PDA

View Full Version : Need guidance with wheelgun leather.

Adam10mm
07-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Didn't see a subforum for carrying guns, so I figured this was a safe place to post.

I'm saving up for a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum 4 5/8 barrel. Not into CASS, this will be a hunting weapon. I like to track, spot/stalk in the woods.

What holsters are good out there? I've used a few crappy ones but the good ones I used for autoloaders (Glock 30 and 1911) were/are Aker Flatsider holsters. Not really a good revolver holster. The guys that are revolver hunters with iron sighted guns, what leather holster do you use?

ReloaderFred
07-21-2013, 12:49 AM
I would/do use holsters from Bianchi, Safariland and Don Hume Leather Goods. They all make quality holsters that will take a beating and hold up to a lot of hard use.

Hope this helps.

Fred

canyon-ghost
07-21-2013, 02:43 AM
Rudy at Black Hills Leather does a good job of making heavyweight holsters: http://www.bhlstore.com/

Or, should you want it under your coat: http://www.shoulderholster.us/

tek4260
07-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Try a Simply Rugged pancake holster.

mellonhead
07-21-2013, 09:48 AM
For hunting I am a big fan of carrying cross-draw. I have tried many different holsters, but my two favorites are a Simply Rugged Sourdough and a Freedom Arms Cross-draw. The Freedom Arms holster for a model 83 fits a Ruger Blackhawk very nicely. One benefit to the Sourdough is it can be carried cross-draw or strong side. Can't go wrong with either.

Toby

Copper75
07-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Ive found the Triple k makes good, affordable leather.

sigep749
07-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Huge fan of Lobo Gunleather. Have three holsters for my revolvers and love all 3.

onegunred
07-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Mike Barranti has some nice custom leather of all styles. I use strong side draw Keith style on 5.5" and 4.6". A crossdraw for anything longer may be better. I don't carry my 7.5", too long. Never used a shoulder or chest type. Picking a girl friend can be easier than choosing a holster.

450 racer
07-21-2013, 10:51 AM
I have had good luck with hunter holster still use the ones my dad got 30 years ago

Uncle R.
07-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I think you're going to like that Blackhawk .41 - I've long favored my own as a camping and woods walking gun in bear country. It provides serious hitting power in a compact, lightweight package that doesn't make your pants fall down as it rides in a holster.
<
The question (as canyon-ghost noted) is - do you want to carry it open or concealed?
<
For open carry my Blackhawk rides in a Safariland single action holster with a thumbstrap. It's a very cowboy style holster but it rides on my normal through-the-jeans-loops belt and not on a drop-down "buscadero" belt. I don't need cartridge loops or quick-draw tie downs and I don't want a holster that bangs against my leg as I walk or climb. Those "cowboy" holsters are a lot more comfortable and practical for all-day carry when you get rid of the TV western low-riding cartridge belt and I've long doubted that any real working cowboys ever used such a rig.
<
In cool autumn weather my hunting coats leave the bottom of the holster exposed but cover the top of the gun - kind of a half-essed compromise between concealed or exposed. I've often wished for a single action holster with a built-in jacket slot but I've yet to find one, so I've muddled along by tucking my jacket behind the grip. It makes my jacket bunch up on that side but I did it in order to keep the gun fully exposed and legal for open carry.
<
Now that WI finally has CCW permits if I determined to carry my Blackhawk concealed a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster would probably be my choice. I've used them many times and I like 'em a lot. In my experience they can make a 6" square butt K-frame .357 or a full-sized 1911 disappear under a light jacket - I'm confident they could do the same for a Blackhawk. They're pretty comfortable and I like that they carry the gun with the muzzle down instead of pointed at whoever is following you on the trail.
<
Uncle R.

Adam10mm
07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I was looking at the Triple K website before I started my thread. I wear one of their "Money" belts as my everyday belt and was smart to buy a pair at once when I first started carrying a gun in 2005.

That Simply Rugged holster looks just about what I'm looking for. I'd like a Western/Cowboy type fancy gun rig some day, but I simply can't afford one right now.

I've tried crossdraw with autoloaders before and it's just such an unnatural movement to draw, that I swore it off completely. Strong side is what I like and is what is most natural for me, so I'd like to stick with that.

I'll look at the other options people have posted. I like hearing what others are using in the real world.

Rick R
07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Try a Simply Rugged pancake holster.

+1 I'm very satisfied with the Simply Rugged pancake I bought for my 4" Redhawk, so much so that I'm saving my lunch money for one to fit my 4 5/8" SBH. AND a set of Chesty Puller straps for hunting carry.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

Adam10mm
07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I think you're going to like that Blackhawk .41 - I've long favored my own as a camping and woods walking gun in bear country. It provides serious hitting power in a compact, lightweight package that doesn't make your pants fall down as it rides in a holster.
I've always liked the "just outside the box" cartridges like 10mm, .358 Win, .41 Mag. I've had a 10mm for several years and am now going to mark a .41 Magnum off the list soon.

The question (as canyon-ghost noted) is - do you want to carry it open or concealed?
This will be open carry only strictly as a hunting weapon for small game, grouse, and deer. But won't hesitate to smoke a coyote with it if in range.

For open carry my Blackhawk rides in a Safariland single action holster with a thumbstrap. It's a very cowboy style holster but it rides on my normal through-the-jeans-loops belt and not on a drop-down "buscadero" belt. I don't need cartridge loops or quick-draw tie downs and I don't want a holster that bangs against my leg as I walk or climb. Those "cowboy" holsters are a lot more comfortable and practical for all-day carry when you get rid of the TV western low-riding cartridge belt and I've long doubted that any real working cowboys ever used such a rig.
From what I've read in historic books and seen from actual pictures, real working cowboys never carried handguns on horseback on the range and maybe just around the campfire at night. It was usually in a saddlebag and their rifle was their #1. Open range you can see far enough to where your rifle is primary protection and hardly got close enough where the best and first option was your handgun. They would wear their handguns in town. On horseback they'd get their ribs beat to snot if they wore them all day long. A lot of what we think is just Hollywood drama.

