PDA

View Full Version : Align pin really sticky

trixter
07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a new style Lee TL 452-200 SWC, and the boolits literally fall out of this mold, I love it, but I also have a problem with it. The front alignment pin has become so tight that I cannot get it to open or close all the way. Before I send it back to Lee, what can I do to get it back to where it was when it was new.

375RUGER
07-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Clean lube off of it. If it's not lube build up then either the pin or the bushing needs to be tapped back into the block gently.

BK7saum
07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Does it stick when cold or hot? Based upon your description, it seems to stick when hot and casting. If so +1 375 Ruger

I just wanted to make sure that your weren't observing sticking pins when the mold was cold. Sometimes as things heat up and expand an apparent problem with a mold that is cold isn't a problem any more once up to operating temp.

trixter
07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I am going to try to match a drill to the back side of the hole, then turn it by hand to act like a reamer.

It sticks just the same; hot or cold.

BK7saum
07-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't ream. You could very easily screw up a good mold. The correct fix is to tap the alignment pin back a little. The pins have a taper for that very reason. Tap the pin a few thousandths and check for sticking.

jsizemore
07-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Read the sticky in this forum 'Hensley and Gibbs Mold Users Manual'. There's a link to the second part of the manual that explains adjusting the alignment pins. I know you have a Lee but how to look after any mold is covered by this manual.

trixter
07-22-2013, 11:25 PM
I found a drill that was the exact same size as the .hole and ran it through from the back touched it up just a little bit by hand and it clean it up it's working perfectly.

375RUGER
07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
So, are you using lube on the pins? I quit using lube on the pins for the very reason that the residue gums things up. I don't know what the stuff is that comes with Mihec moulds but I haven't seen any evidence it leaves buildup, so far, but I only use it on the sprue plate. I have also been told that one of the Husquarvana 2 cycle oils doesn't leave build up, I don't remember which on.

Pooch
07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Send it back to LEE. I think that we're all working to hard at fixing LEE's problems with their new mold blocks! LEE seems to be real comfortable with the consumer fixing their problems.