PDA

View Full Version : Can carefully. Plan then can.

dbosman
07-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I know everybody here does most everything the right way, all the time, but a reminder can't hurt.
This guy canned elk and did a number of things incorrectly.

Home Canning Hobby Leads to Near-Fatal Medical Emergency
http://www.kplu.org/post/home-canning-hobby-leads-near-fatal-medical-emergency

MaryB
07-22-2013, 01:15 AM
You absolutely have to follow the time schedules when canning meats. I do a lot of it and have never gotten sick but I follow the rules and if a jar loses seal a week later the food gets tossed. Not something to take lightly.

dragon813gt
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
This will be my first year canning. Just like reloading I am reading everything I can get my hands on over and over. I'm just canning vegetables but I'm still concerned. I have no desire to die at this time.

waksupi
07-26-2013, 02:47 PM
He definitely didn't know what he was doing. The lids pop when they seal. If they don't put them in the frig and eat them, or re-can them.

MaryB
07-26-2013, 11:47 PM
With meat you don't re-can, eat it now or freeze it are the only options. To risky otherwise. Any low acid food is that way.

762 shooter
07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
That guy did not take a shortcut. He simply did not know what he was doing and didn't care enough to find out. He's lucky to still be in the gene pool. I'm sorry, but I am getting tired of making excuses for idiots.

I'll probably edit this later to tone it down, but not right now.

Lance Boyle
08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Ugh, I had just one quart of venison not seal. I'm sure it boiled over and "greased" the jar lip. It went into the fridge and was dinner the next day.

MaryB
09-13-2013, 11:20 PM
CSA left me a flat of tomatoes today so project time was on. Crushed tomatoes for this winter

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/2013-09-13_20-08-19_527_zps040c90fa.jpg

dragon813gt
09-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I've been having issues with losing water from the jars when pressure canning lately. Headspace is correct, removed as much air as possible from the jars before putting on the lids. And I've been waiting for all pressure to relieve before opening the canner. So far only one jar of peppers didn't seal. The rest all sealed but the water doesn't cover all of the fruit/vegetables :(

lancem
09-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I've been having issues with losing water from the jars when pressure canning lately. Headspace is correct, removed as much air as possible from the jars before putting on the lids. And I've been waiting for all pressure to relieve before opening the canner. So far only one jar of peppers didn't seal. The rest all sealed but the water doesn't cover all of the fruit/vegetables :(

I have only canned meat but I have to ask why are you using a pressure canner for peppers? Would it not be better/easier to use the water bath method for them?

waksupi
09-14-2013, 10:40 AM
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

Reusable canning lids, anyone? They are the weak spot in long term shortages. Friends have used them and love them, I'm going to get some.

I dry my peppers. Yesterday I was grinding some hot Hungarian paprikas. Choke, sneeze, runny nose!

jmort
09-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Tattler is the way to go. I only do "water bath" canning.

dragon813gt
09-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I have only canned meat but I have to ask why are you using a pressure canner for peppers? Would it not be better/easier to use the water bath method for them?

You get a better product with a pressure canner. They aren't being pickled so you should pressure can them to make sure all the bacteria is killed. There is a lot of info out there on which way is safer. I know for a fact the pressure canner is. It also takes a lot less time. Which uses less gas which makes it cheaper for me.

I dry my peppers. Yesterday I was grinding some hot Hungarian paprikas. Choke, sneeze, runny nose!

This is what I do as well for the hot peppers. For the sweet peppers I do not dehydrate them.

oneokie
09-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Are you cold packing the product? I had that problem last year and went to hot pack and the liquid loss went away.

dragon813gt
09-14-2013, 07:09 PM
They're hot packed. I've had very little liquid loss when cold packing. The peppers were roasted, peeled and packed while still hot. This is the first year I've stated canning by myself but did it growing up. I'm doing everything by the book but having some issues :confused:

oneokie
09-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Is the liquid escaping from the jar or is the liquid filling the cavities of the peppers?

MaryB
09-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Some liquid loss is normal when pressure canning, and for some reason a food may foam more one year than another

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2013, 06:35 AM
neat idea but looking at the prices i can buy a whole lot of lids at menards for the same price as a dozen of those.

Reusable canning lids, anyone? They are the weak spot in long term shortages. Friends have used them and love them, I'm going to get some.

dragon813gt
09-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Some liquid loss is normal when pressure canning, and for some reason a food may foam more one year than another

I'm aware of this. And for the most part it's not that bad. I know some of it is because I can't get all the air out so the liquid isn't leaving the jar. It's just a little worrisome when the liquid doesn't cover what's in the jar completely. I found out it was a bad lid that caused the jar of peppers to not seal. And that one also boiled all the liquid out for some reason. The contents have already been eaten :)

Rick N Bama
09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

Reusable canning lids, anyone? They are the weak spot in long term shortages. Friends have used them and love them, I'm going to get some

We tried those this canning season & had issues with about half not wanting to seal. I can only imagine that it was something we did, or maybe did not do, but I doubt our ever trying them again. There's just too much at stake to take a chance on them.

Rick

selmerfan
09-16-2013, 08:28 PM
And those are pretty much identical symptoms to myasthenia gravis. I had the Minnesota Dept. of Health fast-track me through a Level 1 trauma center because of the botulism suspicions based on my homemade sauerkraut, which it turns out, was just fine. :) Scary, scary experience.

CastingFool
10-28-2013, 11:50 PM

We freeze our peppers. Wash, core, seed, dice or chop into small pieces. Spread them (single layer) out in a cookie sheet, then pop them in the freezer. After they are frozen, just bag them up in freezer bags, and put back in the freezer for later use. they'll keep that way for a long time, when needed, just take out what's needed.

oneokie
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Peppers are a low acid food. Unless you are adding vinegar, lemon juice, or citric acid, you run the risk of botulism.

Capt. Methane
11-16-2013, 07:40 AM

I can my own pepper sauce so intuitively something like jalapenos or habeneros would seem potent enough to prevent botulism, right?

That isn't the case!!!

Peppers aren't acidic and they have to be treated like green beans. To use a water bath method safely they have to be allowed to ferment for two-three weeks like a sauerkraut/pickling process or have 20% vinegar added.

Drying is another good process and you can use your own dried peppers to make your own chile powder that is actually HOT as opposed to that sorry, so called "hot" stuff from the store.

The other thing I'll do is grind them up into a slurry seeds and all or cored and seeded and put the slurry into an ice cube tray and freeze. When solid you pop them out and put them into some freezer bags and you can spice up some soup or whatever.

L Ross
11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
We have been using Tattler brand reusable lids and rings for about three years now. We have had one failure to seal, we've had more failure to seals with conventional rings, but it is a very small number in total with either. Yes they are more costly than conventional but.....they're reusable, (reloadable). Reuse them once, and they are now half price, three times, well you get the idea.

Duke