PDA

View Full Version : Question about ordering a rifle from the CMP.

Dorado
07-19-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm wanting to order a Garand from the CMP, however I do not understand one of the requirements, proof of Citizenship. It says a copy of birth certificate is acceptable, but I don't have mine, and I'm not about to get a passport just to order a rifle. What else works? They do not accept drivers license or CHL, I'm not a Vet or LEO. What else can I use.

uncle joe
07-19-2013, 10:10 PM
you should be able to get a certified copy of your BC. I bought a garand years ago (about 28) and it was an ordeal. Lots of back and fourth communication (letters and forms). I had to send finger prints, proof of citizenship, applications, MONEY $167 to be exact. I was told when ordering by someone that had done it before to send all correspondence as certified return receipt requested so I would know who got the mail. It finally worked and got my gun at the post office.

Hip's Ax
07-19-2013, 10:50 PM
You would need your birth certificate to get a passport anyway. Get a certified copy of your BC.

Dorado
07-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Where do I go for a certified copy of my BC?

TCLouis
07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Try searching for official web site, but in TN it is Vital Records, part of Department of Health.

I tried a search just now and got a msg that they were down for computer maintenance.

country gent
07-20-2013, 11:20 PM
The state/county you were born in. Contact the records dept and give them the needed information. Its ussually 20-25 dollars for the certifed certificate.

TreeKiller
07-21-2013, 01:32 AM
If you were born in PA and were in the military they are free. 1 chance in 50 odds:-o

fatnhappy
07-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm wanting to order a Garand from the CMP, however I do not understand one of the requirements, proof of Citizenship. It says a copy of birth certificate is acceptable, but I don't have mine, and I'm not about to get a passport just to order a rifle. What else works? They do not accept drivers license or CHL, I'm not a Vet or LEO. What else can I use.

Not to fret Mr. President, contact the agency responsible for vital records in the Country in which you were born. Around here I believe the fee is $17

mtnman31
07-21-2013, 05:38 PM
It will be worth the effort. I was wishy-washy about it myself the first time I ordered one. I couldn't have been happier when that first rifle arrived. I have since purchased a couple more from the CMP. Most recently I got one of the .22LR Kimber M82 rifles. I hand picked the Kimber as I was lucky enough to go to one of their stores. What a bargain! They have great deals on the rifles they sell and although I've never purchased any of their ammo, the prices seem to be very good. When you open your box from the CMP, you won't be disappointed.

Dorado
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Not to fret Mr. President, contact the agency responsible for vital records in the Country in which you were born. Around here I believe the fee is $17

Mr.President????
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or be insulted.

Dorado
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
I'll see about contacting the county here.

Dorado
07-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Looks like it'll be $23 for me.

Nickle
07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
In Vermont, we contact the appropriate town or city clerk for where you were born. So, it might go below county level.

Dorado
07-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Well I got that part figured out and done. Any other tips or things I need to know?

jimb16
07-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah! Cut up your credit card now. Get rid of the telephone so you can't call them. Quit while you are ahead. Soon there will be a new mortgage on the house and you'll be looking for a way to sell the wife and kids so you can buy another rifle!:bigsmyl2::kidding:

TreeKiller
07-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Have the 1 page of the order notarized! If not they will call you and then you have to send that page in.

gmsharps
07-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Just go over the checklist a couple of times to make sure you have everything done. Make sure you include the documentation required like the proof of membership of your CMP affialiated club your proof of markmanship the notorized copy of the form it asks for and a copy of your birth certificate. You will need that eventually anyway. When you get ready to draw social security if it exists then they want to see your birth certificate also. Your social security number is optional but when they do the NICS check if it is not there and your name happens to be John Smith you would probably get a delay. That option is totally up to you. Don't forget to include the payment. Other than that I think you should be good to go. I believe you will be very pleased at the rifle you will receive and the next time it will be a piece of cake to do.

gmsharps

mold maker
07-24-2013, 09:28 AM
If you provide exactly what they ask for, it's a piece of cake. Done it several times and was pleasantly surprised each time.

Dorado
07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
I was looking at getting the service grade H&R for $625. I can't really afford a nicer one. Do you think it's worth it?

Dean D.
07-24-2013, 11:47 PM
I was looking at getting the service grade H&R for $625. I can't really afford a nicer one. Do you think it's worth it?

You bettcha it's a good deal. One thing I've learned about CMP is they WAY understate the condition of the rifles they ship. I ordered my M1 last fall, it's a service grade Springfield Armory on new CMP wood. Muzzle erosion gauges "0" and the Throat erosion gauges "1.5". Not bad for $625 delivered to your door! Here's my lovely rifle at the "unboxing":
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/condercliffjumper/M1/DSCF3911.jpg

mauser1959
07-25-2013, 12:06 AM
not to fret mr. President, contact the agency responsible for vital records in the country in which you were born. Around here i believe the fee is $17

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooo

Dorado
07-25-2013, 01:05 PM
That's a service grade?! Dang thing looks almost new. How does the metal look? and How does it shoot?

Mauser, I'm still a little unsure about the Mr.President part. I think I'll laugh to keep from crying. Can't say that now. I've got my Certificate. So Ha! lol

Dean D.
07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Dorado, the metal looks basically brand new. No wear on the Parkerizing, no dings or gouges. The receiver is 1943 but the barrel is 1955. I assume from an arsenal rebuild after the Korean War. I only received the rifle in Oct. of last year but I have zero'd it and probably shot 300-400 rounds of HXP M2 Ball ammo thru it. It shoots darned well IMO. I haven't measured the groups but say fist to hand size groups at 50 yards off-hand. I'm sure some handloads and familiarization will improve the group sizes.

Another thing to think about ordering from CMP is enbloc clips. They ship the rifle with 1 clip. They sell USGI spec. new enblocs for $20 per 25 clips. I have heard horror stories over on the CMP forum about aftermarket/foreign made enbloc clips so I'm very shy about buying from other sources.

I also purchased a bayonet w/scabbard that is correct to the rifle's age for $65. I was expecting a dinged up worn out relic. What I received was a basically brand new bayonet and scabbard. Another case where CMP out did themselves.

BTW, it is said on the CMP website that if you attach a sticky note to your order with ONE, repeat, ONE, specific request on your rifle they will try to fulfill your request. I.E. I wanted a WWII serial number so I added a sticky to my order asking for that. Bingo, I got it. Others have requested low gauge numbers on the barrel or USGI wood, or CMP wood. You get the idea. It's still not a certain thing they can fill your request but they will try or at least they were doing so last fall.

Good luck with your order and don't forget to share with us what you receive!