PDA

View Full Version : Help with proper wads and loads for 16 ga brass shotshells

smoked turkey
07-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I am coming to the shotshell experts for this one. I have ordered the 2.5" 16 ga casings made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company. I am wanting to work up some light smokeless loads in the RMCC cases using traditional OP, 1/2" fiber wad, and finish off with a OS card. This would be followed by using a glue for the top wad such as waterglass. My shot loads would be 1/2, 3/4, and 1 oz. I have searched the web as well as loading books looking for smokeless powder loads in brass cases especially the RMCC cases. So far nothing found. I suppose the RMCC brass hulls are internally similar enough to some particular plastic hull. If I knew which one I would have some information I could start with. Thanks for any insight anyone can give for this application.

I have edited the original post since I received answers to some of my questions already. So I am making some progress! Thanks.

wildlew
07-21-2013, 01:31 AM
yes they use paper or plastic wads.

No the brass Shotshell manuel only has Black powder loads for the other bass hulls
You can use any load data for the RMC hulls

Dont try to resize these hulls dont ask me how I Know:sad:

elk hunter
07-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Brass shotshells require larger diameter wads as the cases are thinner than plastic or paper cases. For 16 gauge you will need either 14 or 15 gauge wads, they are available from "Circle Fly Shotgun Wads" Phone # (812) 537-3584.

Smokeless powder loads for brass cases are hard to find, I do have a few pressure tested loads from another source that I will share. All of these loads use a Winchester 209 primer, one over powder nitro card wad, 2 fiber cushion wads and an over shot wad.

1 oz shot, 28 grains of IMR4756, 1178 fps, 5780 psi

1 oz shot, 30 grains IMR4756, 1238 fps, 6440 psi

1 oz shot, 32 grains IMR4756, 1328 fps, 7440 psi

1 1/8 oz shot, 28 grains IMR4756, 1148 fps, 6320 psi

1 1/8 oz shot, 32 grains IMR4756 1325 fps, 9620 psi

As I stated these loads are from another source and are purported to have been pressure tested by Tom Tom Armbruster of Ballistic Research Inc. phone (815) 385-0037. I haven't used any of the above loads so I can't say if they are safe or work well. You're on your own if you choose to use them.

smoked turkey
07-23-2013, 10:58 PM
elk hunter thanks for the info. I understand that I need to do some further research but it is a place to start.

wildlew thanks for the info on the RMC brass. When I ordered the 2.5" 16 ga hulls from those folks I inquired about loading info and received generally the same answer from Cody there at RMC. He said pretty much any smokeless load would work in their cases. I am interested in keeping the pressure about the same as recorded for plastic cases. I figure the weak link in the chain is probably not the brass, but the old double barrel shotgun I will be using!

excess650 I will try to follow the wad sizing you have advocated. I did plan on using 1/2" cushion wads over the OP wad, but I will try cutting in in half just to see what effect it has on the pattern. Good idea.

I am giving Circlefly a call tomorrow to order the three different wads I will need. I have some of their stuff for my 12 & 28 gauge muzzleloaders. I think they might be able to also give me some loading suggestions. Thanks for the help.

wildlew
07-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Smoked Turkey how long did they tell the wait was for you brass cases?

wildlew
07-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Elk Hunter the RMC hulls are made for wads of that gauge, paper or plastic. The side walls are thick.
Any straight walled data should work as long as you are not trying to put a 3'' load in a 2 1/2'' hull.

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index.htm

smoked turkey
07-24-2013, 12:49 AM
wildlew they said 4 to 5 weeks backlog. Hoping some sooner, but until I get the wads and some loads figured out I guess I can't use them anyway. You seem to be somewhat knowledgeable about the brass hulls. So I hope I am on the right track with using smokeless powder in them. They look real classy and I don't plan to shoot it lots. I just enjoy the process of loading and shooting. I plan to use a light load for squirrel hunting mainly. Just want to use my double barrel. It is in good shape so I don't expect any problems with it. Yes they told me the wads were same as regular 16 gauge. That was one of the reasons I decided to spring for the RMC brass hulls. I also read that on Circlefly web site. Thanks for your help.