For concealed carry, I have a 1911. This revolver will be a hunting only gun. Drive 7 miles to my inlaw's 140acre farm and go hunting. No need for concealment.

imashooter2
07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
For a woods holster, I wouldn't want a pancake. You are going to be very active and will be far more comfortable with the gun a bit farther from the body and a lower ride.

This is nice:
http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/The-Outdoorsman-Flap.cfm?item_id=340&parent=669

And this if you want an open top:
http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Cattleman-a-great-rig-for-gals-.cfm?item_id=156&parent=669

Adam10mm
07-21-2013, 11:23 AM
+1 I'm very satisfied with the Simply Rugged pancake I bought for my 4" Redhawk, so much so that I'm saving my lunch money for one to fit my 4 5/8" SBH. AND a set of Chesty Puller straps for hunting carry.

Yeah, I was looking at the Chesty Puller straps. Seems kind of a neat idea in some respects. I'm not one for shoulder holsters, but it would be interesting to see how comfortable that is. When I'm walking through the woods, my hands are usually in front moving branches out of my way, so it would be quicker access. Wearing it up like that would also mean I could still carry my 1911 for additional wolf protection. There's a couple/few packs around here where I hunt and I'm not good enough to trust 6 rounds panicked. That situation I'd pull my 10mm 1911 and know that I have two backup mags in case stuff gets real hairy. Going from 1911 to SA revolver is a whole different manual of arms.

Adam10mm
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
We need a holster rental forum here! I hate having a box full of holsters to resell and losing money on them.

SteveUSP
07-21-2013, 12:52 PM
76728 This is a Galco for my S&W 586. Comfortable and secure.

Jupiter7
07-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Another big +1 for www.simplyrugged.com. Holster can be warn different ways with accessories. I carry strongside during warmer and swap up to the chesty puller for winter hunting. I'll order a sourdough pancake for my new 4 5/8th blackhawk soon. oxblood with matching cartridge belt slide.

Para82
07-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Freakshow10MM, I can recommend Simply Rugged holsters also. I currently own three of Rob's holsters-one for a S&W 637,one for a Ruger SP101 357mag, and one for a Glock20 10MM. I am getting ready to order a fourth one for a Ruger Lipsey's SBH 44mag with a 3 3/4 in barrel.I find them to carry very well and also have good retention and to tuck in tight for good concealment. hope this helps you out.
Para82

Char-Gar
07-21-2013, 03:17 PM
For an outdoorsman's holster, he can do no better than Simply Rugged. High quality materials, top notch workmanship, no nonsense design, reasonable prices, fast deliver and run by one of the finest gents around who stands behind his products.

Outpost75
07-21-2013, 03:45 PM
For my 4-5/8" .45 Blackhawk and 5-1/2" .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk I use the same holster for field work that I do for concealed carry, the El Paso Saddlery Covert Force or C-Force holster.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-21-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx

This is an inside waistband with reinforced opening which permits one-handed re-holstering. The gun is held close to the body with the grip presented in a natural forward cant position, but with the trigger guard covered, to enforce proper grip position and finger index. This model is very comfortable to wear in the car and pivots with your body movements, and is securely attached to the belt.

I use this model holster and mode of carry for all of my using handguns. I find that using the same type of holster for both field and personal protection use makes more sense than worrying about where the gun is if you have different holsters...."gee I'm carrying a wheelgun today, so that means IWB strong side..."

The C-Force works equally well for large or small single-action and DA revolvers, as well as either large duty type or small covert carry backup autoloaders. The holster is affordable ($78), and well made in USA.

In my part of the country they sell alot of these to game wardens and rural sheriff's deputies. I admired the rig carried by the game officer checking my license years ago and decided to get the same holster for my revolvers that he was using on his 5-1/2" .44 Magnum carry piece. I then took all of my other holsters and dumped them onto the table at the next gunshow to avoid any confusion or distraction. The best thing I ever did.

So, yes, you CAN conceal a big enough gun, comfortably.

Treetop
07-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Nice website, Rick. Thanks for sharing it. Being a Marine, I was immediately drawn to the name "Chesty Puller" and had to look up the "Chesty Puller Conversion System". What a great idea for hunting or working while carrying a heavy caliber handgun. Tt.

Changeling
07-21-2013, 03:59 PM
In regard to your specific question, I went through this same ordeal of looking.

The best (best price also) was for "GALCO 1919WC SA0166". This was for a 5 1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk .45.
It is a cross draw model that is very comfortable driving, walking,whatever and is definitely heavy duty.
Check them out before you buy, I highly recommend. They answered all my questions in a timely manner.:bigsmyl2:

redneckdan
07-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Give freedom475 a holler. We'd makes a nice chest holster. I have one for that 4 5/8 flat top I picked up a couple years back. It is my go to holster/ pistol combination for anything woods related.

I may be over that way next weekend. If so i will bring the rig along so you can try it out.

Rick R
07-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Treetop,

The gent who runs Simply Rugged is easy to talk to and seems to have a pretty dedicated following.

For my 4-5/8" .45 Blackhawk and 5-1/2" .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk I use the same holster for field work that I do for concealed carry, the El Paso Saddlery Covert Force or C-Force holster.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-21-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx

So, yes, you CAN conceal a big enough gun, comfortably.

I've used a Davis IWB holster for my 1911 since the early 80's. I'd given up on finding something similiar for my large DA revolvers. Thanks for the link.