PDA

View Full Version : LLA and hang fires.

fusionstar916
07-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Went camping this past weekend with a few loads for the 300 blackout.
Lee Liquid Alox dipped Noe 247's. However 2 in 10 rounds would hangfire. I'm currently using wolf SR primers and 11gr's of 1680 powder. I had left the ammo can in my hot black truck for 2 days straight in 95+ degrees before I went shooting. I also had lots of soft loads, probably sub 800 FPS and the cases were sooted up bad, I could actually see the bullet in flight when the sun was behind me just like a 45. Has anyone had this issue? I'm guessing the LLA on the base melted and contaminated the powder due to the lube grooves sitting below the shoulder. But dont have the experience to tell. No leading as far as I can tell.
The primers work great for my other loads.
The great news is my 300blk ar can cycle 800 fps and still lock back the action.

357maximum
07-22-2013, 07:06 PM
If you melted LLA your boolit melted too.

I would find another powder.....I have seen cans of 1680 get used as a hot potato between reloading buddies....there is damn good reason for that. I dislike it in anything I have ever tried it in. I had better luck with MAG primers, but I still do not like it. I was never once able to achieve book velocities with it either in several attempts with different toys......... Others will disagree with me, that's OK, but now you have MY OPINION.

Jumbopanda
07-23-2013, 05:15 AM
If you melted LLA your boolit melted too.

I would find another powder.....I have seen cans of 1680 get used as a hot potato between reloading buddies....there is damn good reason for that. I dislike it in anything I have ever tried it in. I had better luck with MAG primers, but I still do not like it. I was never once able to achieve book velocities with it either in several attempts with different toys......... Others will disagree with me, that's OK, but now you have MY OPINION.

1680 is specifically recommended by AAC for subsonic 300BLK loads because it's supposed to cycle better.

blikseme300
07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Not all Blackout rifles are the same though. The beauty of reloading is the opportunity for us to craft rounds that match our rifles. I have never used 1680 as it is not available in my area but the good selection of other powders available allowed me to craft subsonic rounds that function well in AR platform rifles ranging from 8" SBR's to 16" carbines.

destrux
07-24-2013, 08:19 PM
It's the primers I'd bet. I had hangfires with Wolf SRM primers, their SR aren't any more powerful than their SRM. Wolf primers don't like to ignite some powders. I had the problem horribly with H335 (ball powder). The primers worked 100% with H4198 (extruded powder).

I've been pretty sloppy with LLA loading pistol bullets, to the point where my powder was in a big clump on the back of the bullet on a few I pulled... and never had a hangfire with anything lubed with LLA.

Jumbopanda
07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
It's the primers I'd bet. I had hangfires with Wolf SRM primers, their SR aren't any more powerful than their SRM. Wolf primers don't like to ignite some powders. I had the problem horribly with H335 (ball powder). The primers worked 100% with H4198 (extruded powder).

I've been pretty sloppy with LLA loading pistol bullets, to the point where my powder was in a big clump on the back of the bullet on a few I pulled... and never had a hangfire with anything lubed with LLA.

I kind of doubt that. I've never had a single issue with Wolf primers (SR223, SRM, and SR) igniting around 25 grains of ball powder in .223/5.56 loads. I highly doubt 11 grains of powder in a subsonic 300BLK load would cause problems.

357maximum
07-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I have used wolf primers in several sizes/apps...have yet to see any issues. 1680 has always been "issue" sold by the pound for me however. fusionstar.............Please let us know how this sorts out. At least one Enquiring mind wants to know.