PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI Lube Sizer?

Just Duke
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Anyone ever use a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI Lube Sizer? I'm window shopping. ;)

This group buy is for the Ballisti-Cast Mark VI Lube Sizer. The cut off for the buy is 10 orders and that is also when it will go to production. I can produce it much more efficiently building and shipping 10 machines at a time and thus give you a better price. Compare the prices to the fully loaded Magma Star ($703.95) or the base model ($297.50). Ballisti-Cast, Star, or Lathesmith size dies all work equally well with the machine.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk7m1_G6wmE

Prices:

Fully Loaded Mark VI (all of the following options)............$560
Air Pressure Regulator
Digitally Thermostatic Controlled Base Heater
Rotary Feed Wheel
Feed Tube Holder
Feed Tube
Sizing Die
Punch
Secondary Lube Tube Heater
Speed Handle

Base Model Mark VI (with the following options)............$300
Air Pressure Regulator
Punch
Speed Handle

Shipping to the lower 48 states............$25
Shipping anywhere else please contact me for a rate.

To place an order please email (sales@ballisti-cast.com) or PM me with the following information:

Name and shipping address
Email address
Base/Fully Loaded Model
Caliber(s) to be set up for

I will email out invoices when 10 orders are reached and you will be able to pay at that time. Accepted payment methods are PayPal, Credit Card, or Check

ssnow
07-21-2013, 02:42 AM
I recently bought one used, but in very good condition. At the last update from Ballisti-Cast, they are probably out until September.....so you have time to do all the window shopping you want.

Do you have any specific questions about the machine?

I would like for this post to be informative and helpful to you. Comparisons help in that regard. But they are sometimes difficult on a forum. For example, I could explain why my Dillon is better than the Hornady, but that does nothing but honk off the red team. Then when I point out an advantage of the Hornady, the blue team is seeing red :) Sometimes you just can't win :)

So, I'll share my thoughts on the subject, leaving you to decide what is fact, what is opinion, and whether or not either have any value to you.

My first handicap in making a comparison, is that I don't own a Star, and have never used one. I've seen the videos, photos, and schematics, but have not used one myself.

I am on the waiting list to buy one of these Ballisti-Cast sizers. But production is still out some time, so I started looking for a Star. During my search for a Star, this Ballisti-Cast sizer became available to me, so I bought it.

It's a good machine, and I really have no complaints with it at all.

There is a learning curve one must go through when learning to set up punch depth, air pressure, and temperature. This is true for either machine. In my case, I'm learning it on the Ballisti-Cast, many of you have already been there with the Star.

This is one area where I would definitely give the advantage to the BC. The sizer die is very easy and quick to install or remove. If you will notice the feed wheel in the picture you have posted, you will see that it has a bolt through the center that holds it in place. If you remove this bolt and feed wheel, then the sizer die simply drops into position. Very quick and simple.

The punch is easy to see and reach, so the adjustments are simple and easy to make.

It has a long handle compared to the Star, so there is more leverage built into the machine. It sizes the bullets very easily. I'm very pleased with the machine.

All in all, a quality machine at a good price, easy to operate and adjust. It's definitely a winner.

Let's talk about bullet feeding for a moment. If you will take a look at the feed wheel again, you will see that it is a round plate with holes drilled through it, but that's all it is. It has no mechanical linkages to turn it. It is manually operated. The bullets fall through the tube into the wheel, and you manually rotate the wheel to the point where a bullet falls into the sizing die.

Now, there is nothing "wrong" with this, it works just fine and can be done very quickly. But I wouldn't want you to buy the machine thinking that it auto-indexed, because it does not.

Obviously a collator would speed up any sizer. It would speed up this one also, but you would still have to manually rotate the wheel with each bullet.

So the Star with a bullet feeder has an advantage here, particularly if you are considering automating the unit.

My conclusions; In general, the BC is easier to set-up and operate. If you are not going to use a collator and bullet feeder, then the advantage goes to Ballisti-Cast. If you are going to buy a bullet feeder and collator, then advantage to the Star. If you are going to automate, advantage Star. It's really just a matter of where the individual places his highest priority, they are both good machines.

