PDA

View Full Version : Part II, Lube causing excessive smoke?

Eagle66
07-22-2013, 05:07 AM
I made up a batch of Ben's Blue a few days ago, then cleaned all the old Lyman's Original from the lube/sizer. Then I sized & lubed a batch of Lee 90318's (140 gr SWC).

Loaded them into .38 Specials Saturday night, (who says I'm to old to have fun on Saturday night? Par-tee!) along with a few dozen Lyman lubed ones I had left over from the last cast/size/lube session, over 3.1 gr of Bullseye. While I was at it, I used up the last of my Lyman lubed Lee 90322 (158 gr SWC)w/o the GC, over 3.7 gr of Bullseye. I lubed a dozen more with the Blue for comparison with the heavier load.

We went to the range Sunday and made a bunch of noise. Result? Clouds of smoke and coughing with both lubes, no noticeable difference between the two. She said the Blue seemed to shoot a bit better, but it was kind of hard for me to tell hard for me to tell. I covered her 10-shot groups of the Lyman lubed boolits with my hand, with her smaller hand with the Blue. Both of mine fit nicely within the Sunday paper's magazine section. (I do okay with the GP-100 on single action, but can't seem to get the hang of it shooting double action. Any hints on this would be welcomed.)

So, next time, I'll try some of the Unique I've been loading my .357 Mag rounds with. If I can find some, I was thinking of trying Winchester 231. Anyway, I'll report back.