PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Database

archmaker
07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
So for fun and because I am tired of my reloads being here and there, I am working on building myself a reloading database, mold catalog, inventory system. Using LAMP to do it and I now have a dedicated server to host it on (Raspberry Pi).

Here is what I am keeping track of:

Reloads (Bullet, powder, primer, etc. everything you would expect to see if you needed to duplicate the load)
Weapons (List of the weapons I have, and serial number, caliber, and description or comment)
Boolits (What I currently have to cast for or for my 270 the J-bullets that I currently have)
Inventory (Right now it is just, primers, powder, loaded rounds). This one keeps track of all adds and deletes, so if you put in 200rd on 1-1-1999, and you shot a 100rd on 12-12-2012, it would show 100rds in inventory, but the database still has the entry for the orginal 200 less the 100 taken out.

Thinking I want to expand the Reloads list to include the results of when I go to the range (avg velocity, std dev, avg group size, etc)

If you were going to track items, what would you track?

hporter
07-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Your choice of using the Raspberry Pi and LAMP looks like a project and a challenge in and of itself! I had to google what a Raspberry Pi was. Very interesting concept. I have played with MAMP, so I have some knowledge of what LAMP is.

I use Filemaker for my reloading database. I have implemented most of the items you have listed, the only thing I see missing is a mold inventory table. Once you collect over a certain number of molds, it is easy to forget which ones you have, and which ones still need to be collected....

My current project is to build a table for the results of each range trip. I do record whether a particular reload shoots well or not. But that is subjective when you have multiple firearms that shoot the same caliber. I need to be more specific about which firearm I shot the load in, and then record the particulars.

My favorite use of my database is to print out 2" x 4" labels with my load data on it; to affix to my load boxes. The label contains all of the important information about the components of the load, and the date I loaded it. In the past it was too easy to load several hundred rounds, throw them in an ammo box with the intent of shooting the next day - and then several months later you find those rounds and wonder what the load was. So I make it a point after each loading session to sit down to my computer and enter the items loaded and record the particulars and print the labels.

The only other thing I have done with my database is to put a look up table for the Lee Powder Disks. I have it configured so that after I select the desired powder and charge weight, it displays the required cc of that powder to give me a starting point for setting up the Auto Disk powder measure. Of course the listed Lee settings are always a bit low, but it does provide useful information if you use the Lee powder measures.

Good luck with your project. You have peaked my curiosity with the Raspberry Pi, I might have to buy one to play with too.

No_1
07-21-2013, 08:35 AM
I have built a simply database using excel that I share with my Dad and brothers. In addition to the things you have indicated I track testing date/time/temperature/sky condition plus all chrony data.

alleyoop
07-21-2013, 08:39 AM
working on something like that my self, consolidating manuals in one place as well Using Paradox 7 very early stage right now.

grumman581
07-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Personally, I think that using a relational database is a bit overkill for the small amount of data that you would have in this database. But then again, I'm an old fart who can remember writing utilities in assembly language and trying to squeeze the code into a single floppy disk sector (512 bytes). Considering how small the amount of data is likely to be, you would still be able to get acceptable performance designing it around flat files.

As far as what else to track... Beers per casting or reloading session?

archmaker
07-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Some things that I will add to my project. I found the best way for me to stay sharp on my LAMP/programming skill is to have a project that requires me to use it. My degree is in accounting, self taught on computers, I am better at breaking into them then fixing them (been a 'professional' hacker for over 20 years - Will be at Defcon again in a few weeks).

Yeah the raspberry pi is pretty cool, the speed for what i am doing is also good, and I just set it up, and got it working then leave it alone, from now on I just use SSH to access it. Did play around with it on the TV (60") and keyboad to get ssh up and working as i wanted it, but other than that was simple to setup and get work. Cost was less than $70 shipped to my door, and that included the Case (not needed, but nice to have $14) the Pi, and a 8gig SD card (about $12). Means I have a small form computer for about $46.

There is a presentation at DefCon this year that looks like someone bought a bunch of these PI or similiar devices to build large hacking platform. You should also look at the GumStix also, lot more money, but still pretty cool.