PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a top punch

Boyscout
07-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I bought a Lyman #460 top punch to modify to use with a Lee 452-200 SWC by using epoxy and a lubricated bullet to "create" a new top punch. I tried JB Weld but after 24 hours it did not seem to set up hard enough. I tried it on a card just to test it. Would a fast set expoxy or epoxy putty work for this application?

detox
07-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Before doing this mod. Be sure to put a index mark on the top punch. This mark should always face out toward you when sizing. The JB epoxy should have worked if you mixed it correctly 50/50 and it was not contaminated with oil while mixing. How old is your JB? JB also sells a quickset 5 minute version that sets up lots faster.

C.F.Plinker
07-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Can you try Acra-Glas or some other bedding compound?

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I use the modifiable top punches from "theprefessor"
and I use a cheapo 5 minute epoxy that I got from Harborfrieght or a similar cheapo tool store/sale.

John Boy
07-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Would a fast set expoxy or epoxy putty work for this application? Don't waste your time with epoxy ... Hot Glue! While it's warm in the cavity, spit on the nose of the bullet, stick it in and twirl it. Cut excess off with a razor. Your done in about 5 minutes including wait time for the gun to warm up and the glue lasts for a long time.

I use the same trick for seating die cavities

**oneshot**
07-19-2013, 08:57 PM
I've done a few with JB weld. It sets in a few minutes and cures solid in a few hours. I use a weight hung off the arm to keep pressure on the boolit while it cures.

07-19-2013, 08:59 PM
The JB Weld should have hardened overnight. I've used JB Weld, but favor the hot melt glue method, also.

I agree with the index mark suggestion. Consistency is important, and I always install the top punch and sizing die with the same orientation.

Boyscout
07-19-2013, 09:19 PM
JB Weld was old and I suspected that may have been part of the problem thats why I tested it first. My wife has a bunch of hot melt. I will try that first. Thanks for the input.

gwpercle
07-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I use epoxy putty, from the plumbing department, cut two sections and knead together. It sets up in 8-hours but it doesn't run or drip. Been told the slow curing stuff is sets up harder than the fast setting epoxies...but we are just pushing lead boolits . I had a problem with some epoxy dripping into places it didn't need to go, so I tried a little of the putty and worked like a charm...have fit several top punches over the years with no failures to date.

Gary