PDA

View Full Version : Maybe you guy's can clear some thing up!

Fly
07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I have read about glassing a stock & free flouting the barrel.I have a Mosin Nagant I have been
playing with.Glassing & free floating the barrel seem to do opposing things.Please exsplain?

Fly

Epd230
07-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Glassing the action provides a custom fit for the action. This fit keeps the action and barrel in the same position for each shot. Consistancy is the key for accuracy.

Free floating the barrel allows the natural vibration of the barrel when a shot is fired. This will improve accuracy in that the barrel is free to move like a wave with the shot and pressure. If you have a contact point on the barrel, it will change the vibration wave of the barrel. It could also be inconsistent from shot to shot, thereby changing point of impact.

Sensai
07-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I'll give it a try. Glassing, or glass bedding, the stock is actually bedding the action. The intent is to remove any play between the stock and the action. This removes, or at least reduces, the shot to shot differences that different points of contact between the stock and action can create. The perfect, though impractical, action bedding would have the action permanently welded/epoxied/ glued into the stock. Free floating the barrel has the same intent of removing shot to shot differences, but the opposite implementation. When a gun is fired the barrel vibrates. When the barrel touches anything the harmonic vibration is influenced. If the contact point and pressure are not exactly the same each shot the barrel vibration will be different. One way around this is to be sure that the barrel doesn't touch anything when it vibrates, thus "free floating". There are some barrels that shoot better with a pressure point from the fore-end, and some actions that shoot well in a stock that looks like it was inletted with a hatchet. Althought consistency is the name of the game, the exceptions are what make the game worth playing!

Fly
07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Have you guy's tried doing these, @ seen improved results in shinking groups on the Mosin's?

Fly

country gent
07-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Glass bedding an action gives it a tight form fit to the stock with out bending or stress being induced. Floating the barrel allows harmonics to repeat and become consistent. Barrel bands, hand gaurds, All affect this and how well it works. A hand gaurd bearing against the reciever ring will really change harmonics effect. Pillars in the stock also help with this consistency, by doing away with wood compression or spring. Glass bedding is not a cure all it is an improvement but solvents can soften it. Compression takes its toll also. Recoil can take a toll after several 1000 rounds it may need to be "touched up" to maintain the cutting edge accuracy. Removing tension when rifle is not being used helps to extend bedding life. Tourqeing action screws is a plus also. It allows screws to be consistently tightened the same every time, maintaining consistency.

Nickle
07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I'll give it a try. Glassing, or glass bedding, the stock is actually bedding the action. The intent is to remove any play between the stock and the action. This removes, or at least reduces, the shot to shot differences that different points of contact between the stock and action can create. The perfect, though impractical, action bedding would have the action permanently welded/epoxied/ glued into the stock. Free floating the barrel has the same intent of removing shot to shot differences, but the opposite implementation. When a gun is fired the barrel vibrates. When the barrel touches anything the harmonic vibration is influenced. If the contact point and pressure are not exactly the same each shot the barrel vibration will be different. One way around this is to be sure that the barrel doesn't touch anything when it vibrates, thus "free floating". There are some barrels that shoot better with a pressure point from the fore-end, and some actions that shoot well in a stock that looks like it was inletted with a hatchet. Althought consistency is the name of the game, the exceptions are what make the game worth playing!

+1 to this.

I have many rifles that prefer a free floating barrel, and definitely a match 22 that prefers the barrel preloaded a little on the end of the stock.

Fly
07-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Well I love my WW11 rifles.I have two Mosins & one Finn in my collection.I'm not a Bubba guy & like to leave them as is.
But the one Mosin Laminate stock & gun I'm playing with I guess some could call it Bubba,ed

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0024.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/Fly61/media/DSCN0024.jpg.html)

But I do want to keep it as stock as I can but see how well I can get it to shoot with out to much changing looks.

Fly

Gtek
07-19-2013, 11:05 PM
How far you jump is your call. If I was jumping in that pond- first pillar, then bed and go end of chamber under barrel. Then go inside stock/handguard and carefully remove any wood touching barrel and if carefully done you will see nothing from outside. The wood used is a notch above pallet wood and very sappy. Epoxy sometimes does not stick well, build mechanical bonds into your bedding. The trigger is also an issue on these weapons. The Finn's addressed it, shimming or aftermarket on the Ruskies. Have fun- Gtek