PDA

View Full Version : Super Blackhawk trouble

Airman Basic
07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Okay guys, help me out here. Few months ago, I bought a Talo SBH 44 mag with 3.75 in. barrel. Thing was beautiful. Only problem is, won't shoot worth a dang. Using loads that shoot great in other 44s, half dozen different bullet designs, different powders. 2 inch groups at 10 yards, 6 inch at 25 yards. Tried everything I can think of, the thing just won't shoot. Got so much money in it, I hate to give up. Any ideas?:sad:

Tatume
07-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi Fellow,

I worked for years on a Super Blackhawk that was a Christmas present from my wife in the mid-nineties. Because she gave it to me, I wasn't willing to let it go. I tried everything I could think of, to no avail. This year I even sent it to a custom shop for Taylor throating, and a recut of the crown and forcing cone. No joy. Finally I sent it back to Ruger with a detailed letter describing everything I've done. Now I'm waiting to see what Ruger has to say.

I hope you get yours straightened out in less time than it has taken me.

BTW, I have other Blackhawks that shoot wonderfully. They can be very accurate.

Take care, Tom

Cosmiceyes
07-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Mic your exit end of cylinder,and push a lead boolit through the barrel,and mic it at it's largest travel area.If cylinder is larger than barrel push a cast boolit in from the front of barrel to the halfway point then pull it back out. Mic it.If it is the cylinder size now you have the Ruger bump in the throat.You can get a forcing cone measuring tool from Brownells to see how much needs to be cut away and polished.From Brownells is a kit to fix this problem.It's about $150 for a particular caliber to cut the cone,and $270 for all calibers to cut change angle,and polish.It's less than a 30 min.job for cutting.Polishing takes till it is smooth,and that is up to you.If you want a Good Pistol Smith can do it for you.If that doesn't work send the gun back to be fixed or replaced.

Airman Basic
07-22-2013, 04:47 PM
---BTW, I have other Blackhawks that shoot wonderfully. They can be very accurate.

Take care, Tom

All my other Blackhawks shoot good to great. This is the first one that absolutely refuses to perform. Frustrating.

nagantguy
07-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Best wishes to you pal, I had a very special to me anyway .44 sbh that one day went sideways tried everything two pistol smiths, New barrel grip back to ruger never got her right again, traded it off for some now forgotten. Fancy. The rest of the stable of blackhawks are pure D shooters, love em.

historicfirearms
07-22-2013, 06:57 PM
That is a good looking revolver. I've wanted one since they came out but I can't decide between the bisley or standard grip. Only help I can give you is slug the chambers and barrel. Look for undersized throats on the cylinder and a constriction in the barrel where it threads into the frame. If the throats are smaller than groove diameter, it won't shoot cast well. Same for a barrel constriction. Both can be fixed if needed.

Tatume
07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
All my other Blackhawks shoot good to great. This is the first one that absolutely refuses to perform. Frustrating.

Learn from my mistakes. I spent years and hundreds of dollars trying to fix one. I should have sent it to Ruger at the git go.

Ninety Caliber
07-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Ok you gonna hang awhile or come on home?

Tatume
07-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Ok you gonna hang awhile or come on home?

?

Take care, Tom