PDA

View Full Version : Which Deisel Additive?

.45Cole
07-21-2013, 09:19 PM
So I am wondering what additive to use for my first diesel. I really like red line stuff. Of these which do you use (or is there a better one?)
1. Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst
2. Opti-lube
3. Bio diesel
4. Walmart 2 stroke oil
I will probably use red line and 2 stroke oil together for lubricity and then I need something in the winter to help with water

TXGunNut
07-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Goal is to improve cetane rating and provide lubricity, Ford's Cetane Booster does both and a $9 bottle treats 125 gallons. Can't say about the rest but I hear the Lucas product is good.

.45Cole
07-21-2013, 10:00 PM
I figure this will probably be like asking "which round is best for deer" as everybody does something different. I am getting a CRD tomorrow and taking it on a trip pulling the bikes in an enclosed and figured the long haul would do nicely for a cleaning. I use marvel and lucas in the bikes and truck (gasser)

geargnasher
07-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Power Service Diesel Kleen in the silver bottle. Double-dose it to get six points of cetane. It will pay for itself in mileage gains alone. You didn't say what engine, fuel system type, or emissions rating you have, but PS will do them all, and it's all you need.

Gear

gkainz
07-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Another vote for power service.

starmac
07-21-2013, 10:34 PM
I use the howes, and always felt it paid for itself in mielage gains. I think Lucas claims too also, and I suspect several brands do.

I didn't have good luck with biodiesel, and will continue to support the oil industry. lol

.45Cole
07-21-2013, 10:40 PM
I have heard that running a little biodiesel mix every now and then helps with the lubricity, as does 2 stroke oil.

starmac
07-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Biodiesel has some extreme promoting going on in the last few years. I tried it and for my use I will stick to petroleum products, as I didn't see any benifits to their claims and it does have some downsides that are real, especially in cold weather.

Bad Water Bill
07-21-2013, 11:02 PM
They have mentioned Power Diesel on THE MIDNIGHT RED EYE radio show for a long time and no one has called in to complain YET

Bad Water Bill
07-21-2013, 11:20 PM
What about jelling in the winter?

jmort
07-21-2013, 11:49 PM
PRI-D
http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

Phoenix
07-22-2013, 01:30 AM
I have six total diesels Two of them run offroad diesel which has more sulpher than the new government mandated ultra low sulpher cr@p they force you to get now. Honestly I dont add anything. Diesel here in montana (at least at town pump) has additives in the mix at the pump. Cold weather months has anti-gelling adititves, summer has lubricity addititives. Mine are all OLD diesels 74-86. I would just be happy if we could get the old diesel back as the new stuff makes you take a serious hit on engine efficiency.

Houndog
07-22-2013, 06:59 AM
I owned and drove class 8 tractor trailers for 30 years and own Diesel farm equipment as well as a Diesel pickup. For my money I use
Power Service products, and when I can find it Aviex diesel fuel additives. Be careful using ANY additive containing red die! (MM oil ATF, ETC)
If you get your fuel checked by the DOT and it has red die in it, that's a $10,000 fine! Non taxed offroad diesel contains red die and is
a BIG no-no for on highway use!

Mk42gunner
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Service. It works. Why guess?

Robert

Phoenix
07-22-2013, 10:44 AM
The red dye I was refering too was for my kabota, and case dozer. Not quite crazy enough to run it in my on-road trucks.

frkelly74
07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
I knew a guy who advocated running his waste oil through the big diesel equipment he ran. It got rid of the used oil and it added lubricity. Does that seem reasonable? It was kind of a bailing wire and duct tape type operation.

tryNto
07-22-2013, 11:39 AM
9 year user of Power Service (Silver 9 months and white for 3 months of Winter) and 1/2 oz Walmart TC-W 2 stroke per gallon fuel. (needs to be low/no ash)

Gear oil is not made to burn, not good for newer Diesel Engines (Dodge/Cummins Common Rail)

Older Engines seem to have no problem running a % of waste oil.

Anyone with a Dodge Cummins would gain great insight to their Truck by visiting cumminsforum dot com

jaydub in wi
07-22-2013, 12:16 PM
What about jelling in the winter?
Use Power Service in the white bottle.

garym1a2
07-22-2013, 12:25 PM
All I know is VP44's ant cheap.

dakotashooter2
07-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Not trying to hijack but what is the life of diesel fuel? My MIL has 70 gallons of heating fuel in a tank that is probably 30 years old. I'm jsut wondering if I could use it in a 70's vintage tractor or burn it in my furnace without issues.

