PDA

View Full Version : lead temp and boolit size?

samwithacolt
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I got into casting a few months ago, great success with slugs and buckshot, but my .312 lee 160gr and my .38-55 molds are dropping undersize. I lapped the .38-55 and stopped the boolits from tumbling.
I am casting on a small gas ring, using an old cooking pot(not cast iron). I can get everything hot enough to get wrinkle free boolits, but will my boolits drop small if I'm not hot enough?

RobS
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes.......they will not fill out the mold properly and be undersized. Get yourself an old cast iron pot from a thrift store as they keep their heat better. Adding tin to the mix will help as it reduces the surface tension of the alloy. What alloy are you working with?

samwithacolt
07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
I forgot about .40, they come out pretty good with straight WW, or WW/range lead. I tried straight WW for the rifle molds, my .312 is barely .310. Fortunately my sks seems to like them, but they tumble out of my .303.
I want a 180 gr mold for the .303, and I'll lap it if it's small. Just wondering if there's an advantage to a fancy store bought electric melting pot!

williamwaco
07-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Here is my testing results:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_Bullet-diameter-vs-temp.htm

bangerjim
07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Just wondering if there's an advantage to a fancy store bought electric melting pot!

In a word.......YES!

I own 3 of them. Two bottom pours and one top dipper. They heat fast, hold temps well, take up very little work space, and are far superior to any home-brew casting set-up. The key is the thermal concentration of the heating element in the pot. You cannot get any "hot plate" to transfer heat that efficiently or rapidly.

Use what ever floats your boat for smelting.....plumber's furnace, gas camp stoves, fryers, pellet stoves, even camp fires.

But invest in at least a LEE 4-20 for casting.

bangerjim

RobS
07-21-2013, 12:25 AM
In a word.......YES!

I own 3 of them. Two bottom pours and one top dipper. They heat fast, hold temps well, take up very little work space, and are far superior to any home-brew casting set-up. The key is the thermal concentration of the heating element in the pot. You cannot get any "hot plate" to transfer heat that efficiently or rapidly.

Use what ever floats your boat for smelting.....plumber's furnace, gas camp stoves, fryers, pellet stoves, even camp fires.

But invest in at least a LEE 4-20 for casting.

bangerjim

+1.....