PDA

View Full Version : Seating cast below neck???

abunaitoo
07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
I've been playing with a cast load for my MAS49/56.
Seems to like heavy 210gr boolets (Ly314299) more than light 165gr.
Loaded to cycle reliably.
Both shoot great at 50yds. At 100yds the 165gr is all over the paper.
Problem is when I seat the heavy boolets to the neck, they won't feed from the mag.
The 165gr feeds without a problem.
I was thinking of trying to seat the 210gr, without a gas check, so it would feed. In place of the check, I'd use a dacron filler to protect the base.

Anyone have experience with this????

Outpost75
07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
When GC is below neck gas cutting may damage base shank ahead of the GC where the bullet is exposed. You might try instead Lee. 312-155-2R or one of the clones from Accurate, NOE or Heavy Metal. Have not measured chamber cast from French 7.5, but if "generous" in diameters, able to accept "fat" nose, look at current group buys.

Wayne S
07-20-2013, 11:43 PM
The 311299 is the best performer in my M1A, to fit in the mag. the GC is well below the neck /body junction. Are you bullets sized .0005 to .001 over the throat Dia. of your rifle ??

abunaitoo
07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Loaded some up last night, for range today.
No gas check. Dacron filler. IMR4895. 4 different loads.
Seated to the same O/A length as with 160gr boolets.
I've not had good results with G/C boolets, without checks.
Leading and not as accurate.
These 314299 cast out at .314. Amazing. I got lucky.
The .312 160gr shoot great at 50yds. 100yds is all over the place.
With the 314299 seated out, and checked, 2" to 3" at 100yds.
O/A length just to long to feed through the mag.
Wish me luck.

swheeler
07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
good luck

Larry Gibson
07-23-2013, 11:25 PM
No gas check is the problem............100yds is all over the place is most often the result............

As mentioned; "good luck"........otherwise use GCs.

Larry Gibson

abunaitoo
07-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Didn't work.
50yds all over.
BUT!!!!
I might have made a mistake.
The load I used, started at one grain less than when the boolet was seated out.
Forgot about the boolet base taking up space in the case.
I might have been pushing it to fast.
I'll adjust the powder charge and try again.

Anyone shoot cast in a AR ?????
Is a different powder used????
If same powder, how much less powder????

Argentino
07-27-2013, 11:58 AM
In his excellent reloading book, Philip Sharpe advices against seating gas checked bullets below the neck; according to this, a GC may get loose when passing through the neck either when seating the bullet or when the bullet starts its travel down the bore. The risk associated to this could be a GC either falling over the powder charge inside the case or left in the bore right in front of the next bullet to be shot. Please take this just as a comment on what I have read.

nekshot
07-27-2013, 03:26 PM
I never read or recall reading in lymans cast book of the dangers of boolits seated below the neck. I figure they shot more than I or my kin will shoot and if they don't have issue with it or make caution of it than it is no concern of mine. I get more concerned of "my" gas checks possibly falling off than any thing else. I am glueing some on now. My 7mmag has more boolit sticking down into case cavity than showing!

bikerbeans
07-27-2013, 04:39 PM
IF the burning powder has enough force to expel a boolit at supersonic velocity I don't think there is any chance a gas check with it's tiny mass would be left inside the bore of a rifle.

BB

madsenshooter
07-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Back in Sharp's day, he was talking of checks that didn't crimp on, the old Lyman variety. He meant maybe it'd fall off before firing, and could get wedged in the case somehow, perhaps between bullet and case, for example. When seating below the neck, I'm more worried about the lube melting and spoiling the powder, or ball powders getting into the lube grooves and raising pressures.

abunaitoo
07-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Just as bad as before.
I lowered the powder charge to just eject the shell, and not lock the bolt back.
Didn't help at all.
Deep seating is just not working.
I'll have to go back and try shorter/lighter boolets, with slower powders.

Wayne S
07-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Just as bad as before.
I lowered the powder charge to just eject the shell, and not lock the bolt back.
Didn't help at all.
Deep seating is just not working.
I'll have to go back and try shorter/lighter boolets, with slower powders.
What is the twist in the bbl. ?
What are you sizing your bullets to ?
Any guess at the BHN of of your alloy ?
Have you slugged the throat of this weapon for proper bullet sizing ?

ell198679
07-31-2013, 10:03 PM
In his excellent reloading book, Philip Sharpe advices against seating gas checked bullets below the neck; according to this, a GC may get loose when passing through the neck either when seating the bullet or when the bullet starts its travel down the bore. The risk associated to this could be a GC either falling over the powder charge inside the case or left in the bore right in front of the next bullet to be shot. Please take this just as a comment on what I have read.

What would be the result from this?? I was always curious if this would cause a KABOOM? I guess it would depend on luck and if the gc sealed the neck of the case huh? Sorry if I am off topic.