PDA

View Full Version : Broke in the new mould today

country gent
07-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Made the first run of bullets with the Brooks adjustable mold. Its came up and was great casting. I cleaned it good and preheated it on the pot at 750 degrees ( as Steve recomended) only had 5 throw aways before good bullets.
Ran 50 bullets ea from 340 grns to 550 grns then another 50 at 585 grns, all the way open. This was with 20-1 alloy. I can now put a chart in my notebook as to length / wieght and set 35 grn increments accuratly from the get go by length. I then set it back to 500 grns and ran another 100 or so. Got 300 bullets today Haven done alot with them yet but will soon.The mould is heavier and wears me out a little faster. LOL. It is a copy of the BACO swaged bullets maube a little "pointier" flat point is only .100 in dia. I put 100 lbs of 20-1 in the pot today was 30 or so in it from last time and we only lowered the level about 3 " so a long ways to go there. I also have some 40-1 to try when I get a smaller pot.

6.5 mike
07-21-2013, 02:30 PM
It is always fun playing with a new toy. Have read nothing but good about Brook's molds.

Don McDowell
07-22-2013, 12:16 AM
The really neat thing about those adjustable mould blocks, you can adjust the length to get just exactly the right bullet for your rifle.

country gent
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM
I like to test / experiment and the adjustables allow that easier than buying seperate moulds. This is my first custom mould and I really enjoyed working with it yesterday. Im not real sure how bad my shoulder wants to shoot that batch of 590 grn bullets in the 45-90 though. Im thinking the 450 grn group may make an interesting short to mid range bullet though. Im going to cast some up in 40-1 as soon as I get a smaller pot to work with. Since this is a paper patch mold I may even give pure lead a try. I had a friend open up a lee push thru sizer to .441 and the bullets are just brightened when ran thru it. I have been using the BACO swaged 500 and 550 grn bullets with very good results, this moulds ogive is just a little more pointier than it when I set one in the blocks. SHould make a great all around bullet.

longranger
09-17-2013, 07:16 AM
I have one those for a 40 cal. straight P.P. mold and it cast' beautiful bullets from 330 grs. to 430 grs. as good a mold as any I have ever used.Mr. Brooks was very helpful in getting the right mold for my rifle and that mold is permanently mounted on my Cabin Tree mold handle, heavy but works flawlessly.