PDA

View Full Version : m1 30carb HELP

Littlewolf
07-20-2013, 02:15 PM
y'all I find I need intell on how to load 30carbine ammo. Its a new caliber to me and the listed 4227 charge holds the boolit at the mouth of the case but all I know about regular rifle ammo its not making ammo in the carbine, the only thing I can think is that it gets deprimed and flared Rep rimed charged seat the boolit then size/ compress the brass around the powder charge and boolit.
What makes me think this is after taking apart an older factory made round the powder was compressed into a pellet. Otherwise I'm danged confused
pm me with step by step please
Btw the dies I have are Texan brand and the die that is stamped as the sizer has no plug the decapper the ball on it flares like an m-die, the seater die and sizer die take a lot of force to run the brass in even when well lubed

runfiverun
07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
just treat it like a long 9m round.
look around for what works on that, and just apply it to the carbine round.

GT27
07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
What runfiverun stated...

jimb16
07-20-2013, 06:57 PM
What charge are you using?

dale2242
07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Like R5R says 30 carbine loads like any straight walled case.
You have your 3 dies set.
First full length size with the sizer die.
Decap and flare the case mouth slightly with the decapping die. Start with the die backed up in the press so that it doesn`t touch the case with the handle at full stroke. Slowly screw the die in, tryng to see how much flare you are getting on the case, until the bullet will seat without scraping lead from the boolit .
Prime the case and load your powder.
Seat your bullet to the proper depth with the seating die backed up enough to not crimp the case.
Back the seating stem up so you will put enough crimp on the case to remove the flare. Adjust you seating stem down to touch the boolit with the press handle at full stroke. You should now be able to seat and crimp at the same time.
I hope I explained it clearly enough.
BTW, powder does not have to be compressed to work well....dale

WILCO
07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
I find I need intell on how to load 30carbine ammo. Its a new caliber to me.

Stop and go back to square one. Get a reloading manual, study up on the cartidge itself. The .30 carbine is a straight forward cartridge to reload for. LEE carbide dies make life easy.

WILCO
07-22-2013, 08:36 PM
This link should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COWOrNkd1KY

HighHook
07-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Very important to TRIM your cases to spec. Like wilco said read up on this cartridge. Great little round!

spfd1903
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
This caliber was the first one I started reloading. Great type to learn the basics. Some brands of brass definetly needed to be trimmed after two firings. Had the best accuracy with either H110 or N110. Loaded a lot of cast boolits sized at. 309. I paid close attention to the Lyman reloading manual for trim to length dimensions and OAL data. Loaded several lots of Hornady hollow points with no feeding issues. Good luck

Littlewolf
07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
thanks guys it was just so weird to me that the size die was not also the decap like my other calibers the decap on the Texan dies was step two with the expander. but I got it figured out and shooting. thanks again all.

MostlyOnThePaper
08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I started having better results when I got a Lyman "M" die for the expanding step. YMMV.

Randy