PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP brass question ........

HiVelocity
07-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Folks,

I just bought a bunch of 1X 45 ACP brass and went through it last night to inspect the quality.

I found about 100 Winchester (Win only HS), that the flash hole was HUGE! There was little, if any, primer pocket to utilize. Has anyone seen this?

I'm guessing (please chime in) that these were extemely hot loads at one time; or that someone used corrosive primers. No, I won't be using them, scrapped.

All the other brass in the bunch, misc H/S brass, were fine and cleaned up nicely.

Thanks,

HV

TXGunNut
07-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Hs...h/s.....?

Why do my caps go to lower case?

35remington
07-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Not uncommon on some of the "cleanfire" brass. The enlarged flash hole was intended to help the somewhat weaker primers ignite the charge. Interestingly, not considered a problem with full powered loads....or they would not have done it.

Use them.

OldManMontgomery
07-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Aren't those 'clean' rounds with the big flash hole set up for small pistol primers? Or am I conflating two different issues?

HiVelocity
07-20-2013, 09:55 PM
H/S = headstamp(s)

No, these particular Winchester cases are "large" primer pockets. The ones I think you're thinking about are the Federal headstamps with small primer pockets. Thanks for the comments. None the less, these 1X cases went into the scrap tub.

HV

dmclark523
07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
You should have given them to me before you chucked them! Loaded and shot plenty that look like this... No issues thus far.

Outpost75
07-20-2013, 10:29 PM
I ran side-by-side velocity and accuracy checks with large primer standard 0.080 flashole, large primer large. .120" flashole, and small primer, standard. 080" flashole, both with H&G68 200SWC and with 230 FN, velocity difference between large and small flashole, and large vs. small primer, everything Winchestervbrand, cases and primers, with 5 grs. Bullseye, difference less than velocity std. deviation of sample. All loads shot 2-1/2" at 50 yards from Converted Marlin 1894 Cowboy rifle with peep sights, about same from S&W 1950 revolver at 25 yards.

Zymurgy50
07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Does it look like the flash holes were drilled out? The cases may have been used for wax or plastic bullets for indoor practice.

Grapeshot
07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Folks,

I just bought a bunch of 1X 45 ACP brass and went through it last night to inspect the quality.

I found about 100 Winchester (Win only HS), that the flash hole was HUGE! There was little, if any, primer pocket to utilize. Has anyone seen this?

I'm guessing (please chime in) that these were extemely hot loads at one time; or that someone used corrosive primers. No, I won't be using them, scrapped.

All the other brass in the bunch, misc H/S brass, were fine and cleaned up nicely.

Thanks,

HV

These are the "Non Toxic" loads Winchester brought out about 10 - 15 years ago, IIRC. At the time I was working at an indoor range and we reloaded for the range using range brass. When I found that the Winchester cases had such large flash holes, I contacted Winchester about the safety of reloading them with standard components. The tech rep told me that it was safe to use any published data and standard large pistol primers. Never had any problems when we loaded and fired them out of any M1911, S&W 625 or M1917 that came through.

offshore44
07-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Nice to know. I've picked up a couple of handfuls and never reloaded them. Might give them a try just for giggles.

Viper225
08-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I have some that I have reloaded before. No issues at all. When I first noticed them, my first thought was someone drilled them out for Wax or Plastic Bullets. Then I figured out what they were.
The ones that are a pain are the small primer cases. I am getting ready to start reloading on a bucket full. I have been trying to decide between inspecting them, and trying to sort them out, or just finding them when the primers don't go in. I think inspecting them might be better than trashing a primer.

Bob

M Hicks
08-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I paused once when I noticed the enlarged primer hole mentioned. I thought about not reloading them but then realized I am way to frugal to just scrap them. I loaded them up like normal and fired away. There is no difference to me in their performance.