PDA

View Full Version : Colt Jam a Real Puzzler -Solved

Silver Jack Hammer
07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
One of my SAA's jammed up at a shooting event and had to be taken off the line of fire. The ejector rod stuck in the rearward position and I couldn't get it to retract. The gun is about 13 years old, I bought it new. One of the more knowledgeable fella's said it was a bend ejector rod. Made sense, I replaced the rod, no change. I cleaned the mechanism, didn't fix the problem. I filed the hole in the frame the ejector rod slides through to remove any burrs, still the same jam.

During one of the many disassemblies and re-assemblies the ejector wouldn't budge from the all the way forward position. Puzzled that the same jam would occur in two different positions, I scratched my head for a while, then came the Ah-Ha epiphany.

The end coil on the spring was bent a little bit. The bent wire spring coil was in the form of kind of an un-wind position and wire stuck between the ejector housing and the ejector knob or handle. A clip of the last coil solved the problem.

Never seen that one before.

9.3X62AL
07-21-2013, 11:10 AM
New to me, too. Thanks for passing that along, I'll (hopefully) retain it in my Store Of Useful Info.