TXGunNut
07-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Cetane boosters not only help with fuel mileage but they reduce repairs to the fuel system and everyone's favorite, the EGR system. EGR system, injector and HPOP repair bills have no trouble hitting the $3000 mark. Waste oil works in older engines when mixed with diesel but I'm not willing to risk a $2400 (+ labor) set of injectors to save on fuel. ATF works better but the red dye, as mentioned above, could cost you big time. Only difference between off-road diesel and highway diesel is the taxes paid on the highway fuel and the dye added to the off-road fuel.
If they had to post cetane ratings on the pumps we wouldn't need cetane booster, fuel you pay thru the nose for is about 6 points short of what most engine manufacturers specify. If more folks knew that the oil companies would raise the cetane rating and put the additive folks out of business.
JMHO, but I will tell you I make a pretty decent living selling diesel engine parts.

TreeKiller
07-22-2013, 10:12 PM
1999 Dodge, when I had to put a new fuel pump and injector pump on It was recommended to run 2 stroke oil at 200 to 1 for lube. This is running CA fuel

FISH4BUGS
07-23-2013, 07:47 AM
I have a 1987 Mercedes 300d with 371,000 miles on it. It is being repainted as we speak. It is my daily driver. Bought it with 110,000 on it.
I use the Howe's exclusively and have for years. Engine runs smoother, less smoke, idles better, etc. I get 35mpg at 65.
I will change the oil every 3000 and throw in a couple of ounces into the tank and fill it up. A quick 300 mile trip and the engine is tuned up for another 1000 miles.
I usually put the Howe's in every third tank of fuel.
My license Plates?
DZLFUEL

pmer
07-23-2013, 07:56 PM
I kept thinking that some where I saw a comparison of additives and I found it here in post 9. It seems to have some good info and I'm not trying to rip on your favorite additive. I use the Walmart brand plus two stroke oil in my '04 6.0L Ford Diesel. Trying to stop some of the 6.0L Ford troubles I done the EGR delete, new oil cooler, a coolant filter and use synthetic oil.

Some additives actually take away from micron size of the baseline fuels.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-diesel-discussion/50189-tank-teaching-anyone-wanna-learn.html

.45Cole
07-24-2013, 01:53 AM
pmer,
That is why I was considering biodiesel. I had read this but red line wasn't in the comparison. For my harley, red line made a huge noticeable difference in their trans and primary fluids. I figured if they knew their stuff that well, then they would have put time into their diesel additives. Really, as long as I run something I'm sure I will get home.

pmer
07-24-2013, 08:54 AM
I ran the Redline in the tranny of my Harley too. Its a older 4 speed transmision with a big clunking sound between second and third and wow, the Redline product was like night and day when I put it there. In the engine I ran Torco 25-60w synthetic blend. That engine oil became harder to find because it was making trouble for riders with coated engine parts but its great for the plan old shovel head.

I wonder what a drum of Redline would cost for the transaxles of my pulling tractors LOL. I don't have a smoker tractor but Biodeisel is a sponsor of the National Tractor Pullers Assoc. too.

I wonder about additives making the micron size of fuel bigger - does that mean the injector has a harder time of pushing the same amount of fuel into the cylinder? I think that study does show that ULSD is tuff on fuel systems and that there is a difference on what a person buys for additives.

.45Cole
07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
The study, if I read correctly, measures mars on the cylinder walls. The larger the micron size, the more the wear on the cylinder wall. Yea red line. I'm getting a bottle in fri, and I will post if something unexpected happens.

Down South
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM
I've used Stanadyne preformance formula then went to Power Service. Both are good.

Be careful with biodiesel if you have an older engine. It will clean up the fuel system and plug filters. I've ran a bit of it through the years. Almost made a bio fuel plant at the house once since I had access to all the cooking oil from our offshore platforms.
I liked to run B20 when I could find it.
If you want to run Bio, it's best to start out with B10 and work up.

Bad Water Bill
07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
I wonder what would happen if I put "Power Service Diesel Kleen in the silver bottle" in my 1981 VW diesel P U with about 8,000 miles on the rebuilt engine?:bigsmyl2: