner felt the need to mess with something he obviously is not proficient with but it has been repaired. smith understandably could not give me answers without first seeing the pistol. in an effort to avoid a wait i took a better look figuring i couldnt make it much worse. it has been restored to better than its original smoothness i think. shoots well. i feel a bit dumb for thinking it hadnt been buggered up by the previous owner(i know better). oh well. it was still cheap. now i will see how well these mim parts wear...........