PDA

View Full Version : loose 71?

bigbear
10-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a beater Winchester 71 I recently acquired. With new brass and moderate load, I'm getting most of rounds with primers elevated a bit. Same load in my other 71s no problem at all. Seller and one gunsmith says this is just a sign of wear related increased headspace and rifle o.k. to shoot. Seller says this is not uncommon in his experience with older well used lever actions. I've never seen this before but I'm new to old levers, mostly a bolt action and service rifle shooter.As gun is pretty beat up, I'm not keen to spend a bunch on it (like replaceing major action parts) so planned on using it as a dedicated cast bullet, modest load rifle with careful attention to keeping it's brass separate from my other 348 brass. Comments?thanks!Just trying to learn.Seller is a nice honest guy, got a great WinBB in 375 from him, very fair price and 71 was cheap ( as cheap as one can get for an original 71 that is.

jtaylor1960
10-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Try sizing the cases so you are headspacing on the shoulder of the cartridge instead of the rim.You should be able to keep primers from backing out that way.

bigbear
10-08-2007, 06:08 PM
1. Precisely how does one do that?
2. I was told to look for/special order a neck size only die for 348Win, good idea?
3.Thank-you very much for your reply!

45 2.1
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
2. I was told to look for/special order a neck size only die for 348Win, good idea?

Fire some 20,000 PSI lead boolit loads with the case lightly lubed. That will fireform the cases to the chamber with no headspace issues. Remember to degrease the chamber after fireing, then reload those cases without setting the shoulder back. Do not fire full power loads with lube on the case....!!!!

jtaylor1960
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
To headspace of the shoulder just turn your sizing die up about two turns when you start to re-size your cases.Then run a case through the die and check to see if it will drop into the chamber to the rim using gravity only.If it won't drop in freely turn the die down about a quater turn and try again.When the case chambers freely stop turning the die in.Use that setting to size your cases.This should help with the primers backing out and save a little wear on the cases.Check to make sure your loaded ammo chambers well and the lever closes easily.

woody1
10-08-2007, 09:45 PM

A neck size only would prob'ly do the trick. However, so will just turning your FL die out a little as others have said. You don't say what your "moderate" load is. This may start a discussion I don't really want to start, but with light loads you'll sometimes get primers backing out to the limit the headspace allows while you won't with higher pressure loads. Just get the brass fitted to the chamber and resize without setting the shoulder back and you should be fine. I lightly smoke the case when adjusting the FL die so I can see exactly what the die is doing, especially in the shoulder area. You should be able to tget the die adjusted to just size down the neck without touching the shoulder. I'm pretty sure you won't get primers backing out after that. Regards, Woody

bigbear
10-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys, my next free time I will tryt above advice. I am most reassured though that it is o.k. to keep using the old rifle.

hydraulic
10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
What is a WinBB?

C A Plater
10-11-2007, 10:45 PM
What is a WinBB?

Winchester Big Bore.

bigbear
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
:-DGot the "loose 71" fixed. The stock had been broken sometime in the remote past. Given the area the rifle came from (northern British Columbia) I suspect a horse wreck may have been involved. The lowere tang was bent just enough that the lever bumped into the tang preventing proper closure. The smith fixed and now:drinks::-DAnybody load light bullets for the 348Winchester, eg.180gr?

stocker
11-30-2007, 11:36 AM
bigbear: You anywhere close to Williams Lake? I have a variety of cast boolit moulds for 348 from about 215 grain to 270 grain. Nothing as light as 180 but I can fix you up with some test boolits if you're nearby or passing through.