PDA

View Full Version : Do I nned to kick myself in the boodinsky?

Cosmiceyes
07-22-2013, 02:08 AM
I bid on an might have won if I kept on bidding for a US Springfield 1870 Remington Navy 50-70.I stopped at 599.99,and it was taken at 660.00. It was between fair and good.(quality) All wood need replaced.Rear sight was not original.Lug for bayonet was filed off.Lots of pitting on barrel,but plate,barrel had very faint rifling,Tang screw was a ground off hex drive.All stamping was visible with the center of the Eagle rubbed out.Lower front plate screw was hex drive.So basically it was a Navy action needing everything else replaced.I almost bid 675 and it showed I would have the higher bid,but I just told myself this was to much for a gun that was only worth the action to me. What do you think.I'm just looking to chunk lead down range into paper.See how accurate I can make one.

Ben
07-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Considering the condition you describe, you may have been wise to allow someone else to own that one.

Ben

Hamish
07-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Should you feel bad for not paying in the neighborhood of $700.00 for a badly mauled barreled action?

I wouldn't think so,,,,,,,,

texassako
07-22-2013, 10:07 AM
The thing with auctions is there is did not win remorse, as I call it. You will never know if $675 would have truly won since the other bidder could have gone higher. Sounds to me like you missed out on a high priced wall hanger or parts gun.

1Shirt
07-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Think the best way to go is to set a max bid price you are willing to go, and stay with it! You won't win them all but you will win a few.
1Shirt!!

John Allen
07-22-2013, 10:47 AM
I think you were smart to stop. I have seen some really messed up ones. When i comes to the older stuff on auctions I want to see lots of pics to make sure it is worth the money.

Cosmiceyes
07-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone. It was the US"NAVY" thing that also had me hung up as a vet. You are right it was the after the auction blues.There were lots of pictures showing this gun to be just above fair,and the only real maybe working part was the action.Glad to have your words comfort my pain.Now let's have a round on me since I still have money! :drinks:

williamwaco
07-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Do I need to kick myself in the boodinsky?

Yes!

Not for letting it go but for bidding on it the first time.

Nickle
07-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Do I need to kick myself in the boodinsky?

Not for letting it go but for bidding on it the first time.

+1 to that. Seems to me it was overpriced in the end.

Auction fever (got-to-win-itis) gets a lot of folks. Yeah they won, but they still took themselves to the cleaners.

Years ago, I saw a used set of Lee 30-30 reloading dies go at $32 (+ shipping). At the time, I could get new RCBS dies many places for about $25 or less. Lee would be around $20 or so. That guy won the auction, and is still an idiot.