6bg6ga
07-21-2013, 06:43 AM
I recently bought one used, but in very good condition. At the last update from Ballisti-Cast, they are probably out until September.....so you have time to do all the window shopping you want.

Do you have any specific questions about the machine?

I would like for this post to be informative and helpful to you. Comparisons help in that regard. But they are sometimes difficult on a forum. For example, I could explain why my Dillon is better than the Hornady, but that does nothing but honk off the red team. Then when I point out an advantage of the Hornady, the blue team is seeing red :) Sometimes you just can't win :)

So, I'll share my thoughts on the subject, leaving you to decide what is fact, what is opinion, and whether or not either have any value to you.

My first handicap in making a comparison, is that I don't own a Star, and have never used one. I've seen the videos, photos, and schematics, but have not used one myself.

I am on the waiting list to buy one of these Ballisti-Cast sizers. But production is still out some time, so I started looking for a Star. During my search for a Star, this Ballisti-Cast sizer became available to me, so I bought it.

It's a good machine, and I really have no complaints with it at all.

There is a learning curve one must go through when learning to set up punch depth, air pressure, and temperature. This is true for either machine. In my case, I'm learning it on the Ballisti-Cast, many of you have already been there with the Star.

This is one area where I would definitely give the advantage to the BC. The sizer die is very easy and quick to install or remove. If you will notice the feed wheel in the picture you have posted, you will see that it has a bolt through the center that holds it in place. If you remove this bolt and feed wheel, then the sizer die simply drops into position. Very quick and simple.

The punch is easy to see and reach, so the adjustments are simple and easy to make.

It has a long handle compared to the Star, so there is more leverage built into the machine. It sizes the bullets very easily. I'm very pleased with the machine.

All in all, a quality machine at a good price, easy to operate and adjust. It's definitely a winner.

Let's talk about bullet feeding for a moment. If you will take a look at the feed wheel again, you will see that it is a round plate with holes drilled through it, but that's all it is. It has no mechanical linkages to turn it. It is manually operated. The bullets fall through the tube into the wheel, and you manually rotate the wheel to the point where a bullet falls into the sizing die.

Now, there is nothing "wrong" with this, it works just fine and can be done very quickly. But I wouldn't want you to buy the machine thinking that it auto-indexed, because it does not.

Obviously a collator would speed up any sizer. It would speed up this one also, but you would still have to manually rotate the wheel with each bullet.

So the Star with a bullet feeder has an advantage here, particularly if you are considering automating the unit.

My conclusions; In general, the BC is easier to set-up and operate. If you are not going to use a collator and bullet feeder, then the advantage goes to Ballisti-Cast. If you are going to buy a bullet feeder and collator, then advantage to the Star. If you are going to automate, advantage Star. It's really just a matter of where the individual places his highest priority, they are both good machines.

I couldn't have said it any better than ssnow has. He is 100% accurate in his observations and conclusions.

I wouldn't put it past the guys at Ballisti-Cast to possibly come up with some tweeks for the Mark VI in the future. The Mark VI is a wonderful machine and as I have put it in the past the only possible upgrades I would do to it would be the addition of a modification to the feeder for a detent when the wheel is turned to give you that absolute feel of having 100% alignment.

The Mark VI is easier to dial in to make that perfectly lubed bullet the first time. The Magma when fitted with the bullet feeder is a pain to adjust and unless you go to the trouble to make custom punches it simply won't do it without some fooling around with the depth.
Now, both are good machines. My hat however still goes off to the Mark VI because of its ability to size and lube oversized bullets that will have you wondering if other sizers will stay together.

Now, not trying to excite or stir up a hornets nest here so there is no need for attitude. Just my comments based on owning both machines.

In conclusion here.... I would have to say that good things are coming from the boys at Ballisti-Cast and its just the beginning. If I were to offer any advice here it would be to wait, buy once and buy right. And....its worth the wait.

6bg6ga
07-21-2013, 06:45 AM

The Mark VI fitted with a turret feeder.

I will add that once you get onto the bullet feeder its quite nice and very fast to operate. Its also simple to change calibers as the die change is very fast and the feed wheel comes out quickly as does the feeder tube. Its just an all around good machine thats user friendly.