PDA

View Full Version : FL sizing 7.62x39?

samwithacolt
07-20-2013, 01:32 AM
I have shot my sks brass 3 or 4 times, and used a lee collet neck sizer. I don't have a full length die.
Will I need to fully size them at some point? Who makes a full length die?

WILCO
07-20-2013, 01:52 AM

If used in a semi-auto rifle, full length sizing is mandatory. If you're using said rifle as a single shot, then neck sizing is okay. Full length dies are standard with every set from multiple manufactuers.

WILCO
07-20-2013, 01:54 AM
I prefer Lee Precision for my reloading needs. Sounds like you may need a reloading manual. Do you have one? And, welcome aboard!!!

res45
07-20-2013, 08:05 AM
For semi-autos,pump and lever guns I FL resize my brass for reliable feed and function each time. In the SKS I use my set of Lee dies,my bother uses a set of RCBS dies on his,both seem to work just fine. I'm up to seven reloading on some of my x 39 brass with no issues.

3 Die Set
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-pacetter-dies-7.62x39r-90565.html

2 Die Set
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-rgb-die-7.62x39-russ-90877.html

samwithacolt
07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I know what the manuals say, I want to know what people are actually doing!
I picked up the collet die 2 die set as that was all the local store had when I got the rifle a couple of years ago. I have been reloading my neck sized brass til now and it works. I will order a FL die and use it on the higher mileage brass. I always neck or partial size when I can get away with it for accuaracy and less working of the brass.

pipehand
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Samwithacolt, I found the lee collet die for the 7.62x39 locally, but have not used it yet. All my previous loads were sized with a Redding die. I believe the fear of using the neck only die with the selfloader, particularly the SKS, is the possibility of a slamfire, or out of battery firing if the shoulder is not bumped back enough.

The only firearm I have in that caliber is a Ruger 77 MK II, but back when I had an SKS, it never occurred to me to NSO.

samwithacolt
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I understand what you mean about the shoulder creeping forward, and the base possibly stretching too. I need to order some other stuff so I'll get a FL too.

WILCO
07-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I have shot my sks brass 3 or 4 times, and used a lee collet neck sizer. I don't have a full length die.

I know what the manuals say, I want to know what people are actually doing!

Reloading manuals are the complete authoritative source for this subject. Your OP is easily answered there within. Working outside the realm of established practices and guidelines isn't advisable and is best attempted by those with more advanced knowledge of the subject.

Blammer
07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
samwithacolt, i would keep doing what your doing, sounds like you're not haveing any issues.

If you start to get fail to feed or the bolt won't close all the way, then you will need to look at full length resizing.

contrary to popular myth it is NOT mandatory to FL resized for a semiauto rifle.

I necksized only for a couple of my semi auto rifles and they work just fine.

samwithacolt
07-21-2013, 11:54 AM
I had some that would'nt properly go into battery yesterday, but they were heavily crimped. I am using a .314 sizer to seat checks, but the bullet is only a big .310.
The check is opening the neck and leaving the bullet loose in the neck, needing the heavy crimp. I think this is bulging the neck enough to cause my problem, nothing to do with sizing. If I order a .311 sizer I'll get a FL die as well. Then I can FL after every few loadings.

WILCO
07-21-2013, 01:18 PM
The check is opening the neck and leaving the bullet loose in the neck, needing the heavy crimp.

Sounds like your neck sizing die is set too deep. Try backing it out some.
It should help.

WILCO
07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
contrary to popular myth it is NOT mandatory to FL resized for a semiauto rifle.

There is a reason why industry standards shouldn't be considered as "Popular" myths.

Just saying.

Blammer
07-22-2013, 08:29 PM
key word is mandatory, it may be necessary for some folks and some rifles and not necessary for other folks and other rifles.

so the point of it not being mandatory, still stands, industry standards or not.

samwithacolt, looks like you got it solved. the correct or closer sizer should do the trick.

Mk42gunner
07-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Sounds to me like you need a .311" boolit sizing die.

Robert

samwithacolt
07-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Sizing die in .311 and a FL sizer on the way.

armoredman
07-25-2013, 11:19 PM
I use a full length sizer, never considered doing anything different. I have brass that has more ejection marks on the rim than I can really count that haven't cracked, torn or stretched. Only thing I ever neck sized for was .303.
Good on samwithacolt!

samwithacolt
07-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Well, funny you should say that! I only have Fl dies for .303!
I partial size the neck, but it still hits the body a little.
Even though I anneal them, I still get the occasional head seperation.

Win94ae
07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
I neck size my lever actions and semi-autos without issue. You will need to full length size sometime down the road, especially if you are shooting hot loads.
I am on my 36th firing with some of my AK cases, with only one full length sizing. When reloading, from time to time, I'll check to see how the case chambers after sizing.

samwithacolt
08-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Just FL sized 50 cases, took way longer than neck sizing. I sized the bullets to .311, they seated easy and look a lot better. Took less factory crimp and the whole cartridge looks better. The FL die did'nt even seem to be hitting the shoulder!(and yes, the shell holder was almost touching the die)

leadman
08-05-2013, 11:28 PM
If the die was not touching the shellholder you may not be back to SAAMI spec yet. This may or may not matter as my SKS has a very generous chamber, yours might also.
What will matter is if the shoulder on the case contacts the front of the chamber before the action is locked. In other words you would have 0 headspace or less. At least .001 to .004" is desirable for most firearms.
You could size a case and then put a piece of tape on the case on the primer end, then feed it into the action with the bolt slowly. If it hesitates or is difficult to lock up you may want to turn the sizing die down a little and try again. When you get the die set lock the ring there so you will always have the correct length (headspace) set on that die for your gun in that press.