PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark I with Ultra Dot 4.

Changeling
07-21-2013, 04:48 PM
44Man put a Ultra Dot 4 on my Ruger Mark I Target pistol, and I just wanted everyone to know that this is the most accurate .22 pistol I have ever shot in my life!! The Ultra Dot just makes shooting this pistol so much fun it's unbelieveable.
I have a wide range of shooting distances off my deck and a lot of ground hogs seem to think it's OK to come up to my deck/backyard and build new holes for a condo development I think!
Well I have killed 18 so far since spring so I think they are starting to realize the head of the animal zoning commission has turned down there plans to start a new condominium, LOLAL.

If you get a chance to install one of these Ultra Dots on any pistol/revolver don't even hesitate, They are absolutely fandamtastic!!

fecmech
07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
As my eyesight aged I fought getting a dot sight because pistols shouldn't have those things on them. Fast forward 15 years (70 now) I don't own an iron sighted pistol except my Keltec .380 and you can't call those sights. I shoot better now with the dots than I did in my prime with irons. I have an Ultra Dot on my 1911 slide, a Millet on the .38 and various others on the rest of my handguns.

mtnman31
07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Ultradots, I have two of them. They are money well spent.

I have a Matchdot with adjustable dot sizes. This sight is perfect for plinking/casual shooting as well as precision target shooting. Look around the firing line at any bullseye competition and most shooters who use optics are sporting an Ultradot (although the Aimpoint Micro T1's work well and highly regarded).

My more recent Ultradot is the Matchdot II. It's differences from the first matchdot are the addition of a couple different reticles and target style adjustment knob. In my opinion the recticles are not useful for any type of shooting I do. Plus, it seems like the reticles are too bright on even the lower settings. The dots work as they should.

My recommendation for anyone in the market, get a nice Matchdot and you will be very pleased.

Changeling
07-22-2013, 06:24 PM
mtnman31, thanks for the reply.
I got the ultra dot 4, for the Mark 1 pistol. I came very close to getting the "Match Dot" but decided since the UL4 had 4 dot sizes I would just see how it worked out. Yours has a "finer" dot size for prescision (awesome)!
These Ultradots are really inovative sighting instruments with the added advantage of really helping those with failing eyes. My eyes are great but, I have no intention of removing the one I have from the Mark I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really need another one right now, however funds are a little on the low side due to other commitments.

Take care.

W.R.Buchanan
07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Now that you guys have put dots sights on your pistols you need to try them on your rifles as well.

I have Red Dots on all of my .223's. All of these guns are good to 300 yards and I have actually hit a man sized target at 400yds with a 40mph Crosswind! 200 yard shots are easy.

With a .22 where shots probably won't exceed 100 yards they are probably the best sight system out there.

As you all have probably figured out they are the fastest way to get on target there is.

Try Bushnell TRS-25's at $90 each. I have 3 so far, and they are that good.

Randy

Changeling
07-27-2013, 05:50 PM
I have a Ruger 1022 that I built myself with a stainless fluted barrel and all the bells and whistles like trigger job, the works. I then put a first class 3x9 variable scope on it. It shoots AWESOME!!
However, the Mark I target pistol as described above will beat it easily with more different brands of bullets than the 10/22 out to about 50 yards (nails ground hogs).
It likes solids more so than HP's.
I'm just telling you this so what I said above can sink in, on just how awesome it shoots, meaning it's beating the Hell out of my target rifles accuracy. Think about it.

bobthenailer
07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I have red dot sights or scopes on most of my handguns as well as red dots on 3 rifles and a air pistol.
my eyes need all the help they can get. now i have to get something to stop the constant shakes ! its hell getting old.

fecmech
07-29-2013, 10:54 AM
now i have to get something to stop the constant shakes ! its hell getting old.
I'm with ya there. I have a heck of a time pulling the trigger with the dot dancing around the 75 yd turkey's and 100 yd rams!

Larry in MT
08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I have a Ultra Dot / Target Dot on my 1974 Ruger Standard. I was surprised how accurate it was. Mine is mounted with the old SO-LO mounts and makes a neat outfit.

Finally found some 22 ammo, so celebrated by running some thru the Ruger yesterday.

JWFilips
08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to post a photo of one of these ultra dots on a Mark I standard. Now that I'm 60, open sights are not as promising as thy used to be and I'm starting to rethink my stand on "pistols don't need scopes" I may enjoy them better

rbuck351
08-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Quite some time back (about 1975) I mounted a Busnell Phantom on a MKI T. The bullet just hits where the x is. While searching yard sales a few years ago, I found a C-More systems holographic sight in a box of gun stuff for $10. I mounted it on a Browning Buckmark and although not as accurate as the Ruger, it does make hitting things very fast and easy. Both the scope and the dot make hitting things possible for my 65 year old eyes. My pistols didn't use to need scopes or dots either but they do now.

ktw
08-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to post a photo of one of these ultra dots on a Mark I standard.

Mk I Bull Barrel, Matchdot in SOLO mount.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/mki-a.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/ktwna/media/mki-a.jpg.html)

While the pistol is a fantastic shooter with the Matchdot, I ended up taking it off. The MK I's purpose is a practice substitute for the centerfire guns, all of which sport iron sights, and I feel it serves that purpose better with iron sights.

The Matchdot is currently mounted on a Contender Carbine over an 18" 22lr barrel. This is my truck gun whose primary use is beaver nuisance control at work, much of which occurs after dark. I find the Matchdot more useful than iron sight or scopes in very low light conditions.

Only have the one red dot. I have been very satisfied with it and could probably find uses for a couple more.

Changeling
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi Ktw, I just noticed that the safety on your Mark I is in the "fire position". I thought you might have taken it out for a picture, but figured I had better say something, safety is a big thing with me.