PDA

View Full Version : Bought two Traeger Pellet fired grills

Down South
07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I have a buddy who has told me for a while that he wanted a Traeger grill. I never thought much about it. A grill is a grill pretty much to me anyway. I have a couple big pits that I fire with wood that do a great job but setting up and clean up is a hassle.
I have a charcoal fired grill and a Propane grill for the easy stuff. I never did care for the propane grills.
Anyway, I went over to my buddy's house this weekend to just hang out and cook a bit. He had his new Traeger Grill. It was the Texas model. I have to admit, even though it is pricy, I fell in love with it. This thing works off of wood pellets that are fed into a little firebox by an auger. It cooks great or you can just smoke with it and it's not messy.

So, now I'm the proud owner of two Traeger grills. They were on sale at Costco in Sugarland. I saved a few hundred bucks on the grills, got free covers for both, two free bags of pellets and a couple free bottles of seasoning.
I had planned on buying a new grill for the house and I wanted a new grill for my RV so I got a Jr for the RV and the Texas for the house.

Sweetpea
07-22-2013, 02:12 PM
You're gonna love it!

I don't buy that it is cheaper to run than charcoal or lp, BUT, it is easy as lp, with great flavor from the wood.

Try the whole chicken with your favorite rub. Tastes better than any restaurant could ever make!

Brandon

Sweetpea
07-22-2013, 02:22 PM
BTW, if you do the chicken, do at least two... One for dinner, and what's left make some killer chicken sandwiches, enchiladas, chili, etc.

Brandon

Baja_Traveler
07-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Traeger grills are hugely popular over on the Smoking Meats Forum where I'm usually hanging out. Might as well just throw out any regular grills you have, because after turning out awesome smoked meats in the Traeger, you'll never use them again...

Down South
07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Traeger grills are hugely popular over on the Smoking Meats Forum where I'm usually hanging out. Might as well just throw out any regular grills you have, because after turning out awesome smoked meats in the Traeger, you'll never use them again...

Yes, I just walked in the door and the wife was saying how good the taste of the foods cooked over the past couple days was from these grills. We gave my buddy's a work out Saturday. We cooked chicken, Shrimp kabobs, all kinds of vegetables, pork chops, ears of corn. I cooked a slab of pork ribs on mine yesterday.

altheating
07-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Wait till you cook venison steaks on the pellet grill ! The best tasting venison ever! I probably will never use my propane grill again.

dbosman
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
altheating, Have you had the Traeger long enough to comment on how it holds up to Northern Winters? Or is this a store it till Spring item?

Thanks.

Gliden07
07-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Very nice Grills!! The Hardware store I use to work for sold them. I wanted one but had just bought a Weber Performer with the propane start nice grill too but the Trager is the Cadillac of Grills!! Congrats!!

snuffy
07-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Well color me un-sold! I looked up the website, almost went no further than the somber blackout background and red accents. WOW!!! a grand?? for the Texas!!??¿

It needs electricity to work. Not good for power out scenarios like SHTF, it would be scrap metal then.

I have 2 grills, a Texan Weber, and a char broil smoker/grill, With the Weber, I can grill steaks, brats, heart dogs, hamburgers . With the char broil, I use that for smoking. With those, I control what wood I smoke with. What are those pellets made from? What are the parent woods? I would not want pine, or some other weed woods like willow to flavor my meats.

snuffy
07-22-2013, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAc-M_O8uZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBdg98xp50

Now I'm less ignorant than when first reading about the Traeger grills. The above videos tell the story quite well. I wonder what it costs to feed these grills, how much are the pellets?

There's no way I could afford one anyway, besides I'm quite happy with the char broiler.

Sweetpea
07-22-2013, 10:34 PM
If you look around, you should be able to find 20 lb. bags for $12-14...

MaryB
07-23-2013, 12:35 AM
The pellets most competitors use http://www.charcoalstore.com/c6200/Wood-Pellets $20 a bag free shipping if you order enough. Love my Traeger, at my annual BBQ 4th of July week I made smoke grilled bison steaks and everyone raved over them. On the 4th I loaded it up with 6 slabs of ribs and a bison hump roast.

Gunload Master
07-23-2013, 02:17 AM
My buddy says the best thing hes cooked on his traeger was a pizza... go figure! I hope to snag one someday.

MaryB
07-23-2013, 11:23 PM
I used to cater BBQ before I hurt my spine, this was my annual BBQ in 2006. I had a Klose Family Reunion trailer pit then. All wood fired

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/bbqparty003.jpg

gkainz
07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
two thumbs up (and lickin 'q sauce from the other 8 fingers) on the pic above! I just use a little old Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain propane smoker.