PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-Melt re-engineered mould guide pics

Just Duke
07-23-2013, 06:57 AM
RCBS Pro-Melt re-engineered mould guide pics
Anyone ever done this. I heard rumors once that a Lyman mould guide can be attached.

novalty
07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Does this count? Cheap fix so I could use the mold guide with my Mihec molds and have the pins sticking out the bottom.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/Casting/IMG_6749_zps7c7061ee.jpg

Just Duke
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Very cleaver. :)

detox
07-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Why would anybody want to modify the original Pro Melt mould guide to begin with. The simple RCBS version works perfect for me.

The aluminum foil under pot in picture is way more clever

Just Duke
07-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Why would anybody want to modify the original Pro Melt mould guide to begin with. The simple RCBS version works perfect for me.

Glad to here it works for you sir.

Here are the mould guides. Uh? Upside down it looks. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/868073/lyman-bullet-mold-guide-for-use-with-lyman-bottom-pour-furnaces

mold maker
07-23-2013, 03:18 PM

You obviously don't use a Mhec HP mould. The pins sticking out of the bottom of the mould, making the RCBS mould guide into just a stumbling block.

Valley Forge
07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
That roller idea for MIHEC moulds looks like something I should try.

novalty
07-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Well I haven't perfected it yet, but it is a better solution than just holding up a 4 cavity brass mold--my arthritis would not allow me to cast for very long. It only cost a couple dollars at the local hardware store. The fender washers and spacer allow the mold to ride on top and clearane the hollow-point pins, but they do leave light scratches on the bottom of the mold. Would like to make some changes and add larger fender washers on the end to guide the mold like the locking rings that are on the Pro-melt originally.

D Crockett
07-23-2013, 11:31 PM
mold maker if you would send me a picture I bet I can make a roller guide that will work with a pin under the mold I have a RCBS PROMELT that I can use if the fabricating part of this project I would also need the dimensions of the mold D Crockett

bobthenailer
07-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I modfied a lyman mould guide to fit my RCBS pro melt pot over 20 years ago !
locate proper postion of mould guide drill 2 holes in the PM base , get 2 3/8 bolts about 3 inches long and some flat washers or spacers and adjust the height of the mould guide to your desired height , install 2 nuts on the bolts , DONE !

Hardcast416taylor
07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
On my RCBS pot I put an 2 1/2" x 3/8" SS pipe nipple on the mold guide rod. I placed the stops on either ends of the nipple to keep it on the rod. My molds roll like on ball bearings now on the nipple, lead drips don`t stick to the nipple either. I keep an ingot mold, RCBS naturally, under the spout to catch drips.Robert

GLL
07-24-2013, 11:06 PM
novalty:

Kudos !

Nice job on a simple solution to a tricky situation with MP Cramer pins !
Although I ladle cast I do have a bottom-pour on order. I plan on "stealing" your design ! :)

Jerry

9.3X62AL
07-25-2013, 01:18 AM
I've had an RCBS Pro-Melt for quite a while, but have yet to use its mould guide. Its use might save some fatigue.

Cosmiceyes
07-25-2013, 02:41 AM
I've had an RCBS Pro-Melt for quite a while, but have yet to use its mould guide. Its use might save some fatigue.

A small amount of essence of the vineyard will ease the fatigue! Not during ,but after! I have this model but mine has the swing arm piece. Couldn't get it adjusted where I can see what I'm doing.So it just sits to the back out of the way.

novalty
07-25-2013, 08:32 AM
novalty:

Kudos !

Nice job on a simple solution to a tricky situation with MP Cramer pins !
Although I ladle cast I do have a bottom-pour on order. I plan on "stealing" your design ! :)

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Just make sure you buy fender washers--found out regular ones in the diameter needed aren't tall enough for the pins to clear the spacer. I'm still waiting for an idea to click on resolving: taller washers (or something else) to act as guide for centering, and possibly changing fender washers to something else that rolls better and/or won't scratch the mold as much.

9.3X62AL
07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
A small amount of essence of the vineyard will ease the fatigue! Not during ,but after! I have this model but mine has the swing arm piece. Couldn't get it adjusted where I can see what I'm doing.So it just sits to the back out of the way.

I think we are talking about the same L-shaped bar. Mine has been turned back since Day 1.