PDA

View Full Version : Gustav rolling block: What does "S" and "H" stamp mean on block and hammer pin

40-82 hiker
07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
My 1871 Karl Gustav rolling block has an "S" stamped in the left end of the block pin, and an "H" stamped in the left end of the hammer pin. What do these mean and are these pins in the correct position if there is some difference. They are both the same size...

Thanks

40-82 hiker
07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
My 1871 Karl Gustav rolling block has an "S" stamped in the left end of the block pin, and an "H" stamped in the left end of the hammer pin. What do these mean and are these pins in the correct position if there is some difference. They are both the same size...

Thanks

Here is a photo

trevj
07-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Hame, IIRC, = H = Hammer.

The S is the breech block pin. Can't recall the word.

While I doubt it makes a lot of difference, they were marked so they would go back where they came from.
Your picture does not show, for me.

Cheers
Trev

40-82 hiker
07-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Hame, IIRC, = H = Hammer.

The S is the breech block pin. Can't recall the word.

While I doubt it makes a lot of difference, they were marked so they would go back where they came from.
Your picture does not show, for me.

Cheers
Trev

Trev,
Thanks for the info. I don't know what I did to the image, but it shows as an attachment to me, but that is not what I intended.
Even though you answered my question already, I'll give another shot at the image.
Good info. Thanks.

Dutchman
07-22-2013, 01:55 AM
S for "slutstycke" (breech block), H for "hane" (hammer).

Carl Gustaf is the correct spelling.

trevj
07-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Ayep. Shows up this time.
edit: Thanks for the correct info, Dutchman. Your great pages on these were part of what convinced me to get one in the first place, and are a good read.

Yeah. I bought one of the Carl G Rollers a while back with intents to make a BPCR out of it. Seemed too nice to tear apart, but 8x58RD brass and dies(esp the dies) are not exactly thick on the ground either.
Still pondering. :)

Cheers
Trev

BCRider
07-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Trev, Tradex Canada is listing 8x58RD brass. Not cheap but then with a rolling block it's not like the brass is thrown out of reach.... :D Actually at $3 a casing it's DARN WELL DEAR! ! ! ! But it's an option to consider.

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/8x58r-brass-Bertram

They don't seem to have the dies though.

Dutchman
07-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Bertrum brass sucks canal water. The body is undersize. These cracked while fire forming. Bertrum was notified of this well over 10 years ago. Don't waste your money.

http://images22.fotki.com/v724/photos/2/28344/157842/DSCF0558y-vi.jpg