PDA

View Full Version : 1911 milspec mags, $8.95

Jim
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
E-SARCO has nice 1911 milspec magazines (http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/191145automagazine.aspx)for $8.95 each and $5.95 shipping.

MtGun44
07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Jim,

They look OK, and a very good price, but they have early release lips, not really milspec.

The only REAL milspec mags that I am aware of are made by Checkmate, and they cost more than double that.

NOW - early release mags are NOT bad, just not milspec and for the really shortnosed boolits like
H&G130/Lym452488 the early release is more likely to feed properly. So not being milspec is not
some great crime, just a point of accuracy.

That is a heck of a price.

Bill

TCLouis
07-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Hope they work with the small ring Mauser conversion cause I just bought some.

Jim
07-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Jim,

They look OK, and a very good price, but they have early release lips, not really milspec.

The only REAL milspec mags that I am aware of are made by Checkmate, and they cost more than double that.....Bill

They're not stamped "US GOV'T." either, but $9 for a well made brand new magazine, I thought somebody would be interested.

scattershot
07-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

seagiant
07-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Hi,
Be interesting to know who made them???

mtgrs737
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I didn't see the number of rounds this magazine holds, being milspec I guess I can figure 7 rounds.

scattershot
07-20-2013, 12:41 PM
That would be my guess, as well. Just as God and John Browning intended. The only trouble I have had with 1911 mags was with 8 rounders, FWIW.

xacex
07-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I bought some and had problems after a while with the feed lips spreading. The metal is not a thick enough gauge to make them a reliable mag beyond a couple of dozen loadings. The ones I have been getting from keepshooting.com are much better. thicker gauge metal, and I have yet to have one fail on me. They cost a little more 11.95$ but are well worth it. I have ten of them that get fed offen. They have some good Saiga 12 mags as well. The colored AR mags are junk.

seagiant
07-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi,
I use Wilson Combat 8 rd mags and they are flawless,but they do not sit flush with bottom of course, and they are not $8.99 either!

mroliver77
07-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I bought a sack of milsurp mags at a gun show a few years ago. The Numbers on the mags put them at Nam Era. They were $7 each or 3 for $15. I got quit a few. Never a problem out of any of them!
When going aftermarket Checkmate is my favorite.

J

35remington
07-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Whether the feed lips hold their shape has less to do with the thickness of the metal and more to do with whether they are made to a spring temper or not. Magazines of the true "mil spec" quality have tapered feed lips, a flat bottomed follower with a dimple, flush fit seven shot capacity and a good spring temper.

The magazine body is a spring as well. Allows the feed lips to flex and return back to the original shape. Cheap mags skip this step.

If the magazine is of recent manufacture and is a real GI it says, at MtGun said, "Checkmate" on it. Has the knight's chess piece stamped on the bottom. Checkmate also made the original spec GI magazines in large quantity some years ago so yes, they are an authentic milspec magazine provider.

These guys ain't.

seagiant
07-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi,
The dimples important!

MtGun44
07-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Now, THOSE are GI mags, with no early release lips.

THESE are how John Browning intended, regardless of the erroneous previous post, although
the baseplates are almost certainly welded sheet steel rather than milled and pinned. I
attach no impartance to that. I do carry an original milled and pinned floorplate mag in
the well for my carry gun, and it is nickeled - the ULTIMATE in mag finish. NOTHING feeds
smoother than a nickel plated mag.

Bill

TCLouis
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Ordered on the 20th, received on the 25th.
All fed the top round off of the mag dropping the slide.

Will function test some this weekend.

Figure 4-5 per mag, otherwise I have to load more ammo and I do not have a decent shooting load.
I did receive an "energetic" load via PM today that I may just sneak up on.

I do have 2 lbs of Unique I was given recently after all.