PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Slug

joeatact
07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I noticed that the Lyman slug, the one that looks like the Lee 1 oz, is bigger in diameter. What is a good wad to use with it?

Hogtamer
07-23-2013, 04:35 PM
See this thread among others. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?205995-525-Lyman-slug

joeatact
07-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Its not the pellet style slug its the old foster style slug.

longbow
07-24-2013, 12:02 AM
That slug is not designed to fit into a shotcup. It is supposed to obturate to fill the bore.

I bought a mould about 25 years ago and have never gotten anything but poor accuracy from it. Best groups at 50 yards have run about 8" and those were paper patched to take up the slack.

Mine casts at 0.705" so too small for the bore and too big for any wad. A Teflon wrap might help but nothing I have tried worked for me.

I would go with the Lee Drive Key Slug in preference. I haven't shot mine much but first time out got sub 6" groups at 50 yards. Way better than anything I have gotten with the Lyman Foster slug.

YMMV

Longbow

joeatact
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
That slug is not designed to fit into a shotcup. It is supposed to obturate to fill the bore.

I bought a mould about 25 years ago and have never gotten anything but poor accuracy from it. Best groups at 50 yards have run about 8" and those were paper patched to take up the slack.

Mine casts at 0.705" so too small for the bore and too big for any wad. A Teflon wrap might help but nothing I have tried worked for me.

I would go with the Lee Drive Key Slug in preference. I haven't shot mine much but first time out got sub 6" groups at 50 yards. Way better than anything I have gotten with the Lyman Foster slug.

YMMV

Longbow

Thanks for the info
Joe