PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Antique Bullet Molds.....Help with I.D.

bonza
07-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Picked up a couple of interesting antique bullet molds at a recent gun show. Not sure what type of firearm either bullet is designed for, or who the molds were made by.

The first mold I believe is British-made. It is 7.5"in length, has a single handle with a solid mold (ie not 2-piece blocks) with sprue cutting plate. It produces a smooth-sided stepped bullet .708" long, the lower step being +/- .418" in diameter, the middle .400", & the nose just above the middle step is .375", weight is 181gns in pure lead. When I first looked at the cavity I thought it was for a heeled bullet, but it's just the opposite! The number 52 (bore?) is stamped on the top of the handle, along with what appears to be a cursive J. On the bottom it is stamped V V.

The second mold has an overall length of a tad over 8", blocks & handles are integral, & there is no sprue cutter but rather the bullet is cast with a generous sprue which is clipped off. Only markings on the mold are six dots on the RHS handle. The bullet is a short conical weighing 195gns, .618"long with two grease grooves. This bullet is more of a heeled design, with the front band being .448", middle .435", & lower .425". I suspect this bullet is for a percussion revolver.

Janoosh
07-23-2013, 02:36 PM
The first boolit looks like the "sugar loaf" boolit spoken of, and pictured, in the book about caplock rifles. The Author's name escapes me now. The second could be for a percussion pistol, but isnt the caliber odd? Is it possible that with that design, the second boolit is used with a Chase patch? But then, why the lube grooves? Another thought, perhaps the taper on the second boolit makes that boolit easier to seat in a casing. Such as 450 Adams, Webly, Tranter, et al. More knowledgable people will follow.....

Janoosh
07-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Author's name is Ned Roberts. Great books on rifles. Shows pictures of early boolits also. I believe the title is " the Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle" . An interesting read.

bonza
07-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Janoosh, thanks for the replies. I actually have the Roberts' book in my library & will have to take a look. I'm pretty sure you are correct about it being a sugarloaf design bullet, as that has also been suggested by other knowledgeable folks, too.

26Charlie
08-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Second bullet looks like it could be for one of the heeled bullet cartridges like .44 American or a .44 short.

Janoosh
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
In reviewing the numbers posted on the second boolit, I believe you are right 26Charlie. It seems like a heeled boolit @ 44 cal.