PDA

View Full Version : Crazy load for the 460S&W Will this work?

donald150
07-19-2013, 02:23 PM
After seeing a 10mm round that "Double Tap" makes, consisting of a lead ball topped by a bullet, I thought of trying that concept in a 460.

I made a few to see how it would look, but never fired them.

Is it safe to take a 200gr wadcutter, top it with another 200gr bullet and load it like it was a 400gr projectile?
What about a 200gr ball topped with a 200gr bullet and loaded like a 400gr projectile?
is this just craziness or will it work?

DrCaveman
07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Very interesting. The concept worked for me in 357 mag though I shot at pretty low velocity

It might be a good idea to try a trailboss or unique load before running the stout stuff

I was a little disappointed to learn that the 460 mag cylinder is not long enough for a 410 she'll so this kind of fixes that

Hopefully the compensator doesn't cause any issues but I'm failing to see how it would
Let us know how it goes, please!

donald150
07-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I haven't really thought about this load in a long time. I have 6-8 of them loaded up that I am too chicken/smart to shoot (for now).
I thought about swapping the round ball for a wad cutter, but I'm not sure if it would break away from the main bullet like I want

You don't see any problems with having nothing between the ball and powder?

As for the compensator, mine doesn't have one. Mine has a 2-3/4" barrel.

Whiterabbit
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Personally I don't see the point and think it's a useless idea. HOWEVER, I don't see anything unsafe or problematic assuming your head was screwed on tight when picking the powder charge. I would have no issues pulling the trigger on those in my BFR.

I see NO problems with the air space between the ball and the powder. Pretty sure the ball will nicely flatten against the bullet in front. Might cup the base of the bullet too. I'd predict terrible accuracy. Maybe a bunch of lead spit from the cylinder. But nothing unsafe.

--------------

I don't know how comparable lilgun is to H110 weight for weight, but if it is you use WAY more powder than I tend to. I shoot my 400+'s to 1350-ish fps.

donald150
07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Personally I don't see the point and think it's a useless idea. HOWEVER, I don't see anything unsafe or problematic assuming your head was screwed on tight when picking the powder charge. I would have no issues pulling the trigger on those in my BFR.

I see NO problems with the air space between the ball and the powder. Pretty sure the ball will nicely flatten against the bullet in front. Might cup the base of the bullet too. I'd predict terrible accuracy. Maybe a bunch of lead spit from the cylinder. But nothing unsafe.

--------------

I don't know how comparable lilgun is to H110 weight for weight, but if it is you use WAY more powder than I tend to. I shoot my 400+'s to 1350-ish fps.

Come on, pointless is the theme here. Remember, my 460 has a 2-3/4 in barrel.
I just want to make them just to say I did and for a little fun.

Now that im thinking about this again, I think I am going to find a mold for some Gas Checked Wad Cutters and load them under a 45ACP bullet. This project is not tops on my list right now but I will post some pics when im done. :shock:

Whiterabbit
07-25-2013, 01:14 AM
you will strip the ball on the rifling no matter what. Topped by a 45 acp bullet, you will strip both when loading H110 or AA#9. Ask me how I know.

Still pointless, but I'm sure you wont get into trouble firing them. I just predict the acp bullet will tumble and the holes will be 12" apart at 7-10 yards.

I assumed by "work" you meant both bullet leave the barrel with enough authority to kill a man. Of that I have no doubt! Gonna work.

Whiterabbit
07-25-2013, 01:16 AM
my idea of pointless fun would be a cast zinc bullet in a 45 acp mold. That sucker will come out about 115 grains of solid zinc. You couldn't put enough H110 in the case to get into trouble. 55, 56, 57 grains, just fill to .1" below top and seat bullet on top of the powder. Truly. And when you touched one off the only thing more intense than the recoil would be the insane fireball coming out in three directions!