PDA

View Full Version : Copper/Brass tube size reccomendations for 9mm jackets

SheepDogAlpha
07-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Hello all, I just got into swaging and I am looking to swage .355 jackets from copper or brass tubing for my 9mm reloads. I have searched around and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to the best tubing sizes to use for my purpose. I know you can resize 9mm brass to work, but I was leaning more towards the tubing route. Thank you in advance.

midnight
07-21-2013, 06:34 AM
I would suggest 3/8 (0.375) refrigeration & AC tubing. It can be had for <$100 for a 100 ft roll including shipping. You will need a die to fold the end over and a draw die to draw it down to about 0.354. The end can be flattened in the core seat die. These jackets will have thick walls, about 0.030 to 0.032 and probably won't expand much at handgun velocities. A notching die would be helpful. BT makes all of the dies needed. BT is making me the same setup using 5/16 tubing for 30 cal bullets & I already have the notching die. I don't have them yet (10-14-13 if the bullet gods smile on me) so I can't report on ease of use or performance yet.

You will also have to cut the tubing to length. I use a HF chop saw. It's dirt cheap. Get a couple 3 paks of extra blades and lube the blade every few cuts. BT and I both have posted pics here of our chop saw setups. If you want to spend $200, Proxxon makes a really fine chop saw that others here use. Remember, swaging bullets is not about saving money, It's about making what you want when you want it. The self sufficiency is what appeals to many of us.

Bob

Randy C
07-21-2013, 07:12 AM
:coffeecom

Cane_man
07-21-2013, 03:11 PM
I would suggest 3/8 (0.375) refrigeration & AC tubing. It can be had for <$100 for a 100 ft roll including shipping. You will need a die to fold the end over and a draw die to draw it down to about 0.354. The end can be flattened in the core seat die. These jackets will have thick walls, about 0.030 to 0.032 and probably won't expand much at handgun velocities. A notching die would be helpful. BT makes all of the dies needed. BT is making me the same setup using 5/16 tubing for 30 call bullets & I already have the notching die. I don't have them yet (10-14-13 if the bullet gods smile on me) so I can't report on ease of use or performance yet.

You will also have to cut the tubing to length. I use a HF chop saw. It's dirt cheap. Get a couple 3 paks of extra blades and lube the blade every few cuts. BT and I both have posted pics here of our chop saw setups. If you want to spend $200, Proxxon makes a really fine chop saw that others here use. Remember, swaging bullets is not about saving money, It's about making what you want when you want it. The self sufficiency is what appeals to many of us.

Bob

for your 30 cal jackets are you using 5/16" soft copper tubing like what can be had at Home Depot?

midnight
07-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I use soft 5/16 refrigeration & AC tubing. You can get it at any of the big box home improvement stores but it is much cheaper online. I can't find the invoice and I don't remember what outfit I bought it from but the last 100' roll I bought was manufactured by Cambridge-Lee Industries and was labeled: 5/16 Ref soft annealed, Alloy type C12200, ASTM - B 280. It cost me $97 with shipping included. I made a draw die using a 3/8 long, 1/2in dia. drill bushing to draw 30 cal Sierra jackets down for 284 bullets. It draws them down to 281 so I'm trying to polish it out to .2825 or 2830. Then I'll make another to draw it down to 276. By changing the punch I should be able to draw down the thicker walled tubing jackets. At least that's the plan. BT hopes to have the 30 cal jacket maker & draw dies done this fall sometime. 284 & 277 jackets are hard to find & I want to make my own.

Bob

SheepDogAlpha
07-25-2013, 01:39 AM
What would be the ideal wall thickness for a .355 copper jacket?

Nickle
07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
I have no clue what ideal is. That said, I just measured my Corbin jackets and they were .012" wall thickness. These jackets are the size for 9mm. Copper tubing jackets will be thicker, we know that. But should still work.

SheepDogAlpha
07-25-2013, 01:24 PM
I just called a company about custome sized

SheepDogAlpha
07-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I just called a company about custom sized tubing. A .355 x .02 tube is like $1.20 a foot. Unfortunately their minimum order is 100lbs. I wonder people would be interested in a group buy..... What you think?